Do u like forms?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you all actually like forms?
I can barely remember my older forms as I progress and I know I will need to know them when it comes time to test for BB.
I am taking lessons from a friend one on one in nothern & southern shaolin kung fu. I love the forms that i have learned.

Have any of you gone thru this?
TKD forms now seem so rigid and hard to me now.
My master has now started doing one steps using forms instea dof just regular street fighting scenarios so that stances can be better instilled.

how many of you still really work on forms and is there a big benefit to them?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
How many of you all actually like forms?
I can barely remember my older forms as I progress and I know I will need to know them when it comes time to test for BB.
I am taking lessons from a friend one on one in nothern & southern shaolin kung fu. I love the forms that i have learned.

Have any of you gone thru this?
TKD forms now seem so rigid and hard to me now.
My master has now started doing one steps using forms instea dof just regular street fighting scenarios so that stances can be better instilled.

how many of you still really work on forms and is there a big benefit to them?

I do forms a lot. Unfortunately, much of my training time is by myself. Working with partners is very important, but when that is not possible, forms can be a great way to train.

Fortunately for me, I like my forms, which are Chinese and Kenpo. They are a catalog of the system and I find them interesting and challenging to do well. There are several threads in the Martialtalk forums that discuss the pros and cons of forms training. Not everyone likes them, but many do.

It may be that you are discovering that you like Chinese martial arts better than Tae Kwon Do. It often happens, where someone begins training in one system, then discovers another that speaks to you in a way that the first one didn't. This is something for you to think about, and decide how you really feel. Maybe you want to switch over completely, or maybe you want to continue doing both. It is your decision to make.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I like forms, and practice them daily. I really didn't initially, because I thought they were just something I had to do just because someone said so. Later on, as I began to learn how to do them correctly, it was a much different story. Personally, I attribute a large improvement in my punching power from forms. Also, controlled breathing, which later went on to help me in sparring. You could say it's a coincidence if you want, but you'll never convince me of that. I'm not a big believer in coincidence.

I also REALLY enjoy watching someone execute a form. Not even neessarily TKD, just someone that can make me "feel" it.

I know I'm the exception, not the rule, but hey, I'm good with that. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoy patterns - as others have said, I practice alone most of the time, and there is only so much shadow-boxing one can do! But I have always liked patterns the best - they have always come more easily to me than any other aspect of TKD, and I think that they show, more than any other aspect, the integration of "martial" with "art". Sparring is a lot of fun, and there is artistry there, but it's just not the same to me.

A lot of people believe that patterns are something that must be learned to move on to the next rank - a nuisance necessary for promotion. I disagree. Performing movements in patterns is deceptively simple, and deceptively difficult. I could teach any average person off the street (assuming average physical condition and coordination) any pattern through I Dan in a short time - but the performance, no matter athletic, would lack the artistry that only comes through understanding a pattern, it's individual movements and how they relate, how to make each movement distinct and yet flow into the next movement, and how to apply each movement to a self-defense situation.

The best martial artists I have ever seen were good at patterns. Their understanding of techniques was greater, they were more fluid in their movements, they were able to apply them better... I have seen MAs who are good at sparring and not at patterns, and I have seen MAs who are good at patterns and not at sparring... but the best MAs I have seen are very proficient at patterns, and that proficiency carries over into sparring - not the other way around. At least, that's my opinion.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I love forms. I find they give amazing satisfaction when you complete them, they feel really good when you're having an on day, and if it's an off day you can start wherever there's difficulty, and work on specifics. It's like you're constantly competing against yourself to improve, and the results depend on you, unlike sparring where your opponent controls a lot of what you end up doing.
That's just my 17 yr old perspective. I know my younger instructor makes fun of me for my love of patterns, he doesn't understand the draw compared to sparring, but his dad is cool at working with me on them
Aqua

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love to do poomse and it is a great relaxer to me anyway. They seem to bring out the inner peace in me.
Terry

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the forms now I'm starting to understand the meaning more. It's interesting to see them broke down, and applied to an "attacker".

