Did you kick anything in your Shotokan or Goju Ryu kick training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Selective memory?
Not at all... I remember that post quite well... one of the better responses to attitude I have seen. (trying to remember that one so I can use it sometime ;) )

I have also been around here long enough to know that you have to work quite hard (read: have a lot of attitude...) to get a response like that from Buka.

Had you led with post #135, there is no way you would have gotten that response from Buka. So in that sense... I got to thank you for that... I enjoyed it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back when we opened our first school (TKD) there was a good Shotokan presence in our town and adjoining county. Many of us cross trained at each others school as a professional courtesy and regularly met for sparring sessions. Let me tell you, those Shotokan guys definitely knew how to kick. Good times.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back when we opened our first school (TKD) there was a good Shotokan presence in our town and adjoining county. Many of us cross trained at each others school as a professional courtesy and regularly met for sparring sessions. Let me tell you, those Shotokan guys definitely knew how to kick. Good times.

Well I never said that they can't kick. I've trained in the same building as a Japan Karate Association, Shotokan school under the tutelage of an 8th Dan master, and they never used any tools to kick.

I sat and watched in-between my training. I guess they bring it out whenever I'm not there:oops:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I never said that they can't kick. I've trained in the same building as a Japan Karate Association, Shotokan school under the tutelage of an 8th Dan master, and they never used any tools to kick.

I sat and watched in-between my training. I guess they bring it out whenever I'm not there:oops:
It sounds like you need to adjust your training schedule days or just stick with it until you start practicing more advanced tactics. Enjoy the journey.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to adjust your training schedule days or just stick with it until you start practicing more advanced tactics. Enjoy the journey.

I do not train Shotokan. I was in the same building, watching their classes. They never hit anything, and it was Brown belt to black belt classes.

The quality control of their black belts is higher than any TKD organisation. If you have a black belt in JKA Shotokan, you've earned it. So that's not the point.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not train Shotokan. I was in the same building, watching their classes. They never hit anything, and it was Brown belt to black belt classes.

The quality control of their black belts is higher than any TKD organisation. If you have a black belt in JKA Shotokan, you've earned it. So that's not the point.
Okay, so what Specifically is your point?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do they kick things every week at most schools? Was this somehow an outlier I watched despite the very famous instructor?
The answer is yes they do kick things as multiple people have already answered but you have chosen to ignore in your arrogance

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And the clip you linked was not a Shotokan class, it was individual training.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, its still done today. Bag work has always been important. I am not a shotokan guy, but Goju Ryu, is part of the Shudokan curriculum.

So heavy bags are hanging in Goju Ryu dojos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions