maxkawasaki

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im looking at doing some one on one BJJ sessions to help me improve a bit more separate to doing the classes.

Some things I already know I want to work on are improving my hip escapes from the bottom but would you say there is any other key things to focus on during that one on one time as a white belt?

Ive been training for just over a month now for context.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
The great thing about a one on one session is that you can an hour or so going deep into something that you really need to work on. This doesn't happen so much in class where you have to take what's being taught
So my advice would be to take a situation that you find yourself in regularly during class (eg bottom side control) and ask to work on how to survive & defend from there. Then add a simple escape or two. Try to keep the amount of new information small and maximise the opportunity to practice with regular feedback from your teacher

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on your previous question, I'd suggest asking for tips on early defenses for not getting completely flattened out in the first place.

(I'm still hoping to record some video for you in my class tonight.)

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some advice my BJJ instructor give me:

Try not to use all your strength and energy. Try not to just hang on and not move around. Relax and move. It doesn’t matter if you get submitted, swept or put in a bad position. Be comfortable and confident weather your on top or bottom. Just relax and move.

Latest Discussions