China's Shaolin Temple rakes in cash and controversy

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

I really wish places like Shaolin & Wudang were not influnced by money but they are. It's sad & it's pathetic. Governments are the same the world over. if the popularity of these places on a tourist level were to wane tomorrow the Chinese Government would close them all down in a flash. We live in a fast food world, with a fast food global culture & nothing is sacred anymore.... Nothing.

No worries, I was not offended

And as far as Shaolin goes you may be right. I am not so sure Wudang would close since it does attract locals and I am pretty sure Chenjiagou would continue but I am not so sure Shaolin could take could take the hit and survive they have been in the system to long.

This article and link is of interest as it comes on the heels of a friend reading to me from a Chinese language newspaper last weekend an article about the Shaolin Temple refusing an invitation from two senior muay thai practitioners or clubs in Thailand to have their best Shaolin fighters have a competition fight with them. The premise of the article was that the Shaolin organisation did not wish to risk any defeat and embarassment that could impact on the revenue of the temple and training.

I of course understand everyone needs to make a dollar, have bread to eat etc but if at the end of the day you are peddling a "Martial art"/"combat art" then it makes me sick if you won't put your style or the training of your students to the test or see how it stacks up.

The article mentioned that previously, a long time ago (1920s I think), (sorry but I could not read the article and am not sure if paraphraising entirely accurately) in two instances when, not Shaolin, but kung fu masters from China (Crane style) fought with muay thai fighters they were badly defeated and one died from head injuries.

The Muay Thai stuff was touched on here. I tend to feel it was all about sales from both sides of the equation

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82466

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a so called shaolin monk traveling around the USA right now setting up "FREE" demonstrations at various locations. My issue with this is I have had him come in twice the first time I believed him and his little scheme. The second time I was kind enough to allow it. The first time I was not told ahead of time they were going to ask for donations for the temple the second time I forwarned our students and their families ahead of time. The last time he was here he still acted like he did not speak or understand english but actions speak louder than words. So be forwarned if he comes to your town. I won't allow him to come here again not sure he would again anyway since he left empty handed.

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys, me again,

What I like about this particular thread is everyone here has opinions & some like me have very strong opinions but everyone seems to keep things civil so I must say thank you all for that! Again I'm going to voice my opinion & again ...(It's just my opinion) To put one style up against another for the most part is pointless. Maybe it's because I've become older, but then who knows but I have the view that the highest level of martial arts is when we can defuse a potential bad situation with a person with little or no contact. For instance when I teach I use a formula where I have somebody throw a punch at me, now if I throw a punch,kick,elbow, ect... back to stop this person have I put a stop to them? Of course but have I made the situation actually better? I would have to say no. If I am able to stop the person from attacking me with little or no harm to he or she then that to me is self defense at it's highest level, at least in my opinion. To get back to who would win ... Shaolin againt a Thai fighter well it really doesn't matter as it's not the style but the martial artist that brings that style & the spirit of the style alive. I'm very disapointed by whats going on in China at the Shaolin Temple & more than a little disturbed by the so called Shaolin Monks here in the States pawning off standard Peoples Republic Wushu formats in Temple Boxing Wrap but I still love the Shaolin Arts & I hope whats happening at the Shaolin Temple & in some places here in the States will not cheapen the Shaolin Arts in the long run.

Latest Discussions