Deputy stabs BG in weapons retention situation

CHAOS

White Belt
Reaction score
A trick I learned is use a smaller fixed blade, like the Ka-Bar angled blade with the flat plastic sheath, and attach it to your pants belt, on the weak side. Then put your duty rig on over it. Your radio and other items will slightly "hide" or cammoflauge the handle sticking up and won't appear so "officious" or frightening to the average joe. And it won't grab the attention of the Chief, or any other, "don't appear intimidating", brass that may have a problem with a visible fixed blade on your belt.

CHAOS

White Belt
Reaction score
Guess I shoulda read all the posts before sending my quick reply. Anyway, if you are going to cary a knife of any kind for back up, then train with it. If you cant consistantly cut a 1/2 inch free hanging rope with one cut, then you need to practice. And, if your folder won't stay locked open with a significant stab, or strike, then toss it. I learned that the locking mechanism on the Smith and Wesson "SWAT", and "Baby SWAT" will not hold up to a decent thrust into plywood. Both folded on me during thrusting drills. And I wasn't using extreme force either. I was just practicing targeting with the knife. It seems that the position of the fingers around the lock caused it to depress and dissengage during a common thrust and twist-retraction. Fixed blades will "target" differently from each other, and just like the Samurai, you need to be able to draw smoothly and precisly for grab releases. Remember, as law enforcement, we took an oath to serve first, then protect. And the translation of Samurai is, "One who Serves". So we are obligated by Oath, and Tradition, to master every weapon on our belt, and be ready to engage in combat at any moment.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyway, if you are going to cary a knife of any kind for back up, then train with it. If you cant consistantly cut a 1/2 inch free hanging rope with one cut, then you need to practice.
Is the BG going to hit me with a rope? ;)

Latest Discussions