Do u like the idea of age 18 for a black belt?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much knowledge though do you think a young boy with a year or two's training actually has? Sometimes the indicator of a place that just turns out black belts is giving them to young children. There's many places that advertise you will get a black belt in a year if you train with them, how much knowledge do you think those 'black belts' will have even if they have it in them to be good martial artists they have been cheated out of their knowledge.

And... that would be why rank only has meaning within the school/system that awarded it.
In schools that award a 1st Dan in a year, it's clear that most people can gain the knowledge and skill required for a 1st Dan IN THAT SCHOOL in one year. In other schools, that time frame is totally out of the question.

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In regards to how I feel about someone under 18 getting a black belt. I see it all the time. My instructor's son received his at 10 , and then his 2nd degree at 12. His daughter at 16. It's fine, a 1st degree black belt isn't impressive. The person wearing it though, that may be a different story. So to me no real age requirement is necessary. You will get your black belt soon, then it will hold your dobok up for years to come. Just keep training hard everyday, and now taht a belt is just a belt. The knowledge is within you not the belt.
its really interesting and i like the way you shared your views about getting the black belt. :shy::headphone:

Latest Discussions