Dangerous habits

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't specify any specific encounter or I would have specified a specific encounter. How about you assume I meant....any encounter "without the rules for protection".

To that end you've given two sample encounters the second of which includes a pretty good answer to my very open ended question, allow me to paraphrase so it actually makes sense relative to the question.

"MMA fighters are repeatedly trained to engage opponents, this is a dangerous habit because in some situations where they don't have the rules to protect them, the reflex of engaging opponents is detrimental to rapid disengagement and escape from the conflict".

Most MMA fighters are well trained in Nike-do and do not engage in random engagements of either the marital or martial type. Others of us, the door staff, the police officers etc have little choice and have to stop around, but hey ho, it's a living.

OP
S

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
making allegations of lying, something I've never seen from jks on here and I never will. An apology is due to him I think.
I will apologise for pulling him up for lying if you show me where I said this:

You seem to be asking "what techniques that work in the context of sport are dangerous in the context of a real violent encounter?"

In the meantime I am not even asking for an apology from him I just want him to leave me alone. This is not the first time he has lied about what I have said but I do hope it will be the last.

Not sure what you mean by childish but I think I'll just let the comment slide.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will apologise for pulling him up for lying if you show me where I said this:

In the meantime I am not even asking for an apology from him I just want him to leave me alone. This is not the first time he has lied about what I have said but I do hope it will be the last.

Not sure what you mean by childish but I think I'll just let the comment slide.

Oh dear.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"MMA fighters are repeatedly trained to engage opponents, this is a dangerous habit because in some situations where they don't have the rules to protect them, the reflex of engaging opponents is detrimental to rapid disengagement and escape from the conflict".
That isn't at all what I meant. :rolleyes:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh. Yes, of course, I understand the question now.

First bad habit that can come back to haunt a warrior is attitude. Too much yang, to be specific. Makes them ice cream on a hot, sunny day.
Second bad habit is lack of patience. You can even scout it well before a match or real encounter. It's evident in much of a participants social demeanor.
Third bad habit is barking. If a fighter isn't actually fighting he should wag more and bark less.

OP
S

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh. Yes, of course, I understand the question now.

First bad habit that can come back to haunt a warrior is attitude. Too much yang, to be specific. Makes them ice cream on a hot, sunny day.
Second bad habit is lack of patience. You can even scout it well before a match or real encounter. It's evident in much of a participants social demeanor.
Third bad habit is barking. If a fighter isn't actually fighting he should wag more and bark less.

I am not surprised to have got on your bad side Buka. You just happened along at the wrong time with the wrong question when I was all out of patience. My apologies if it appeared I was curt with you it was not my intention.

I can fix this, few seem to want to answer intelligent questions so I'll start the thread the rest of you want.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stealthy, the issue has not been asking the "wrong" questions, it has been that the questions have been unclear to most people here. When that happens, take a moment to step back, and try to simplify the way you are saying things. For example, you may try this:

"I have been thinking about MMA a bit, and was wondering something. We all know that every martial art has it's strengths and it's limitations, and MMA's strengths are very obvious. But I was wondering what the people who train in MMA thought were it's limitations, or if you had ever thought about that. I look forward to hearing from you about this! Thanks, guys"

Next is to read what is written a bit more closely. There is often a lot more information given than you may realise (or sometimes than the writer may intend... but that's getting more into the "information gathering" skill set, and I'm not giving that out in public here, you understand, right?). For example, when Tez says "this looks like another of those 'MMA won't work in the street because of the rules' threads", the thing to take out of that is that she is revealing that such threads are relatively common, and she has gone through a number of them herself. In other words, she has just told you that she is involved in MMA discussion (at least), and has been for long enough to recognise patterns in the threads. This indicates experience in MMA, which is exactly what you were looking for. So it was a comment that should have been the catalyst for you to ask more in particular, not be offended by. After all, as Tez indicated later, her initial comments were very much habits that can be formed by competitive rule sets (the lowering of your hands is also fairly common in Kyokushin competition, as punches to the head are illegal... although kicks to the head are fine, and have a high success rate due to a lack of a guard, leading to Kyokushin practitioners to defend the idea of head kicks in self defence, as they see a lot of knockouts from them!), so she was answering your question from the outset, you just didn't understand what she was saying in the context she meant it. Again, just a matter of clarification from both sides.

With regard to JKS, you really do owe him an apology as well. You are accusing him of lying when he states the way he (and I, and I feel everyone else who read your post) interpreted your words. Besides being very experienced, an LEO, very well respected, and a stand-up participant in every single discussion I have seen him in, he is also a Senior Moderator here. Your entire tirade against him missed the point of what he was saying entirely, and you acted out of emotion, which is something JKS has avoided doing in kind. He deserves an apology for this alone, frankly.

OP
S

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"I have been thinking about MMA a bit, and was wondering something. We all know that every martial art has it's strengths and it's limitations, and MMA's strengths are very obvious. But I was wondering what the people who train in MMA thought were it's limitations, or if you had ever thought about that. I look forward to hearing from you about this! Thanks, guys"

Yep that's my question in one.

I've done my best to clear the air with Tez and Buka was unfortunately caught up in the middle of something through no fault of his own for which I have also apologised about.

With regard to JKS, you really do owe him an apology as well. You are accusing him of lying when he states the way he (and I, and I feel everyone else who read your post) interpreted your words. Besides being very experienced, an LEO, very well respected, and a stand-up participant in every single discussion I have seen him in, he is also a Senior Moderator here. Your entire tirade against him missed the point of what he was saying entirely, and you acted out of emotion, which is something JKS has avoided doing in kind. He deserves an apology for this alone, frankly.

Since I have the utmost respect for Sensei Parker, I apologise for getting upset with jks9199.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions