Do u like forms?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
I like forms. I like nitpicking my execution, and they also make good conditioning tools. Wish I had more room to actually practice them without compromises.

You sound like me. I'm VERY nitpicky about my technique in forms (once I know them by heart, I drill them like crazy).

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have to be, my last instructor was nitpicky and drilled it into us!: ) Proper foot placement, consistancy, relaxing between moves, power and pop in moves; all sorts of little angles and positions, balance and control

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy forms. It's very relaxing to work hard at them, being as much of a perfectionist about the movements as I can.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find that more women like forms then men. Yes, I like forms. Those that like-even love forms have succeeded in them and recognize their value. I find them a good general workout both for memory and exercise. Sometimes I just go for detail and don't go through much, other times I go through all 21.

When I started out in TKD, we had to know our previous and present belt level form for testing. Then it was changed to just the belt level form, easier for those testing IMO but not exactly good. So I continued to review all learned forms at least once a week usually at home. By the time I got to black belt, the forms were pretty ingrained in me.

Also, when I did the forms in class, I practiced with low stances to build up strength. I notice alot of people just practice the general moves without pressing themselves. I figure if you aren't breathing hard by the end of it, it wasn't to max power. If you don't practice it to max power, it will never be there in testing.

We do forms for BB testing after the first workout, initial energy-glycogen is tapped but still the beginning of the test. So doing the forms full out power is more difficult and having good memory, technique, breathing and strength helps alot. It comes from hard practice. TW

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I once watched my instructor do Taegeuk Il-Jang and he was red faced and breathing hard and said that that's the way it should be done, with power and snap

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel bad now cause seems like only me and one other person dislikes forms.
I am a blue belt now and can only remember my purple belt form.
I can teach other students everything BUT forms. I dont even remember white belt form...yea I know shame on me. For some reason I learn it cause I have too but other than that, I dont have a love bone in my body for it.

*sighs*

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another way to put it is that those who love forms stay in taekwondo. Most often those that don't find something else... Don't feel bad about it. :ultracool

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I feel bad now cause seems like only me and one other person dislikes forms.
I am a blue belt now and can only remember my purple belt form.
I can teach other students everything BUT forms. I dont even remember white belt form...yea I know shame on me. For some reason I learn it cause I have too but other than that, I dont have a love bone in my body for it.

*sighs*

Except that in your opening post for this thread you stated that you love the Chinese forms you learned. Maybe this is a sign that you would rather be training the Chinese arts. Give it some thought.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Except that in your opening post for this thread you stated that you love the Chinese forms you learned. Maybe this is a sign that you would rather be training the Chinese arts. Give it some thought.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!
i do prefer chinese forms over korean forms.
They flow a lot easier to me.

U r right Flying Crane.
I will start taking a new attitude on TKD forms & hopefully that will help.
I see my master doing his form and he works hard in them and I can tell the love and dedication for them. I dont have that same love when I do it. The first thing that comes to mind (mind...i dont say this...lol)when he says, "today is forms day" I am like ...awww *****,not f'n forms. this will b a b.s. day. I know that is bad.

This will spark a new thread for me ....

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes...yes I do.
I try to practice them every day and try to adapt as many real-world applications from each as I can.

Latest Discussions