Do any of you know what this is??

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We might be wrong but I can confirm that your observations and investigations match mine, Carol. Took a bit of digging on the WN abbreviation, tho' it was the second area to occur to me after Wisconsin :lol: :eek:.

I still reckon a careful charcoal rub will give us more details on the stamp - if only I could fly over and do it myself ... {looks around for people to make offers to pay the air fare ... :lol:}. The top arc is likely to be a company name I reckon - the "co." at the end rather suggests that to be the case at any rate.

I agree; I'd guess the company name ends in "uss", as well... though I wonder if that "uss" could be "***" as in "brass"?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The word before "CO." is "brass"

###### BRASS CO.
TAHOMA WN.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the features of the artefact, it certainly looks as if it was mean to be mounted in some way, either to a rack with several others or solitary flush with some flat surface. It does look like a small practise round for ballistic drops from aircraft but the very smallness of it, suggestive of World War One hand dropped bombs, mitigates against that.

Doesn't look banged up enough to have been dropped. But I don't think it was decorative, either. The design isn't "nice" enough for decoration; it's definitely got a functional feel to me. Those mounting holes, for lack of a better name... how big and deep are they?

Just had a thought... could it have been attached at the base of a dagger board or similar element on a boat (I know there's a better name, I'm thinking on a fairly large boat or ship...), to assist in stability?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doesn't look banged up enough to have been dropped. But I don't think it was decorative, either. The design isn't "nice" enough for decoration; it's definitely got a functional feel to me. Those mounting holes, for lack of a better name... how big and deep are they?

Just had a thought... could it have been attached at the base of a dagger board or similar element on a boat (I know there's a better name, I'm thinking on a fairly large boat or ship...), to assist in stability?

Good point. It does look like something made for a boat -- and THAT would explain the brass. Brass stands up very well to seawater and salt air corrosion, especially if it is alloyed with an arsenide - which would have been more common in that era. It is soft metal, comparably speaking. It wouldn't make a good knife blade...but that's clearly not intended to be a sharp object.

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From the features of the artefact, it certainly looks as if it was mean to be mounted in some way, either to a rack with several others or solitary flush with some flat surface. It does look like a small practise round for ballistic drops from aircraft but the very smallness of it, suggestive of World War One hand dropped bombs, mitigates against that.

The munitions expert here said it had the weight of a ballistic drop from aircraft to simulate a 500 pounder but they were always blue yes all the holes are smooth no threading of anykind. My dog half pit bull thinks its his new chew toy I have to get a picture of that he chews through fire hose in about 5 minutes.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tahoma? Then I think we are definitely talking about Washington State. Tahoma was the original form of the word "Tacoma". The city of Tacoma was named after Mount Tahoma..... now called Mount Rainier.

There is a brass company that from 1913 until its recent move to Kent was in Tacoma, Washington:

Alaskan Copper & Brass Co.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
might it be a lead for gauging depth?..

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good thought but don't such things usually have a pit at the 'head' for collecting a sample of the bottom?

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A good thought but don't such things usually have a pit at the 'head' for collecting a sample of the bottom?
Brass is very expensive its likely to have a marine purpose i am emailing the pictures to my Airforce Munitions expert this evening it would be nice to know what and when it was used.

To add to all of this our area was famous for the refueling base for all the aircraft in WWII that was sent to Rusia on the lend lease act. in the hills above Nome there were gun implacements and many quansit huts. Why I do not know but at the end of WWII metal containers were buried under ground with Roles Royce fight plain engines hermetically sealed supposed to be worth close to $4 million dollars today. My personal friend a famous bush pilot here died two years ago it was his father that was there when they buried them. He offered to show the Gold company where they were when they were needing funds but they declined he took the info to his grave but it would seem Dicovery Channel do so much here would be interested in finding them? also we had the last Sweet Alice sight to watch over the horizon radar from Russia during the cold war. I am going to post some pictures of the sites I am talking about for you.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point... no pit... but it was a thought.

Latest Discussions