Doctors

S

SMAC

Some styles used to teach healing before martial arts techniques. Are there medical doctors out there in martial talk? How many people are trained in first aid?

OP
Y

yilisifu

I am an acupuncturist (and certified in CPR and first-aid). Yes, the old Chinese tradition often made the student learn one of the facets of tradiitonal Chinese medicine before he/she was allowed to teach, Sadly, this "tradition" is about gone now.

OP
D

Despairbear

I work as a firefighter-EMT (emgerancy medical tech.), and have been doing so for a number of years. As a result I am the "first aid guy" at the dojo and usaly take care of the minor bumbs a brusis we get.

Despair Bear

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am trained in professional CPR and First Aid. I had to respond to injury calls at the college I did Campus Police for. Now, I am like Despairbear. I'm the "fixer-upper" at work and in the dojang.

OP
J

Jill666

I'm a nurse, and generally take care of the first aid (also the "is this broken" on occaision). Also stich removal services on a couple of occasions- gotta be careful with those live kamas...

But we also have an EMT and a Deputy Fire Chief/Fire Marshall for the city in my class. Also all our instructors are required to be current in CPR & First Aid.

As for healing techniques- I'm learning Kyosho (pressure-point fighting) and we do learn healing for any incidental injury and for knockouts. However, we don't practice knockouts as a rule for reasons that should be obvious.

BTW, I love my acupuncturist- very, very much. :kiss:

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
As for healing techniques- I'm learning Kyosho (pressure-point fighting) and we do learn healing for any incidental injury and for knockouts. However, we don't practice knockouts as a rule for reasons that should be obvious.

Jill-
What are you learning in your Kyusho classes? Have you explored Katso (engery restoration) with these classes? Kano's first book "The Complete Kano Jiu-Jitsu" by Kano and Hancock has a chapter on Katso in the early 1930's version of the book and I think it survived the edit in 1960.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

OP
J

Jill666

Thank you! Yes, just a bit. Especially the intestinal points. I now am able to stop hiccups by removing energy, and a little about energy restoration via points on the arm and head/neck.

Keep in mind I'm beginning this study. And since I've been looking for material to read, I appreciate the contribution... A lot of the stuff out there is extremely advanced quigong info (ie: wordy and over-inclusive). I will be picking up one of Dillman's books, but don't want to rely on one source.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Food for thought. One of my students suffered a heart attack after covering a class for me last week. (He is doing fine, thankfully). But I see that I have failed in a big way as a teacher; none of my students (at this particular club at least) is CPR trained or certified. Obviously that will changing directly.

OP
J

Jill666

I'm glad he's okay. Is so easy in retrospect to see how you SHOULD have done things. :asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I know.
I'm certified, and take my ability to respond to a cardiac incident for granted (ok, my sucess rate sucks, but hey, I'm a cop, not a paramedic.... at least I consistently get there and do something) and forget that my students don't have the same exposure.
But we are scheduling an in-school certification clinic, and henceforth CPR and first aid will be a brown belt requirement.
And of course my student didn't tell anyone, just drove himself to the hospital...

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Acupuncturist, and training in Chinese Die Da ("hit and fall") medicine. All instructors in my Chinese martial arts organization must also attain a level of proficiency in the above.

Ex-EMT (6 years) and CPR trained.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com .... my student didn't tell anyone, just drove himself to the hospital...

while having an heart attack? Kind of reckless isn't it? Could have caused an accident on the way.

Latest Discussions