Do you smoke?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I still need to quit. I have a box of patches in front of me right now...

Dude, please go for it! Emphysema will sure ruin your martial arts career.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I never understood any athlete that smokes it is a great way to end your careers smelling like a chimney. To answer the question no not at all and never will.
Terry
P.S. for those of you trying to quit stop trying and just do it----- just like Nike.
My prayer goes out to all that wish to stop may the new year bring you the strength to stop.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes..Curse me...I know ALL the risks..I push myself harder during cardio and lifting because of this addiction..Not that it will help...

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Dude, please go for it! Emphysema will sure ruin your martial arts career.

And Congestive Heart Failure and Lung/Esophageal/Mouth Cancer.

At least I've severely reduced the possibility of cirrhosis and brain damage.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Yes..Curse me...I know ALL the risks..I push myself harder during cardio and lifting because of this addiction..Not that it will help...

Yeah, I don't think exercise has a big effect on throat cancer. Make the change!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
And Congestive Heart Failure and Lung/Esophageal/Mouth Cancer.

Yes, if memory serves, cancer kills slightly more people from cardiovascular problems than from cancers. But at least heart disease isn't usually as painful as cancer.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, if memory serves, cancer kills slightly more people from cardiovascular problems than from cancers. But at least heart disease isn't usually as painful as cancer.

I dunno...I've worked hospital ers and such throughout my life and watching someone succumb to CHF is not at all pretty.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Egg. Neither is pretty nor fun, I'm sure. And I believe arni is correct that many cancer patients experience cardiac arrythmia and arrest as a secondary condition to cancer though the final causation of death.

On another note:

You folks are working SO VERY HARD on quitting for yourselves - as well you should.

You might want to know that you will also be doing your immediate family much good as well. In my family, my father and brother smoked. My brother and me both have allergies - I am missing cranial sinuses (severely atrophied), have COPD and reduced lung capacity. I have never smoked. My mother has congestive heart failure and she only smoked for a year herself. Children of smokers are at higher risk for obesity even as early in life as 3 years old.

You folks who are quitting ... you are honoring your family with your strive for life.

:asian:

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
You folks are working SO VERY HARD on quitting for yourselves - as well you should.

You might want to know that you will also be doing your immediate family much good as well. In my family, my father and brother smoked. My brother and me both have allergies - I am missing cranial sinuses (severely atrophied), have COPD and reduced lung capacity. I have never smoked. My mother has congestive heart failure and she only smoked for a year herself. Children of smokers are at higher risk for obesity even as early in life as 3 years old.

You folks who are quitting ... you are honoring your family with your strive for life. :asian:
Very well said! :asian:
Don't give up!!

MickeyC

White Belt
Reaction score
I started smoking when I was 15 (a year before I took up martial arts). I smoked around a pack a day for 33 years, tried and failed to give up several times. I quit on September 15 this year, last ciggie at 0335 in the morning (I was going away on holiday, taxi to the airport booked at 0400). I used Nicorette Inhalators - they're basically nicotine inhalers. The advantage over patches and gum is that you have something to hold in your hand and suck on, and basically get a bit of a hit.

It's not easy to give up unless and until you get in the right frame of mind - I think if I hadn't WANTED to give up the inhalers wouldn't have worked. As it was, I haven't had too much problem - and I've been dieting at the same time, lost 12 pounds, so there's no need to put on weight.

My cardio-vascular fitness has already noticeably improved, and I no longer find myself coughing. I've probably already damaged myself irreperably, what an idiot, but at least I'm not making it any worse now.

It's never too late to stop, unless it stops you first - if you're even thinking vaguely about it - go for it! You won't regret it.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I used to smoke 2 packs a day many, many moons ago. I quit cold turkey and never looked back. I wasn't very friendly for the first few weeks (or months) but I got through it. It ain't for everyone, but for me, it's one of the best things I ever did.