Deputy stabs BG in weapons retention situation

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
...the deputy felt the suspect grab his handgun in an attempt to remove it from its holster. As he fought with the suspect to maintain control of his gun with one hand, and believing he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily injury, the deputy drew a knife from his duty belt with his free hand and stabbed the suspect in the upper body. The suspect stopped fighting at that point...
http://www.sacsheriff.com/media/0116_vehicle_stop.cfm

While the press-release doesn't specify, the way it's written makes it sound like he used a fixed blade ("drew from belt" as opposed to "drew from pocket"). I'm a huge fan of the "off side fixed-blade" for this very reason (I use a push-dagger for this role but the TDI's are great too).
Anyway, good on him...it's just too bad the BG wasn't stopped permanently.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.sacsheriff.com/media/0116_vehicle_stop.cfm

While the press-release doesn't specify, the way it's written makes it sound like he used a fixed blade ("drew from belt" as opposed to "drew from pocket"). I'm a huge fan of the "off side fixed-blade" for this very reason (I use a push-dagger for this role but the TDI's are great too).
Anyway, good on him...it's just too bad the BG wasn't stopped permanently.
That's great!

I've started carrying the TDI support side for just that purpose.....glad to see the strategy work as advertised!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTex said:
I'm a huge fan of the "off side fixed-blade" for this very reason

Same here...Some of the jerks I work with carry theirs in every imaginable place that would make getting to in an emergency impossible, but what do I know...

That's great!

I've started carrying the TDI support side for just that purpose.....glad to see the strategy work as advertised!

They are a great little surprize..

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The deputy acted correctly and rightly. Who knows what that BG would've done had they gotten their hands on the weapon. Subdue the bad guy by any means/level necessary.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good news!

I got one of the TDI knives to experiment with when they started getting popular. It's too small and odd-shaped for me but then I don't use it as intended (as a last-ditch defense).

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've carried various "tactical" folders weak-side for many years. Latest and current is the Cold Steel Recon; it's very fast and a big-strong knife that can be used as an impact weapon if need be.

I looked at the TDI and a couple of similar small fixed-blades; but the probem I have is where to carry. On my weak side, I have my radio, my Taser, a cellphone case, and a key-ring. Not much room left....

Admittedly a fixed-blade is better; but I'm not uncomfortable with the Recon.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good news!

I got one of the TDI knives to experiment with when they started getting popular. It's too small and odd-shaped for me but then I don't use it as intended (as a last-ditch defense).
It's a little small for general use......but it's just great for it's intended purpose, as a small slung foward fixed blade, carried in the under belt, accessible on the support hand side, and used to cut the BG off of your firearm by any means necessary.

There is a larger version of the TDI, but it's a little large for comfortably carrying under the duty belt.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've carried various "tactical" folders weak-side for many years. Latest and current is the Cold Steel Recon; it's very fast and a big-strong knife that can be used as an impact weapon if need be.

I looked at the TDI and a couple of similar small fixed-blades; but the probem I have is where to carry. On my weak side, I have my radio, my Taser, a cellphone case, and a key-ring. Not much room left....

Admittedly a fixed-blade is better; but I'm not uncomfortable with the Recon.

The TDI is actually designed to be carried on your under belt, under your duty belt, with the handle sticking up behind your Taser, radio, cell phone case or key-ring....I keep in front of my Taser, under my Pepperspray case, so it's somewhat concealed from very.....but easy to grab.

I carry two folders too, but the TDI is quicker and easier to grab under pressure.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that things worked out well for the officer. It could have taken a much worse turn. Of course, I'm sure some member of the media or public, will turn the story around, making the deputy seem like the bad guy.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad that things worked out well for the officer. It could have taken a much worse turn. Of course, I'm sure some member of the media or public, will turn the story around, making the deputy seem like the bad guy.

Do ya expect anything else???

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes, every FMAer knows that "only bad people use knives". It's a constant PR problem for us. Sigh...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Actually, I searched for this last night, and I really didn't find anything negative on the officer. Most was a rehash of the press release, some had additional names, but most articles didn't seem slanted one way or the other.

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most departments have some sort of "or any other weapon" clause in their use-of-force general orders which allows nearly anything to be used in extreme cases.
These cases are extremely rare; I recall reading an article in one of the law-enforcement glossies (Police Chief, I think) to the effect that though nearly every officer carries some sort of knife, the editors were unable to find a single instance of an officer using one as a weapon.
That article was written several years ago, I believe there have been several since.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
No doubt....that's what sells papers. The court will view it for what it is, though, and that's what really matters in the long run. The drive-by media will do whatever it does.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I searched for this last night, and I really didn't find anything negative on the officer. Most was a rehash of the press release, some had additional names, but most articles didn't seem slanted one way or the other.
That's good......

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most departments have some sort of "or any other weapon" clause in their use-of-force general orders which allows nearly anything to be used in extreme cases.
These cases are extremely rare; I recall reading an article in one of the law-enforcement glossies (Police Chief, I think) to the effect that though nearly every officer carries some sort of knife, the editors were unable to find a single instance of an officer using one as a weapon.
That article was written several years ago, I believe there have been several since.
I suspect we'll see more and more as the benefit of knife training, via the influence of FMA's on law enforcement training (and there is increasing influence) is felt......for the better I believe......as you'll see the knife used as described here, to prevent gun disarms that are typically the cause of death in over 10% of law enforcement murders.

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Dept "frowns" on any one carrying fixed blade knives and some Dept.'s outright forbit fixed blade knives.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Carrying a fixed blade where you can get to it with either hand has been pushed of late in my department's DT in-service classes. Wish I could say I thought of it but it was a couple of SWAT guys who brought it up. I now carry one behind my spare mags in easy reach of either hand and it tends to blend and not be too obvious.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
He went to arrest Mr. Smith and had one of his wrists in cuffs when Mr. Smith turned around and began bludgeoning the officer with the cuffs, using them "like brass knuckles," Sgt. Vogel said.
Mr. Smith backed him into a desk and hit him several times before grabbing for the officer's gun, unsnapping the holster.
The officer then frantically pulled a knife from his belt and stabbed Mr. Smith in the stomach.
Mr. Smith continued to fight the officer until he was pushed over and Tasered by another police officer who had arrived for backup.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09089/959279-53.stm

Latest Discussions