A girl who looks silly while doing Martial Art

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok mamama,

Bear in mind that the biggest dropout time is for students is from newbie to six months. So hang in there, it gets better.

Many years ago I had a student named Bronstein. Poor Bronstein couldn't coordinate a simple step and punch technique.

"Now step and punch. The other hand. Remember to bring the other hand back when you punch. No, just the one hand. Remember to turn the punch palm down. No, just the one out there. Leave the one by your belt palm up. That's right, turn it up. No, not the one you are punching with. Good, now time for TWO.

The point? Everyone has a Bronstein day once in a while. New students have more of them. Also, it's a gas to watch when one of the upper belts is having such a day.

So here is the big secret...keep showing up.

I am going to have to steal that analogy.

And that big secret really is the only secret. Just keep showing up and training. You never get better at something if you don't keep trying.

With the amount of time you have put in you should not feel "silly" at all. Everyone learns at a different rate and you will find that certain things will come naturally to you while someone else just struggles and struggles with it.

I am currently training as a garage student so classes are really small. My wife, myself, the two "kender" and 2 other guys are the entire class. We are all getting the same instruction but we all move "differently". None of us are wrong in our movements we just gravitate to different fighting methods. I tend to use a lot of low level kicks. Another student deals with a light paralysis in his legs and that makes those techniques difficult so he emphasizes a different method of attack because it is what he "knows" how to due well. That will change as he progresses. So will you technique, skill and confidence. Plateaus are normal, use them to catch your "breath" and just keep training.

Enjoy the journey.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know that im not the only one that's feeling that way heehee:') Can I know how long did it take you to overcome all these self-doubt ***** and get really determined with whatever you were doing?

I don't think it was self doubt really, just frustration that what looked so simple for the instructor was not working for me. It happens, so don't worry about it. Stay with it, practice, and it will come. But just getting better isn't the goal. Getting really good and confident is.

Woootss! You started hapkido during your mid 40s? how old are you now!?:bangahead: All the people around me who have involved or who're involving in martial arts all started when they were around urrhm 10 years old? kk #trying to convince myself age doesnt matter#

I was in my mid-20s when I began TKD. Age isn't so much a bar as some people might think. In fact, Hapkido is often attractive to older masters of other arts. It doesn't require so much hitting and kicking (not that you don't need to learn those things as well). But Hapkido is more defensive. When the student you mentioned above keeps backing up, suggest you remind him of that, and that backing up is not normally a suggested technique. But then sparring in Hapkido is a little tricky anyway. It takes great skill on both participants part to accomplish that without injury to one or the other.

Thank you very much for the advice and reply though! :hug: have a good day&take care!

As with most all people here at MT, I am glad if I can help. You have a good day as well. Also keep studying. You will indeed get better, and find learning easier as you progress. It's one reason you start with simple basics; something to build on, even if what you are learning now doesn't seen simple or basic now.;

Guy Preston

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum so only just seeing this now...

To the OP, don't worry about it!! easier said than done, huh? Well think about this...(some already said before I know!!)

- Any good instructor will work with you as long as it takes for you to get something, don't worry about 'bothering them' - when I am teaching I would be far more upset by someone needing help and not asking for it.

- We are all our own worst critics... while you are thinking you look stupid, others are probably thinking that was pretty good.

- There is no race to get things, any growth/benefit is personal to you - as long as you are getting what you want/need from your training it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

- Not getting a training partner, I don't know the mechanics of your class, but I would be very dissapointed in any of my students if they didn't welcome you to train with them. Even if there were odd numbers you would be asked to join into a threesome (no jokes!!)

All the best with your training!!!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
P/s: Im always the one who can't find a partner when we have to partner up for some techniques. And and, Idk if it's just me but every time, literally EVERY TIME when it comes to sparring, I feel like guys always take it easy on me, and sometimes with an easy smile on their face! :wah::wah::wah:

This is going to happen, yeah. I've been doing hapkido for 4 years - I even teach it once a week - and pretty much every time I work with a new guy I have to prove myself to him to some extent. So many of them are uncomfortable "beating up" a woman. I find that a combination of reassuring them and knocking them on their butt a few times usually does the trick. :D

Edit: Also, don't worry if it takes you a while to learn some things. I had a really hard time with falling and getting thrown, too, but it was really rewarding once I could finally do them.

Latest Discussions