Do new people actually exist in BJJ?

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
What are some of the many many numerous reasons people would not want to roll with you in BJJ? Thank you!!

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is because unfortunately a lot of BJJ instructors don’t know how to teach an organized progressive curriculum.
To be fair... there are a lot of TMA instructors who don't know how to teach an organized progressive curriculum... even when they are given that organized progressive curriculum to start with.

I run across Shotokan instructors all the time who have a hard time answering the question of why the Heian Katas are taught first. Sure, they are simple, and they are easy and they contain basic techniques.... But they can't explain what are the principles taught in the Heian Kata? What principles are taught in the Tekki Kata? How do the Heian Kata prepare you for the Tekki Kata? How do the Tekki Kata build on and expand on the Heian Kata?

To many people in TMA think that they have learned a kata, once they have it memorized... instead of taking the approach that once you have it memorized, now is when you can start to study it. These same people become instructors... not knowing how the kata work together, both preparing you for the next kata and building upon the previous kata.

My experience in BJJ was similar.... the instructor picks technique of the day, in some seemingly random order. The difference has been that the BJJ instructor really understands those techniques. The BJJ instructor knows how that technique relates to the other techniques and knows the core underlying principles that are common.

I see BJJ instructors as needing to work on organizing what they know, so that it can be transmitted more effectively. I see TMA instructors as needing to do much more study, so that they actually understand what it was that they memorized.

And of course, there are plenty of exceptions on both sides... of instructors that do have the best of both. But, if I had a list of BJJ schools and threw a dart at it.... Or if I had a list of TMA schools and threw a dart at it.... I believe most of the time, the dart would pick a school that fits my above definitions.

The good news is, both of these issues are fixable. The first step for each is the same.... realizing what you need to improve with your instruction.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We got someone new!

Who's not a body builder nor wrestler.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is because unfortunately a lot of BJJ instructors don’t know how to teach an organized progressive curriculum.

In my classes I make an effort to make sure all my students understand how the different parts of the art work together, reinforce each other, and are built on common principles. I also try to make sure my students have a handle on the fundamentals before introducing the more esoteric and specialized moves. But there are schools where you will just get a random selection each day from the vast arsenal of BJJ techniques and you just have to stick around long enough for the puzzle pieces to start fitting together.
Several years ago, Gracie Barra started to impose a curriculum on their instructors. Caused quite a kerfuffle at the time.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks like I could possibly be one soon. I have no prior grappling training. I inquired about judo yesterday at a dojo not too far from me. It's affiliated with USJA. The head instructor wasn't there, but the most senior person who was teaching striking classes at the time (who is a brown belt in judo) said something about the judo training being intended as part of the overall BJJ training there (if I heard him correctly).

The head instructor will be there today. Although I'd really be there for the judo, if it's a deal where I'm required to train in BJJ - and judo is simply part of it - then I'm ready to do this.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Went in last night, found out that judo and BJJ there are separate, and that I can pay for just judo if I want. But if I do both, it's for an additional cost that's small enough for me to be a fool not to. In fact, when judo class was over, only one student (out of ten, maybe) left, while the rest remained for BJJ class.

Ordered a judo gi last night, and currently shopping for a BJJ gi. Should be starting next week.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I run across Shotokan instructors all the time who have a hard time answering the question of why the Heian Katas are taught first. Sure, they are simple, and they are easy and they contain basic techniques.... But they can't explain what are the principles taught in the Heian Kata? What principles are taught in the Tekki Kata? How do the Heian Kata prepare you for the Tekki Kata? How do the Tekki Kata build on and expand on the Heian Kata?
Some styles teach Naihanchis before Pinans. If I was to guess why it's the reverse in Shotokan, it would be because remaining in the kiba dachi in Tekki kata presents an additional challenge to Heian kata, whereas that's not the case in the Okinawan styles that put Naihanchi before Pinan.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Went in last night, found out that judo and BJJ there are separate, and that I can pay for just judo if I want. But if I do both, it's for an additional cost that's small enough for me to be a fool not to. In fact, when judo class was over, only one student (out of ten, maybe) left, while the rest remained for BJJ class.

Ordered a judo gi last night, and currently shopping for a BJJ gi. Should be starting next week.

Expecting two different gis is a bit rich.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

In my classes I make an effort to make sure all my students understand how the different parts of the art work together, reinforce each other, and are built on common principles. I also try to make sure my students have a handle on the fundamentals before introducing the more esoteric and specialized moves. But there are schools where you will just get a random selection each day from the vast arsenal of BJJ techniques and you just have to stick around long enough for the puzzle pieces to start fitting together.
Again, I wish you, or someone who teaches like you was here to learn this from. I want to learn and I’m not a quitter but kinda hate the way it’s taught here.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get that. But it sounds as if he's suggesting there's an absurdity behind getting separate gis.
Not db, but I agree with him. It's an absurdity if they expect/require you to get different gis. Since you could use one for both, and gis are expensive.

If it's not expected, and you just want to have a specific judo and bjj gi, that's not absurd. I've got like 5 different gi's that I wear depending on what art I'm currently doing.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not db, but I agree with him. It's an absurdity if they expect/require you to get different gis. Since you could use one for both, and gis are expensive.

If it's not expected, and you just want to have a specific judo and bjj gi, that's not absurd. I've got like 5 different gi's that I wear depending on what art I'm currently doing.
Got it. I don't believe that's an expectation, but when I had intended on doing judo only, I intended to get two judo gis (I think it's disgusting to try to make through the week on one). Now I'm starting out with one of each, and then I'll add as necessary over time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that. But it sounds as if he's suggesting there's an absurdity behind getting separate gis.
I think the interpretation is that you'll do the Judo class, then change Gi in between classes. That does seems silly.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's talking about a judo gi and a BJJ gi.
And they are very different for a few different reasons.

First and foremost, Brazil is hot!

The heavier judogis lend better to standup throwing. The thinner ones are better suited to sweaty groundfighting. Extended newaza in a traditional (cotton) judogi causes heat exhaustion, so the BJJ gis are fewer threads, and more breathable.

This is why nogi BJJ was created. Sweat wicking is best.

Latest Discussions