disciplining kids with push ups

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have never pointed a kid out and made him do push-ups or any other exercise in front of the class, instead I make the whole class do it. If one students can't contain himself then we all suffer, including myself (I do the punishment too to show the kids I can). Sooner or later the one student causing all of problem gets the idea that his classmates are upset with him. That usually fixes it. I never start with punishment though its always after warnings and everyone knows the rules before we start class. I explain to the kids that yes we are doing exercise but in order to be a great martial artist you have to be in shape mentally and physically so its not punishment really it us getting better. I have a lot of kids come back to me and tell me that they are the fittest kid in school because of what we do in class. They see the results and then we end up having to do more exercise because they are enjoying it way to much.

I used to try that, but it became even more of a problem when I had classes with several young, restless students who just had no sense of other. If I had kept up with it, entire classes would have been spent doing push ups that most kids didn't understand how to do.

Keep in mind a good bulk of my students are four years old - barely. I plan on starting my own part time program when I move out to LA in a year or so, and I intend not to teach anyone under ten...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
More often than not kids need to be punished with, or at least be made known of the looming threat of push ups. Now, how do you get a kid to do a proper push up in order for it to be effective discipline?

Depending on the child, they may not be capable of doing a proper pushup, which IMO, would defeat the purpose of having them do them in the first place. That being said, in the past, I've done the following:

1) Have them hold the push up position. That can be just as taxing on them as he actual pushup itself.

2) Have them sit down, off to the side. After 5min or so, ask them if they are ready to come back to the class, minus the fooling around. If it continues, have them sit out for the remainder of the class.

Now, this can have a negative result too, as I've done this and have had parentsapproach me either during the class, when they realize their child is sitting or afterwards. They ask why and tell me they're not paying to have their child sit down. I tell them that I'm not here to have my class disrupted by their child, who can't seem to control themselves and pay attention. If they're going to take away from the others that're there to learn, as well as my time for teaching, then perhaps they're not ready for class. I've always had the backing of the school owners, so I was never really worried. :)

Good luck. Teaching kids can be a rather challenging task.

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the child, they may not be capable of doing a proper pushup, which IMO, would defeat the purpose of having them do them in the first place. That being said, in the past, I've done the following:

1) Have them hold the push up position. That can be just as taxing on them as he actual pushup itself.

2) Have them sit down, off to the side. After 5min or so, ask them if they are ready to come back to the class, minus the fooling around. If it continues, have them sit out for the remainder of the class.

Now, this can have a negative result too, as I've done this and have had parentsapproach me either during the class, when they realize their child is sitting or afterwards. They ask why and tell me they're not paying to have their child sit down. I tell them that I'm not here to have my class disrupted by their child, who can't seem to control themselves and pay attention. If they're going to take away from the others that're there to learn, as well as my time for teaching, then perhaps they're not ready for class. I've always had the backing of the school owners, so I was never really worried. :)

Good luck. Teaching kids can be a rather challenging task.

I am yet to have a parent complain to me about having their child sit out during class, though I have had them inquire with some attitude. Likewise, I've explained that it takes almost all of my attention away from the other students who are trying to behave. Thanks! I'm very grateful for the experience I've had teaching kids, in that it has given me a lot of patience; more so, being able to successfully teach children, I have become an even better instructor for teenagers and adults.

On a side note, your grammar is awesome.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am yet to have a parent complain to me about having their child sit out during class, though I have had them inquire with some attitude. Likewise, I've explained that it takes almost all of my attention away from the other students who are trying to behave. Thanks! I'm very grateful for the experience I've had teaching kids, in that it has given me a lot of patience; more so, being able to successfully teach children, I have become an even better instructor for teenagers and adults.

Oh yes, patience is one thing you'll definately get from kids. LOL. One thing that I've found when teaching kids, is that you need to keep their attention from start to finish. One thing that I used to do, was have some sort of a class plan set up. Depending on the size of the class, there were times when I had to alter it, but at least I had something to follow, to keep them busy. The moment you lose their attention, especially the younger kids, its hard to get it back.

On a side note, your grammar is awesome.

Thank you. :)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jumping jacks take longer, if you're looking for an immediate burn, than squat jumps.

Pushups have the advantage that they just hurt. Jumping squats otoh carry a significant risk towards knee injury. With kids perhaps not so much, but doing squat jumps till exhaustion would probably bust my left knee real bad.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bruno made a good point about the risk for injury. I still feel that whatever is done, it needs to be done correctly, otherwise the child isn't getting the full effect of the punishment. Even if they did jump squats, they could simply not jump as high or squat as low.

On the flip side, there's a way around that. :D Simply have them go against the wall in the squat position and hold it. A stick, staff, etc., can be placed across their legs. This will ensure that they maintain the squat. If the stick moves, falls, etc., it'll be apparent the child is adjusting to compensate for the uncomfortable feeling.

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My instructors used to discipline the kids by having them do pushups, but they had a tendency to flop around like fish out of water. Now, they either have to do situps or hold a kicking target in each hand, stretch their arms out and hold the position for several minutes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to try that, but it became even more of a problem when I had classes with several young, restless students who just had no sense of other. If I had kept up with it, entire classes would have been spent doing push ups that most kids didn't understand how to do.

Keep in mind a good bulk of my students are four years old - barely. I plan on starting my own part time program when I move out to LA in a year or so, and I intend not to teach anyone under ten...

For the under 4 crowd (yipes, you got a lot of them?!) or even the under 6, push-ups really don't do much good. I don't think they have the strength to do one half way correct.

