David Carradine R.I.P

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be interesting to hear if alcohol was involved. He had a reputation for drinking with the local sci-fi con groups.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter how it happened, he led an interesting life to say the least. And he will be missed.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was sadden to hear of his death but disappointed that he took a coward's way out of this life. Yet no one can say what pain he was going through to make him commit this act so apparently it was enough for him to go through with it.
I loved his tv show and his appearances in numerous movies, yes, including Kill Bill which was a fine performance as the title character.

If anything he'll be missed. :asian:
Farewell David may your pain be over and your journey to the next life be peaceful.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about giving him the benefit of the doubt until the investigation is complete?

Chuck Binder, Carradine's manager, said the actor was staying in the Thai capital while shooting a movie called "Stretch." When a producer went to his luxury hotel room, he learned that the actor was dead, Binder said, adding that the cause of death is still "under investigation."

Carradine's rep, however, said the death was accidental, telling celebrity new site TMZ, "We can confirm 100% that he never would have committed suicide. It was an accidental death. Everybody is in shock."

Police said Carradine's body was taken to a hospital for an autopsy which would be carried out Friday.

Even though it's likely because it is documented that he had boughts with depression and had talked about committing suicide before, he still deserves the benefit of the doubt until the investigation is complete. IMHO

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was a fan of his and I feel for his family but suicide's the ***** way out so I've got nothing to say about him.

Clearly you've never lost anybody close to suicide. It's the desperate and tragic last act of a sick and suffering person, you bone-headed boor.

As for myself, as a youth, Mr. Carradine's portrayal of Quai Chang Cain got me and thousands like me fascinated with Kung-fu. Then I saw Bruce Lee's films and there was no turning back. Thank you, David. RIP.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`ve seen lots of replies here with nothing written. I`m assuming some kind of objectionable comments were removed.

Anyway, since he was found naked with the rope wrapped "around his neck, and other parts of his body" I sincerely doubt it was suicide. I was only an EMT for a year, but this screams auto erotic asphixiation.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clearly you've never lost anybody close to suicide. It's the desperate and tragic last act of a sick and suffering person, you bone-headed boor.
As for myself, as a youth, Mr. Carradine's portrayal of Quai Chang Cain got me and thousands like me fascinated with Kung-fu. Then I saw Bruce Lee's films and there was no turning back. Thank you, David. RIP.

Gotta love that name calling.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I highly doubt it was suicide. The facts are that he was found in a closet, hanging from a rope, and same rope also tied around his genitals.
So, this was most likely one of two things.
1. Either he accidentally killed himself from asphixiation (accidental hanging) while performing a sexual upon himself, or...
2. Someone wanted to make it look that way.
The above mentioned accidental hanging is not something new. When I was in the service, sadly, this was something that happened on occasion. The individual in question would do said act in order to experience a highly euphoric orgasm. Unfortunately, this act is extremely dangerous, as to the fact that the individual can temporarely loose motor function in the limbs and is unable to stand up, thus passing out and dieing or being found and revived, only to suffer brain damage. The number of incidences was actually significant enough to warrent the military to warn/educate young, single male enlisted members of the danger of such practices.

It's hard to believe that someone like Mr. Caradine would be stupid enough (and desparate enough) to do such a thing just to get his jollies. Considering the country he was in, and all the other options available to him, it seems unlikely.

Just my opinion, but I certainly would not rule out foul play. Regardless, he was a highly respected individual who touched many lives in a positive way. That is how he should be rememdered. Not how he died, but how he lived. That, in and of itself, should be enough to make most question his supposed 'suicide'.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its very strange a couple of days ago I thought about watching my dvd boxed sets of Kung Fu right through all over again , and now Mr Carradine is gone.
But his tremendous body of work will live on.

Rest In Peace Mr Carradine.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is important to focus on the person, and his contribution to life. Even as I read these posts, I choose to remember him as I knew his, in his films. May he Rest in Peace. :asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's odd that many of us practice Japanese arts and extol the Japanese martial way yet think suicide is a cowards way out. An interesting cultural difference.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Lets make sure we have a little decorum when we are responding here and perhaps we could keep our feelings about suicide out of the thread. Ya all wanna talk about whether suicide is a cowards way out or not, start another thread. I don't believe that is the original intention of the OP. Also, remember there are those here on the board that have probably lost loved ones to suicide and the subject could get a little heated.

Thanks.

Lisa
Assist. Admin.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mister Caradine was one of my early inspirations and one of the reasons that I took up martial arts.

Whatever the circumstances of his death, he will be missed and fondly remembered.

My prayers and condolences go out for his family.

Daniel

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I`ve seen lots of replies here with nothing written. I`m assuming some kind of objectionable comments were removed.

Anyway, since he was found naked with the rope wrapped "around his neck, and other parts of his body" I sincerely doubt it was suicide. I was only an EMT for a year, but this screams auto erotic asphixiation.

Many times people will reply with a ".". They are paying their respects and bumping the thread back to the top so to speak.

As far as comments about not being a suicide being in a closet. Working in LE you see that many times, it is not that uncommon.

Latest Discussions