Challenging Your Peers Doesn’t Make You A Fool

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just because you challenge what a peer says doesn’t mean you’re a know it all and it doesn’t mean you’re a fool who thinks you have all the answers. The important thing to realize is that a peer is different from an instructor and as such the relationship between two peers is different than the relationship between a student and instructor.

Im only speaking for myself when I say this but if I were to go into a dojo or gym and start taking lessons learn an art I would do so with the mindset that the instructor at the dojo or gym knows more about the art than I do, otherwise I wouldn’t be there. If I honestly felt that I knew more about the art than the instructor I wouldn’t be taking lessons there in the first place.

A peer is not the same as an instructor however and the people on this forum I don’t see them as my instructors I see them as my peers. As such Im not going to have the same mindset that I would with an instructor. A peer does not have the authority of an instructor. As such sometimes I might challenge what somebody says on this forum and maybe I want to be challenged back. All too often however people will just give up and Im very disappointed with that. They say Im attached to being right but Im not. They say Im trying to justify my position but what Im doing is further challenging their position and I want them to rise to the challenge so I can hear more of their position and learn from them too. Learning sometimes takes effort and that means sometimes challenging others and being challenged.

I said it before and I’ll say it again, I am very disappointed with some of the people on this forum and I’m very disappointed by their responses and that includes in some cases their failure to respond. I’m very disappointed with how some people will just give up.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am very disappointed with mograph. I am very disappointed with his response in post #41 in my desperation thread and I am very disappointed with his failure to respond further.