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I too love doing forms. I always have, right from the start. My original instructors were a good influence on me that way. When most of the other students did their forms at testing and tournaments, they seemed like lifeless memorized patterns. When I imagine attackers from every angle, and perform defense as though I am fighting for my life, it becomes more real - - alive. My head snaps to one direction, my eyes see the attacker moving in, and I know the audience sees him through me. When I finish my form, and the audience applaudes with enthusiasm, I know I have drawn them in to this imaginary combat scenario, and I feel good.

To me, forms are fun, and excellent exercise. If you finish a single form, and are not completely winded, you did not give it your all. If you are performing several poomse in a sequence, then you learn to pace yourself. Doing forms builds muscle tone near the bone that increases overall strength that does not come from any other kind of exercise. Forms are the physical "art" of Taekwondo, they are the solo exercise, the first stage of simulated street combat, and a way to demonstrate to an audience one aspect of Martial Art training.

Sr. Master Eisenhart

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I love forms. We still do traditional forms, very similiar to the tang so doo folks. It's very exhausting though

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Faye said:
Yep, I love forms. We still do traditional forms, very similiar to the tang so doo folks. It's very exhausting though

Which forms if I might ask?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Half the forms are very similar to TSD/ Shotokan (Pyung Ahn), and the other half is Korean (Kuk mu's). I like the pyung ahns much more; however, I do like kuk mu 4 out of the other 3.

I know- they're all Korean, but I don't know how else to put it.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
It may be that you are discovering that you like Chinese martial arts better than Tae Kwon Do. It often happens, where someone begins training in one system, then discovers another that speaks to you in a way that the first one didn't. This is something for you to think about, and decide how you really feel. Maybe you want to switch over completely, or maybe you want to continue doing both. It is your decision to make.

I think that is happening as well, but since I started out with this and have done so for a year now, I refuse to quit.
I was wondering has this happened to other people.
I felt bad yesterday when I had practice and when my instructor told me to start my form, i damn near started a kung fu form without thinking and had to catch myself.

I think i just may need to refocus. There are somethings that I am now not starting to like about TKD and I guess it is a dry spot that we all go thru and I just have to fight thru it.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I think that is happening as well, but since I started out with this and have done so for a year now, I refuse to quit.
I was wondering has this happened to other people.
I felt bad yesterday when I had practice and when my instructor told me to start my form, i damn near started a kung fu form without thinking and had to catch myself.

I think i just may need to refocus. There are somethings that I am now not starting to like about TKD and I guess it is a dry spot that we all go thru and I just have to fight thru it.

There is a certain belt level that seems to be the hardest for people to go through. For me, it was green/ purple. It just seemed like things were just standing still, and it didn't help that the old instructor kind of lost his interest in teaching. I've gone to another class/ same affiliation, and now it is a bit better. It might just be where you are at in your training, because other people have brought this up too.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Which forms if I might ask?

Pinan forms.. basaii (spelling?), corea, niangi?? (i'm sorry i can't spell them)

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
Half the forms are very similar to TSD/ Shotokan (Pyung Ahn), and the other half is Korean (Kuk mu's). I like the pyung ahns much more; however, I do like kuk mu 4 out of the other 3.

I know- they're all Korean, but I don't know how else to put it.

I love Pyung Ahn forms!! My favorite is #5. :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is my favorite also. Why do you like it so much?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite is pyung 3- I guess because it's a little strange. I just can't quite wrap my mind around the first 4 moves of #5 yet, but it's my #2 fave.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
That is my favorite also. Why do you like it so much?

sorry, you mean pyung ahn 5? It is a very challenging form for me. The most amazing part of this form (that is, if you do it right), switching from a front stance to back stance quick, the big jump.. i just love to watch it too.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
My favorite is pyung 3- I guess because it's a little strange. I just can't quite wrap my mind around the first 4 moves of #5 yet, but it's my #2 fave.

BTW, everyone talks about taegeuak and stuff, i thought I was the only one doing pyung, when i first started, i thought my school was a TSD school .. how bizarre!!

Latest Discussions