Death by rooster

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Death by rooster

A freak accident at a cockfight is just one more reason why California should take a harder line on this inhumane 'sport.'

5:38 PM PST, February 8, 2011 LA Times EXCERPT:

An incident in Central California last week was so bizarre that the headlines it generated wouldn't be out of place in a supermarket tabloid next to tales of alien babies and Elvis sightings: "Man Killed by Rooster." More specifically, one of the feathered contestants in an illegal cockfight in Tulare County, armed with a blade attached to its leg, apparently stabbed 35-year-old Jose Luis Ochoa in the calf, and Ochoa was declared dead of "sharp force injury" two hours later.

This isn't the first time someone has died in what is supposed to be blood sport for birds; last summer in Merced, two men got into an argument over a $10 bet, one pulled out a gun and killed the other, and the victim's brother and another man allegedly beat the shooter to death. But aside from the question of whether cockfights are humane for humans, they raise serious concerns about whether the state of California is doing enough to discourage them.

Californians earned a reputation for their conscientiousness about animal welfare after passing the nation's first ban on the use of battery cages for egg-laying hens in 2008. Yet while we don't want to crowd chickens, we don't seem to have much of a problem with letting people attach razor-sharp knives to their fighting spurs and place bets on which one will survive. Cockfighting is a felony in nearby states such as Oregon, Arizona and New Mexico, but it's only a misdemeanor on a first offense in California, rising to a felony on a second strike.
END EXCERPT
If the Times had any sense of humor, the headline would read: "Man killed by cock"
No, this isn't in the same vein as the yogurt story. The show Southland on TNT, had an episode a couple of weeks ago, where the bad guy was at a cockfight and ran when the police came to arrest him, so, they made a radio call, "Suspect running with his cock in his hand." Then when they tackled him, he was screaming, "Don't hurt my cock."
What a dick.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. So, he was killed by one little prick.

Carlos Saragosa left his home in Casas Grandes when the moon was full
He had no money in his pocket, just a locket of his sister framed in Gold
He headed for el Suego, stole a rooster named Gallo Del Cielo
Then he crossed the Rio Grande with that roosted nestled deep within his arm

Galllo del Cielo was a warrior born in heaven so the legends say
His wings they had been broken, he had one eye rollin crazy in his head
He'd fought a hundred fights and the legends say that one night near El Suego
He fought Cielo seven times, seven times he left brave roosters dead

Hola my Teresa I'm thinkin of you now in San Antonio
I have 27 dollars and the good luck of your good luck of your picture framed in gold
Tonight I'll put it all on the fighting spurs of Gallo Del Cielo
Then I'll return to buy the land Pancho Villa stole from father long ago

Outside of San Diego in the Onion fields of Paco Monte Verde
The Pride of San Diego lay sleeping on a fancy bed of silk
Adn they laughed when Saragosa pulled the one-eyed Del Cielo from beneath his shirt
But they cried when Saragosa waked away with a thousand dollar bill

Hola myTeresa I'm thinkin of you now in Santa Barbara
I have 27 dollars and the good luck of your good luck of your picture framed in gold
Tonight I'll put it all on the fighting spurs of Gallo Del Cielo

Now the moon has gone to hiding and the lantern light spills shadows on the fighting sand
A wicked black named Zorro faces Del Cielo in the sand
And Carlos Saragosa fears the tiny crack that runs across his roosters beak
And he fears that he has lost the 50,000 dollars riding on the fight

Hola myTeresa I'm thinkin of you now in Santa Clara
The money's on the table, I'm holding now your good luck framed in gold
Everything we dream of is riding on the spurs of Del Cielo

The signal it was given and the roosters rose together far above the sand
Gallo Del Cielo sunk a gaff into Zorro's shiny breast
They were separated quickly but they rose and fought each other time and time again
And the legends all agreed that Gallo Del Cielo fought the best

But then the screams of Saragosa filled the night outside the town of Santa Clara
As the beak of Del Cielo lay broken like a shell within his hand
And they say that Saragosa screamed a curse upon the bones of Pancho Villa
As Zorro rose up one more time and drove Del Cielo in the sand

Hola myTeresa I'm thinkin of you now in San Francisco
I have no money in my pocket I no longer have your good luck framed in gold
I buried it last evening with the bones of my beloved Del Cielo
I will not return to buy the land that Villa stole long ago

Do the rivers still run muddy outside of my beloved Casas Grandes?
Does the scar upon my brother's face turn red when he hears mention of my name?
And do the people of El Suego still curse the theft of Gallo Del Cielo?
Tell my family not to worry, I will not return to cause them shame.
-Tom Russell

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Suspect running with his cock in his hand." Then when they tackled him, he was screaming, "Don't hurt my cock."
What a dick.

:lfao:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Death by rooster

A freak accident at a cockfight is just one more reason why California should take a harder line on this inhumane 'sport.'

5:38 PM PST, February 8, 2011 LA Times EXCERPT:

An incident in Central California last week was so bizarre that the headlines it generated wouldn't be out of place in a supermarket tabloid next to tales of alien babies and Elvis sightings: "Man Killed by Rooster." More specifically, one of the feathered contestants in an illegal cockfight in Tulare County, armed with a blade attached to its leg, apparently stabbed 35-year-old Jose Luis Ochoa in the calf, and Ochoa was declared dead of "sharp force injury" two hours later.

This isn't the first time someone has died in what is supposed to be blood sport for birds; last summer in Merced, two men got into an argument over a $10 bet, one pulled out a gun and killed the other, and the victim's brother and another man allegedly beat the shooter to death. But aside from the question of whether cockfights are humane for humans, they raise serious concerns about whether the state of California is doing enough to discourage them.

Californians earned a reputation for their conscientiousness about animal welfare after passing the nation's first ban on the use of battery cages for egg-laying hens in 2008. Yet while we don't want to crowd chickens, we don't seem to have much of a problem with letting people attach razor-sharp knives to their fighting spurs and place bets on which one will survive. Cockfighting is a felony in nearby states such as Oregon, Arizona and New Mexico, but it's only a misdemeanor on a first offense in California, rising to a felony on a second strike.
END EXCERPT
If the Times had any sense of humor, the headline would read: "Man killed by cock"
No, this isn't in the same vein as the yogurt story. The show Southland on TNT, had an episode a couple of weeks ago, where the bad guy was at a cockfight and ran when the police came to arrest him, so, they made a radio call, "Suspect running with his cock in his hand." Then when they tackled him, he was screaming, "Don't hurt my cock."
What a dick.
Looks like the chickens are finally taking matters into their own hands (or feet).:)
Sean

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
You reap what you sow. Now maybe a dogfighter can get his throat torn out by one of his pitbulls.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You reap what you sow. Now maybe a dogfighter can get his throat torn out by one of his pitbulls.
Who is to say that hasn't happened already?

Reading this I couldn't stop the song from playing in my head... from Alice In Chains "Rooster"
Yeah they come to snuff the rooster
Yeah here come the rooster, yeah
You know he ain't gonna die
No, no, no, you know he ain't gonna die
(no it really has nothing to do with the article per se' but it's what was playing in my head at the time.)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder, too, why it is not a felony ... though one would wonder where on earth in Kalifornia they would *put* cockfight criminals. Aren't they stacking incarcerated felons like cordwood already?

Latest Discussions