Do you smoke?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope no one's posted this before, or I'm gonna look pretty stupid.

Do you smoke? If you do, why do you continue to do so despite knowing that it's bad for your martial arts? I ask this regarding cardiovascular performance, not getting into cancer and the likes.

I post this question here because of its relevance to our common denominator, martial arts. Being an intense physical act (by some definitions a sport), performance can be severely inhibited by smoking habits.

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ooookay, just noticed MT has a "Health Tips for the Martial Artist" section as well as the top post in that section being smoking-related. Time to feel stupid and beg mods to move this post there. Save me, Mike!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We all love hero's and other known role models (parents/friends) also and many of us want to be like them. Monkey see - Monkey do! That's how I got started. That was High school days and I quit a very long time ago. Dumb Yea!

Today even our goverment promotes smoking by allowing the tobacco companies to keep making more smoking products. This business makes too much money for the government.

This is why many people are mad.....Wrong things can be right if the government allows it!

This is sponsor by ( Lucky Strikes) ............Ah.....Ka-ra-ta-te? Kicks are so fast....even they smoke.......ah....Aloha

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not really sure why I still smoke. Inertia?

Good quote poorly remembered from a bad movie: "I smoke in hopes that these things will actually kill me before things get too bad!"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm trying to quit... right now it's just a matter of WANTING to... I'm looking at going cold turkey in a few weeks...right now I'm in that (mental) build-up phase ... :erg:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
I'm trying to quit... right now it's just a matter of WANTING to... I'm looking at going cold turkey in a few weeks...right now I'm in that (mental) build-up phase ... :erg:

Arrgggg. Me too. I have actually learned in the past few months that I REALLY need to quit. It is starting to affect my MA training. I mean, it always has, but more so than ever. I'm in the advanced class, and they work harder and faster than the inter, and beginner students. It's getting rough.

I have tried to quit 5 times before (with the gum, the patch, cold turkey, ect). Any advice will be welcomed ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gradual cessation. Count how many you smoke tomorrow. Smoke one less cigarette every three days until done.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Gradual cessation. Count how many you smoke tomorrow. Smoke one less cigarette every three days until done.
Ya that's what I've been doing for the last few years... I was a pack -n- half a day kinda guy then now I'm down to 1/2 to 1/4 a pack depending upon stress levels... :lol:
But patches and gums and whatever else... (I've said this in another related post...) don't work until one WANTS to. Like I said... I'm working on that. :D

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod Note

Thread moved to health tips.

MJS

MT Mod

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Good advice! :)
MACaver said:
Ya that's what I've been doing for the last few years... I was a pack -n- half a day kinda guy then now I'm down to 1/2 to 1/4 a pack depending upon stress levels... But patches and gums and whatever else... (I've said this in another related post...) don't work until one WANTS to. Like I said... I'm working on that. :D
I'm sure you've read all of the tobacco threads & done your homework, so Good Luck - remember that it's never too late to quit! Please let us know how it goes whichever method you choose. :)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I told myself so many times that I would quit before I turn 30. I have 11 months left.
If setting a deadline works for you - great! :ultracool As I said to MACaver, let us know how it goes whichever method you choose.

You can also do "MT Therapy" - whenever you want a cigarette, pop some gum in your mouth & get online until the craving disappears...you might also want to keep a punching bag or a pillow close by when you're moderating & one of the "special members" ;) decides to act out! :lol:

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm right in there with MACaver on this one. I probably smoke 2 packs a week right now, but I just can't put them down altogether.

Someday.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I told myself so many times that I would quit before I turn 30. I have 11 months left.
Why put off till tommorow what you CAN do today.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:

I have been doing this actually. I have cut down a lot. I went from a pack and a half a day to 15 cigs a day :partyon:

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I have been doing this actually. I have cut down a lot. I went from a pack and a half a day to 15 cigs a day :partyon:
Great--keep up the good work!! :partyon:

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bobster_ice said:
i used too smoke, it really did screw my fitness up.

Your goal, expressed elsewhere, of being one of the best martial artists in the world is obviously contradicted by smoking. I'm glad you quit.

Having a goal or compelling reason to quit is important. My wife quit before we got married because I couldn't, in good conscience, devote my life to someone I expected to die from such a vice and who was more devoted to her addiction than our lives together.

I could never start smoking because, likewise, I want to make sure I'm here with my children for as long as possible. I might die tomorrow stepping off the curb but I'm not going to help destiny along with a pack of Camels.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still need to quit. I have a box of patches in front of me right now...but, I'm still weak...pleh

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
I hope no one's posted this before, or I'm gonna look pretty stupid.

Do you smoke? If you do, why do you continue to do so despite knowing that it's bad for your martial arts? I ask this regarding cardiovascular performance, not getting into cancer and the likes.

I post this question here because of its relevance to our common denominator, martial arts. Being an intense physical act (by some definitions a sport), performance can be severely inhibited by smoking habits.
i smoke AT martial arts :D

Latest Discussions