Did you kick anything in your Shotokan or Goju Ryu kick training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did Shotokan as a kid, never kicked anything. Actually visited that same place repeatedly and never saw any power training on targets then either. Did ITF TaeKwondo and we kicked and punch kicking shields from day one.

In fact, one of the things i requested to join was that we kicked things and not just air in my email to the school:)

Papageno

White Belt
Reaction score
We use mitts and punch bags in our training, but only occasionally.

I think the way we train differs from club to club. Sure, every Shotokan club use the same kicks, punches and blocks, but the Sensei decides what's right for his/her club.

When I started, many years ago, I was traiining in a club that produced great kata artists, but no fighters. We didn't train any kumite at all. So when I (after a 25 year pause) join my current club, kumite was a major part of the exercises. I'll never forget my first kumite session facing a 100 kg and 2 meters tall black belt! My entire body told me: RUN! I was terrified of kumite for about six months. Then I actually learned to enjoy this part of Karate. Still get my *** kicked though...

My point here is that no two Shotokan clubs are alike, so it's impossible to answer a question like "Do you do this and that in Shotokan" Karate is versatile, let's just enjoy!

Best of luck in your training,. however you choose to perform it.
/Papi

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep did it for a couple of months and did pad and bag work every class

Lol yeah because they’re going to change their training because you “requested “ it. Man I can imagine what the instructor must’ve thought reading that

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Lol yeah because they’re going to change their training because you “requested “ it. Man I can imagine what the instructor must’ve thought reading that

Kicking something is not that big an ask in a martial arts class.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

My guess is that he miswrote what he typed here. More of stating/mentioning what he's looking for in a school, with one of the things being actually kicking things. Not so much expecting them to change how they do things to get a prospective student.

And like @drop bear said, unless it's a style without kicks, that really isn't a crazy request to have.

Also not as a prospective student, but I've absolutely requested we do some stuff we didn't previously do and the instructors listened.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t, but my foray into Shotokan was pretty brief. A student I had for 3 years was former Shotokan (in Germany), and they did - including each other.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My guess is that he miswrote what he typed here. More of stating/mentioning what he's looking for in a school, with one of the things being actually kicking things. Not so much expecting them to change how they do things to get a prospective student.

And like @drop bear said, unless it's a style without kicks, that really isn't a crazy request to have.

Also not as a prospective student, but I've absolutely requested we do some stuff we didn't previously do and the instructors listened.

I did not miswrite. I asked for something and if it wasn't there, I wasn't going to join.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The ones I've asked reply either: "no", "yeah this monday we did (aka rarely)", "if somebody brings it in we might do it here and there", etc.

Now that is quite remarkable. I don't know of any TaeKwondo dojang that does not use it at least twice a week.. maybe pass a day or two. However, some of the Olympic ones may mostly use floppy pads, which is like kicking a feather, won't do anything for power training, only precision.

Our school did not use floppy pads, thankfully.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not miswrite. I asked for something and if it wasn't there, I wasn't going to join.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. You asked if they had it and stated you would join. You didn't tell them they had to include it (just that it had to be there for you to join).

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You asked a question. You’ve already refused to accept one answer that didn’t match your narrative. Not sure what you hope to gain here

Yeah because if you pay close attention to his posting history, he is tracking me on the forum and writing contrarian posts whenever he can.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ones I've asked reply either: "no", "yeah this monday we did (aka rarely)", "if somebody brings it in we might do it here and there", etc.

Now that is quite remarkable. I don't know of any TaeKwondo dojang that does not use it at least twice a week.. maybe pass a day or two. However, some of the Olympic ones may mostly use floppy pads, which is like kicking a feather, won't do anything for power training, only precision.

Our school did not use floppy pads, thankfully.
You must’ve missed my answer that said we did it every class....oh no wait you already said I made it up just because it doesn’t fit your fantasies.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm saying. You asked if they had it and stated you would join. You didn't tell them they had to include it (just that it had to be there for you to join).

And I think request is an okey word for that. Request and demand are not synonymous. So not sure I miswrote anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions