Divided by a common interest

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An old saying is that England and the USA are two countries divided by a common language. I think the same can be said of martial artists. We gather together to share a common interest, something which sets us apart from those who do not study martial arts. And then we tell each other what martial arts is, how the other person is doing it wrong, and why there is only one true way.

That seems odd to me.

Doesn't that seem odd to you?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An old saying is that England and the USA are two countries divided by a common language. I think the same can be said of martial artists. We gather together to share a common interest, something which sets us apart from those who do not study martial arts. And then we tell each other what martial arts is, how the other person is doing it wrong, and why there is only one true way.

That seems odd to me.

I didn’t understand a word of that 😉

I think this is fairly normal human behaviour, Bill. Participants within my martial art say others are doing it wrong and they’re doing it right 😂

We either follow the shoe or the gourd!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
52cef3593edaa.jpeg

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That seems odd to me.

A martial arts associate (FMA - Modern Arnis) used the school I was teaching out of for a test. One of the instructors (FMA - Modern Arnis and KMA - TSD) he associated with brought in some TSD high ranking black belts.
When they were introduced to me I gave them our formal greeting. I shook their hand and placed my left hand on their forearm.
I did this for both of the guests.
One was upset ad I heard her discussing it with the other TSD High Ranking instructor that I had insulted them by touching their person.
At first I thought it might have been that she was a female. Yet, as she went on ( not quietly ) that it was about respect and not using the formal KMA - TSD with my fist to my forearm.
I palmed a pen in my left and went up to and did the shake.
She smiled.
I then tapped her with the pen in her hand.
We Place out empty hand on your forearm during the shake so you know where both of our hands our and that they are empty and not hiding a blade.
She went from shocked and offended to guilty embarrassment to acceptance.
I said understood she meant no insult by hiding her hand and also making it into a fist.
So I ignore the threat, which meant I could defend myself with her threats. (* If taken in the formal greeting sense *)
She then laughed and I said it could just as easily been a knife in my hand.
She was not happy, yet not vocal about being insulted.
Not everyone even in the same Art / System / Org will do everything exactly the same.
Do not assume that one's own art is the only way.
Do not assume that difference is meant as insult. (* If one believes this to be true then ask / verify and then react *).
Do not make scenes.
I have given seating preference to those of lower rank, as it was something they wanted.
It does not mean that I am insulting them. They wanted to sit closer to chat, or in some cases to see better or for many other possible reasons.

I have also run into this at work.
A merger with the future work group with the near term work group ( our group ) and a Group name being common with their model and the assume we are following their process and models of operations. They could not comprehend that the same phrase could be used in a way that could possibly mean something else. :(

Peace

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why most of my arguments on this site are with people who say you must do it one way, or who look down on those who do things different.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

That seems odd to me.

I always saw each martial art as its own self-contained system with its own reasons for doing what they do.

One thing I noticed immediately when switching from Shorin-ryu to Shotokan is the difference in bunkai for the "hammer fist" in Heian Shodan/Pinan Nidan. It's lower in Shorin-ryu's Pinan Nidan, the bunkai behind it being breaking free from an attacker grabbing your wrist. In Shotokan's Heian Shodan, it's higher, and the bunkai behind it is that it's a strike to the collar bone.

And to me, they're both correct. They're both things that I could actually use.

I can say that if I look at different styles of karate do the same kata, some versions of a particular kata are more aesthetically pleasing than others, but that's the greatest extent to which I might say that one version is "better" than another's. I'll never say that one is right and the other is wrong. If there's a method to your madness, then I'm onboard with it 100%.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's funny that in a world of absolutes, where there is only one correct way of doing martial arts, each of us have found that one way, while everyone else is wrong. How unusual. What a coincidence.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
It certainly is odd, but then forums are very strange places - an eclectic collection of characters gathered together with lots of different experiences in different styles which all fall under the term 'Martial Arts' :D

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's funny that in a world of absolutes, where there is only one correct way of doing martial arts, each of us have found that one way, while everyone else is wrong. How unusual. What a coincidence.
Is it happening in this forum? Because I haven't seen it.

Outside of karate, what other martial arts teach is none of my business. Within karate, I see it as one big family with each style being a family member.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it happening in this forum? Because I haven't seen it.

Outside of karate, what other martial arts teach is none of my business. Within karate, I see it as one big family with each style being a family member.
Not seen it either - all I see is people discussing their passion with one another👍👍

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we tell each other what martial arts is, how the other person is doing it wrong, and why there is only one true way.

That seems odd to me.

You may have just ignored some posts that people agree with each other.

The world is still a pleasant place to live. :)

Agree with you 100% on this. Tradition can help you to build a solid foundation. But you have to grow beyond your foundation.

Last edited:

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

That seems odd to me.

It seems human. We know what we know, and most people get defensive when exposed to outside elements.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That seems odd to me.

Not odd. Just normal.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not odd. Just normal.
You can change that.

If A and B have some disagreement. You agree with A and you disagree with B.

Will you respond to

1. A that you agree with him, or
2. B that you disagree with him.

If you choose

- 1, the forum will have more agreement.
- 2, the forum will have more disagreement.

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
So funny, for the most part folks these days will say there are no absolutes UNTIL it pertains to them. Silly humans…

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That seems odd to me.

Probably.

But it's like a primer for marriage. Where we'll always be wrong.

Latest Discussions