Difference between Kajukenbo and Wun Hop Kuen Do?

UTShooter

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings, I have a question about the first formal martial art I was fortunate enough to study. This was a Wun Hop Kuen Do school in Utah. This was back in the 80's. I wasn't able to stay with it for all that long, maybe six months. Since then I have heard that it and Kajukenbo were similar and would like to know more; looking for a school in Colorado and I cannot find a Wun Hop Kuen Do school nearby.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In short, Al Dascascos was a student of Kajukenbo. Later, Sijo Emperado started to add more of a kung fu flavor to his art and called it "Tum Pai". Later Al Dascascos and Al Dela Cruz further added more kung fu to the Tum Pai and the name changed to "Chuan Fa".

Al Dascascos came to the main land and continued to study various styles and kung fu to create Wun Hop Kuen Do.

So, I guess you could say that Wun Hop Kuen do has Kajukenbo roots and kung fu branches. So, there will be some recognizable things to it. But, even then, there are various branches of Kajukenbo that alter the flavor to its approach. As a whole, I think that Kajukenbo does a very good job at quality control to use the name, so if you do find a school there is a very good chance it is a quality school.

Latest Discussions