Those restless kids usually got a couple of minutes on the sidelines, crossed legs, hands on their knees. If they started lounging or flouncing more sever methods were applied...

But thankfully almost all the time the parents are on board. They are usually in awe if you have their Tazmanian devil stand motionless for 30 seconds....

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the under 4 crowd (yipes, you got a lot of them?!) or even the under 6, push-ups really don't do much good. I don't think they have the strength to do one half way correct.

:)

I once tested my 3 year old daughter after seeing a program about a kid with a genetic disorder who was freakishly strong. According to the doctors, there were a couple of things that a 3 year old should not be able to do (properly), like pushups and situps because they lack the strength in their core muscles.

Without problems, she did 10 correct pushups and 20 correct situps. And she could also climb a pole hand over hand. And in the annual inter school competition for kids, she's the fastest girl of her birthyear since she was 2. When we asked around, it turned out that she is indeed on the far end of the bell curve, because usually a 3 year old can't really do those things.

Sorry I'm just having a 'proud dad moment' here :eek:

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
:)

I once tested my 10 year old daughter after seeing a program about a kid with a genetic disorder who was freakishly strong. According to the doctors, there were a couple of things that a 3 year old should not be able to do (properly), like pushups and situps because they lack the strength in their core muscles.

Without problems, she did 10 correct pushups and 20 correct situps. And she could also climb a pole hand over hand. And in the annual inter school competition for kids, she's the fastest girl of her birthyear since she was 2. When we asked around, it turned out that she is indeed on the far end of the bell curve, because usually a 3 year old can't really do those things.

Sorry I'm just having a 'proud dad moment' here :eek:
Was she 10 or 3 when you did this test. At 10 Most TKD kids can do this and more. But if she was 3, yeah my hands clap for you.
148.gif

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oopsie. That was a typo. She was 3 at the time.

She is quick with everything. She could communicate in sign at 8 months old, she started running around at 10 months, climbed ladders and stairs at 1 year, and spoke in correct full sentences at age 2, with sometimes hilarious results when people did not expect that :).

That said, the coin does have a flip side: she's an energy sink for my and my wife, because she continuously wants to learn things: counting, sums, reading and writing simple words, etc (she's barely 5...). Last week we had parent - teacher meeting, and my daughter has 3 problems: she's so far ahead that she's often bored, she always wants to win, and the biggest problem is that she has now understands that she is way ahead of the rest (which makes her difficult to handle sometimes).

Last year we suggested she skip a grade to prevent this. It would teach her some humbleness, and besides she could already do everything they were supposed to learn this year. But of course they didn't listen.

Btw just to prevent any misconceptions: we don't push her at all. She just has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, a winners mentality and the genetics to back them up. We just support her and try to keep her from injuring herself.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pushups are strength training
Strength Training is good for you
Things that are good for you should not be associated with things you are forced into as punishment.

If a student is being overly disruptive I think the best solution is to remove them temporarily, then they are "punished" by missing something they want to do, which is martial arts, rather then associating good things with punishment.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Things that are good for you should not be associated with things you are forced into as punishment.

If a student is being overly disruptive I think the best solution is to remove them temporarily, then they are "punished" by missing something they want to do, which is martial arts, rather then associating good things with punishment.

Does the military use push-ups as punishment?

OP
goingd

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I have a friend from work who told me that when he and his brother were young, if they got in trouble for acting up at school their dad would make them do one hundred push-ups as punishment. Today he is a fairly fit individual, and still works out with methods that include push-ups.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Martial Arts classes are not military training, basic training is also not meant to be fun, classes are.

I understand that, but you said:

So pushups are ok for the military, when a soldier screws up, but not ok for a child when they screw up? Strength training is strength training. What is the soldier thinking? Afterall, aren't pushups strength builders, which is good, right? I never said that classes needed to be run like boot camp. In fact, I gave alternative methods as I clearly stated in a few posts, that if the child isn't even doing the exercies right in the first place, no sense in them doing it at all.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oopsie. That was a typo. She was 3 at the time.

She is quick with everything. She could communicate in sign at 8 months old, she started running around at 10 months, climbed ladders and stairs at 1 year, and spoke in correct full sentences at age 2, with sometimes hilarious results when people did not expect that :).

That said, the coin does have a flip side: she's an energy sink for my and my wife, because she continuously wants to learn things: counting, sums, reading and writing simple words, etc (she's barely 5...). Last week we had parent - teacher meeting, and my daughter has 3 problems: she's so far ahead that she's often bored, she always wants to win, and the biggest problem is that she has now understands that she is way ahead of the rest (which makes her difficult to handle sometimes).

Last year we suggested she skip a grade to prevent this. It would teach her some humbleness, and besides she could already do everything they were supposed to learn this year. But of course they didn't listen.

Btw just to prevent any misconceptions: we don't push her at all. She just has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, a winners mentality and the genetics to back them up. We just support her and try to keep her from injuring herself.

LOOL, proud dad moment indeed.

The wee one is a prime candidate for homeschooling - if it's available for you - or a gifted program, also not readily available - sadly enough. the smart kds are thrown under the buss in favor of the dumb ones more often than not (I guess there are more of the latter than the former)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial Arts classes are not military training, basic training is also not meant to be fun, classes are.

Yeah, bu the fun ends when discipline suffers.

I don't know anybody who likes to do push-ups. I consider doing pushups for punishment like homework: Nobody likes it but it's good for you. So you kill several birds with one stone: More strength training, more energy burned and an undesirable consequence for misbehaving.

It is a matter of context though.

Latest Discussions