Debut of Christian Kempo!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you explain what benefit you believe is derived from this particular method? I'll be honest after having watched the video: it is a method of moving and shifting and changing stances that is opposite from what I believe is the optimal way to go about it. I would be interested in reading more about what you believe the purpose is, what benefits come from this particular method of pivoting and changing stances.
Agreed. Just from the beginning the basic stances, as I understand them, are wrong or poorly executed. The method displayed for moving the feet and transitioning between poor stance to poor stance is also contrary to proper mechanics to attain and maintain structure, and I'm being "kind."

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jokeing aside I would like to see this answered. Seems like rebranding some mash up of Kempo systems under a new banner. Sounds like marketing to me. Taking bits and peices from here and there is all well and good, but it's not a new system it seems, but a hobbled old one.

How is the system taught as opposed to your traditional Parker or Tracy Kenpo? Are prayers at opening and closing thrown in to make it christian? Good mentioned a lot in class? How's that turning the other cheek part going?

Personally I would never joining an organization so upfront about their religious affiliations. I need god in my karate as much as I need a hole in the head.

To whoever left me a notification calling me "self righteous" for this post. Maybe you should sign your work and point out what is wrong with what I said. If this didn't have the word christian on it I would call it out as just another swindle to bilk people by repackaging badly something that already works. But since it is a religious thing I saved that part because I would like to think the person's heart is in the right place. But as far as I'm concerned it's a combination style frankensteined together and given a new name. Just like Keysi or any other trendy BS now. Self righteous? No, realist.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you believe that someone is abusing the reputation system, then please contact one of the Martialtalk.com forum staff. Complaining about it in public, though, isn't too productive.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is another obvious aspect from a Libertarian POV... if you dont wanna play in that sandbox, then don't. EZ. It works for Chris, for his crew, and that's all it needs to work for. Perspective, position, etc.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From another thread:

In Christian Kempo there are 2 sets of "titles" one for family (studio) and one for community. Family titles are Sigung, Sifu, Sibak, Sihing...ect. Community titles are related only to black belt ranks derived from EPAK:

1st Black - Junior Instructor
2nd Black - Associate Instructor
3rd Black - Senior Instructor
4th Black - Head Instructor
5th Black - Associate Professor
6th Black - Professor of the Arts
7th Black - Senior Professor
8th Black - Head Senior Professor
9th Black - Chief Senior Professor

We do not have a 10th Dan, that is representative of the position Jesus holds in our Studio. I dislike the title "Master" as Jesus is Lord and Master over His creation, and I prefer the titles of professor.

As has been stated above, this system is for my students and those of like mind who wish to use the martial arts as a ministry tool to train minds, bodies, and souls for Kingdom Work! I do not dare try to compare Christian Kempo to any other system or style, it is what it is! If you personally have problems with this "I'm sorry" but you will just have to "suck it up!".

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you believe that someone is abusing the reputation system, then please contact one of the Martialtalk.com forum staff. Complaining about it in public, though, isn't too productive.

Not productive no. Just about as productive as the anonymous jab at me. Same type of coward who won't own their opinion and throw horse crap at a turned back because they don't have a thing to say about the argument.

My opinion on christian Kempo stands. As is my ramping up process for my Satanic Seido Karate.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I first learned Tae Kwon Do through the Church in a program called "Kicking for Christ." It was a good program. I hadn't been able to learn martial arts before because of financial issues and this one was free.

With that said, I have to defend Omar B to some degree and say that there's no need to re-brand something as a "Christian" version without reason. And while I'm not a kenpoist, having read through this thread I'm not really seeing the reason.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I first learned Tae Kwon Do through the Church in a program called "Kicking for Christ." It was a good program. I hadn't been able to learn martial arts before because of financial issues and this one was free.

With that said, I have to defend Omar B to some degree and say that there's no need to re-brand something as a "Christian" version without reason. And while I'm not a kenpoist, having read through this thread I'm not really seeing the reason.
Just off the top of my head, calling anything Christian, is meant to attract or at least be seen as Christian friendly. :). I don't see the conflict. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jokeing aside I would like to see this answered. Seems like rebranding some mash up of Kempo systems under a new banner. Sounds like marketing to me. Taking bits and peices from here and there is all well and good, but it's not a new system it seems, but a hobbled old one.

How is the system taught as opposed to your traditional Parker or Tracy Kenpo? Are prayers at opening and closing thrown in to make it christian? Good mentioned a lot in class? How's that turning the other cheek part going?

Personally I would never joining an organization so upfront about their religious affiliations. I need god in my karate as much as I need a hole in the head.
I just read this and wow; just, wow.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, since when does "Turn The Other Cheek" mean we are to act like victims?

I think the question is what makes it Christian in character--so much so that the term should go in the style's name. We don't speak of Buddhist kung fu very often, though there's a strong historical connection, or of Shinto Iaido. Certainly he's free to name it as he likes, but if you can only put one adjective there, why is this the most apropos one? Is it marketing--trying to attract Christians, perhaps by sending a message that Christianity and the martial arts can mix to those who might think "turn the other cheek" precludes such study, or trying to indicate that the system is only for Christians (I've seen this), or trying to make clear that Christian philosophy infuses the system (not clear from the techniques in the clip)?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the question is what makes it Christian in character--so much so that the term should go in the style's name. We don't speak of Buddhist kung fu very often, though there's a strong historical connection, or of Shinto Iaido. Certainly he's free to name it as he likes, but if you can only put one adjective there, why is this the most apropos one? Is it marketing--trying to attract Christians, perhaps by sending a message that Christianity and the martial arts can mix to those who might think "turn the other cheek" precludes such study, or trying to indicate that the system is only for Christians (I've seen this), or trying to make clear that Christian philosophy infuses the system (not clear from the techniques in the clip)?
Who is this "We" you speak of? As I understand it Buddhism and Martial Arts went hand in hand there for a few hundred years, and even today.
Also, What makes it Christian is the people involved, and the people they wish to attract. Why is there this push to take GOD out of the Martial ARTS? (or gods and goddesses :))
Sean

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What? Why are people taking Christianity out of the Oriental martial arts? Is that what you're asking?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. That's why I teach the Thorian Hammer style.
I'm sure you do. LOL There really is no law or reason to tell someone they shouldn't be training in something that claims to be Christian, just because you or a few others feel they should be kept apart. Why should they be kept apart is my question to you.
Sean

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So... Are we talking "seperation of church and Kenpo" here...? :D
We can't even keep seperation of church and state right...

An interesting thread, to be sure.
Milt G.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure you do. LOL There really is no law or reason to tell someone they shouldn't be training in something that claims to be Christian, just because you or a few others feel they should be kept apart. Why should they be kept apart is my question to you.

I don't know where you're getting this. What did I say that made you think I felt that way?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still digging Omar's idea of Satanic Seido! %-}

Latest Discussions