I guess bjj can Be a bit intimidating for a totally new Guy. Other arts like taekwondo are way more easily approachable . This is just because of the reputation of bjj . Even I'm intimidated by it and I have several years experience in other styles and was a MP as a conscript in the Finnish army 😅I don't know that there's ever been an actual new person in my BJJ class. Starting with me, and then most of the ones I remember:
Do actual new people exist in BJJ?
- Me, black belt in Hapkido (and 3 years in wrestling as a kid) before I started BJJ.
- Some guy who "took a few open mats" but moves like he's got a few stripes
- A guy with a year in Judo
- A superheavyweight teenager who just got done with high school wrestling
- Someone new to the gym...but he's a black belt and MMA fighter
- Someone new to the gym...but she's a purple belt
- A soldier who's trained in Combatives and actively working on PT