Dating in the Dojo

Do you think its appropriate to date someone you meet in the dojo?

• Sure, why not?

• Maybe, but you have to be careful and think about what might happen if things don't work out.

• yes, but only between students, students and instructors dating is inappropriate

• no, its never appropriate

Results are only viewable after voting.
M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by liangzhicheng
Couldn't agree with you more, gotta love women who can kick butt :asian:

Interesting. Most of the guys I come across are intimidated by a woman who can kick butt!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtsChic
Interesting. Most of the guys I come across are intimidated by a woman who can kick butt!

That just means they aren't very secure with their abilities.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score

For me it would be a REQUIREMENT. If not the skills, the attitude.

I can't stand weak women.

SCS

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead

For me it would be a REQUIREMENT. If not the skills, the attitude.

I can't stand weak women.

SCS

What you all have been saying ;)

M

MartialArtsChic

It doesn't really matter to me if people date or not as long as it doesn't get in the way of my training. If I have to stand there while you throw googlie eyes at your boyfriend/girlfriend or play games, then there's a problem.

On another note: It is nice to read that some guys out there like a girl who can kick butt!!!!!

Lorrie

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
On another note: It is nice to read that some guys out there like a girl who can kick butt!!!!!

You bet I like women that can kick butt.

Sigourney Weaver-Alien(s)
Linda Hamilton-Terminator
Michelle Yeoh-Wing Chun

These women marked me for life. They got away from the root-tripping-over, ankle twisting, swooning, "let me go you beast, you're hurting me" women of the 1940's-50's.

Now I know they're actresses...but they portray an ideal.

And the actual women out there often live up to it.

Regards,

Steve

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
You bet I like women that can kick butt.

Sigourney Weaver-Alien(s)
Linda Hamilton-Terminator
Michelle Yeoh-Wing Chun

These women marked me for life. They got away from the root-tripping-over, ankle twisting, swooning, "let me go you beast, you're hurting me" women of the 1940's-50's.

Now I know they're actresses...but they portray an ideal.

And the actual women out there often live up to it.

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

I agree with your selection! And I also like women who kick butt. The girls can go out with the boys. ;)

:asian:

Q

Quick Sand

A agree with MartialArtsChic. It is nice to see guys that respect strong women that can kick butt. I've found the best role models in the women like that.

Some other butt kicking chicks in movies/tv:

Demi Moore in G. I. Jane
Anglina Jolie in Tomb Raider
Lucy Lawless in Xena: Warrior Princess (I was young and thought it was cool. Give me a break okay. :rolleyes: )
And lots of others that I can't specifically remember right now.

As for dating in the dojo/dojang. Like most people are saying. It's fine as long is it doesn't interfere with training. We had one couple get married this past summer from our club. I personally would like to find a guy that is at least into Martial Arts. He doesn't have to be in my art but that wouldn't hurt either. It would be nice to have a training partner.

M

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by Quick Sand
I personally would like to find a guy that is at least into Martial Arts. He doesn't have to be in my art but that wouldn't hurt either. It would be nice to have a training partner.

Yes, I agree, it would be nice.

Lorrie

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Quick Sand
A agree with MartialArtsChic. It is nice to see guys that respect strong women that can kick butt. I've found the best role models in the women like that.

Some other butt kicking chicks in movies/tv:

Demi Moore in G. I. Jane
Anglina Jolie in Tomb Raider
Lucy Lawless in Xena: Warrior Princess (I was young and thought it was cool. Give me a break okay. :rolleyes: )
And lots of others that I can't specifically remember right now.

Lucy Lawless's Xena brought a LOT of girls in to train! She was a real hit with the 8-14 crowd.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
O.F.K.,

That Lone Kimono comment was a riot... How did you convince her otherwise? I voted for sure, but consider the consequences. I only know of one student/instructor date situation personally. It took several years but it came to an end. By then he had been training her in his own version of kenpo, and then she was adrift. No training partners,no instructor, no studio. She ended up trying to hook up with an EPAK guy for certification, but did'nt follow through. My guess would be, too long with the other guy's material, and did'nt have the desire to start over again? She was really talented too. I hope there are more happy endings out there. Than these crash, and burn scenerios.

By His Grace,
:asian:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen schools where guys and gals use it as a meat market...literally cruising through the class. THAT doesn't work.

As far as legitimate, serious relationships...at the very least they'd have the same miserable success rate as other relationships go in our culture (fifty percent divorce rate).

That relationship can be threatened by certain dynamics of a couple training together. If she is teaching him (or vice versa), favoritism can result...which causes friction with other students. The reverse can happen too, where the teacher is too hard on the student due to higher expectations. That causes friction between the couple. Its a similar dynamic as that which occurs when a couple work together, say, in a family business.

Steve

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
do you know how many times you've used that phrase ... Besides.. it's not hard to kick your ***..:rofl:

Tess,

This was a very funny thing to read this morning. :rofl:

Thank You
:D :asian:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are guys out there who pay a LOT of money for women to kick their asses. I saw a post to a Newsgroup where a guy was offering a woman $200.00 for an hour of it.

Sounds like a cottage industry for the women of this board.

That isn't really "dating", though. Or is it?

"Hey, Bill...how'd you get that black eye?"

"Hot date last night..."

"Whoa! She got a sister?"

Steve

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
do you know how many times you've used that phrase ... Besides.. it's not hard to kick your ***..:rofl:

says you woman...how many times have I rested my foot on your shoulder and not followed through...?

Latest Discussions