Favorite poomse what is it? Also which do you lease like of the Poomse ??

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know with us being Tae Kwon Doist we shouldn't favor a poomse but just curious what is everyone's favorite poomse? And what is everyone lease favorite and why??

Favorite - Pal Gwu Chil Jang, Hwarang, and Keumgang

Lease Favorite - Tae Guk Yuk Jang

I love Pal Gwu Chil Jang on the account of the many different stance changes in the form at the top of the T.

Hwarang for the historical aspect of it in what it represents

Keumgang cause its my current form and plus I've placed in tournaments with this form.

Now as far as Tae Guk Yuk Jang I think that I hate this one the most cause one its one of them that I just learned not to long ago and haven't had a chance to fully familarize myself with the form. And to a lot of opposite motions in this form. But out of all the poomse I know this is my lease favorite one right now.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favourites are Pyongwon and Hansu. Pyongwon is very cool and I find it quite difficult with the controlled back side kick and direction change. Hansu always feels so technically difficult with the 45 degree changes (although I'm fine with it, it felt difficult at first).

Least favourite - Jitae I guess. It feels so weird/unsymmetrical that it just doesn't ever click with me. It was also my (late-)instructor's least favourite for the same reason. Maybe one day it will click/feel natural and I'll like it, but for now it's my least favourite.

In case people want taegeuks - most favourite is 7 and least is I guess 1 ;-)

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like Gae Baek and Hwarang best, my least favourite is Joon Gun and Choong Moo.

I like Taeguek 8 now that I've started practising it too.

Tenchi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My favorite of all has to be Chukwon, even though I do not compete with it or practice it in a general basis. After that, my favorites have to be Pyongwan, Keumgang and Chil Jang, regarding Taeguk. I like the ballance and "might" that these Poomsae transmit, they inspire me.

As for least favorite, I don't unfavor any particular Poomsae.

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like Gae Baek and Hwarang best, my least favourite is Joon Gun and Choong Moo.

I like Taeguek 8 now that I've started practising it too.

Did you find learning the Taegueks difficult or easy from your previous forms??

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My all time favorite is Koryo. Although MSUTKD gave me an appreciation for ChonKwon.

Least favorite is PyongWon simply because I don't it well & it frustrates me. I work it a lot!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
least fav: Do San, the ITA greenbelt. HATE it. and it was the one I had to teach most often...but I hated it previously...

My favorite, Hwon Yo. had it down in 2 classes.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't have a favourite either, they make up a big picture as a set, and I like that.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did you find learning the Taegueks difficult or easy from your previous forms??

Difficult, they're completely different right down to the fundamental basics like stepping, stances (ITF is much lower),even the punches were aimed at a slightly different level. Fun though, thanks to Andy Jeffries for teaching it to me!

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like Daniel, I don't have any that I dislike. The only KKW form that I know is Koryo, but my favorite forms are Bassai, Chinto, and Kang Song Kun (Kusanku/kanku). I also really like Wansu (Empi), Seisan, Rohai, and Jion, although we don't practice these forms for testing anymore.. .

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Out of the KKW poomsae I know, I like practicing Taebaek and Keumgang the most in that order. I would like Koryo too except for a personal irrational reason.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who Me?

My Favorite(s): Taegeuk Sam Jang (I like the sharp front snap kicks and neck strikes), Taegeuk Chil Jang (Gotta love those cat stances and the press down palm blocks), Pal Gwe Pul-jang (Hammer fists), Koryo (cuz it's the form I had to master to get a BB, and it's a really cool form too!), and finally Taebaek (still workin' it, and check it out, more big kitty stances, knife hands and even diamond blocks!).

My Lease Favorite: Keumgan (My balance is iffy... ok, it's still kinda sucks but getting better).

Last edited:

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My least favorite, as of this morning, whole-heartedly goes to Taegeuk Oh Jang.
We had the belt test and the Master called me up to do it with the two little kids that were testing for blue (and having some trouble), and I blanked. (Have been doing nothing but Yuk Jang for the past couple of months, so that's all that came to mind.) Remembered the beginning and the end -- the middle was a creative mix of various parts of Sa and Sam with some Il thrown in for good measure. :eek: 'Fraid this means my official demotion as queen of the middle-schoolers...

In all seriousness -- the first three Taeguks (Il, Ee and Sam) are not my favorite, just because they seemed so similar that I kept trying to substitute parts from one into the others, until I got them solidly down. Yuk has got to be my favorite right now, because it has that interesting opposite spin and the overhead arm-cross block, which reminds me of the palms-next-to-ears part in the beginning of Koryo (which just looks really cool.)

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've just as of this week completed the Tae Guk sets in learning them. I like Tae Guk 8 and Tae Guk 7, but still favor the Palgwe poomse over the Tae Guks

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favorite form would probably have to be Bassai or Chinte. There arent really any poomse/hyung that I dislike. I feel like I learn something from each of them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From my beginnings as a gup student, my master would call each rank up grew in front the class to do our current poomsae so that everyone would see each group perform them. I remember as a new student being in awe of the BB's performing Koryo. To this day, it's still my favorite, hands down.

My least favorite is Kuem Gang. Oh to have balance on both legs!

I have to say that watching MT's MSUTKD perform Chonkwon is a thing of beauty. And watching GM Lee, Kyu Hyung perform Han Su is amazing!

For those who may not care for poomsae, I submit you just haven't seen them performed by folks who do them REALLY well.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Out of the KKW poomsae I know, I like practicing Taebaek and Keumgang the most in that order. I would like Koryo too except for a personal irrational reason.
I like Taebaek a lot! I think Koryo has been my favorite because it was the one I got to do after I got my black belt, so I associate it with that year of first dan euphoria.