crossing legs?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
i understand that c.l. is practiced in other arts. this is fine and good for others. we personally don't practice it from what i have seen. maybe someone will come in and teach it to us, and revolutionize our way of thinking. "maybe". i do have to say that the "triangulation" would be off tying up your legs even for an instant.

peace
There's some kuden in regards to yoko aruki (the "leg-crossing" technique) which has to do with spacing of the feet and bent knees. This actually allows a lot of freedom in leg movement while not sacrificing balance. You're right though, it's not something that can be easily explained here, or demonstrating in pictures or video...

Jeff

B

Blind

Nooo... don`t give them the kuden, we need them to retain the big powerful "I got a pair hanging" stances. On another thread I see they want the way to use a shishinken....

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Blind: "Nooo... don`t give them the kuden, we need them to retain the big powerful "I got a pair hanging" stances. On another thread I see they want the way to use a shishinken...."

Oh come on, gotta throw 'em a bone sometimes.

Ooh, try this one, using shishinken and yoko aruki at the same time.

If that don't make you look like ninja's, nothing will!

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Probably just a lack of experience on your part. I had trouble understanding the concept a couple of decades ago. But a little experience in various martial arts since then has opened my eyes. It would be best if you have a real teacher teach you it. You can find similar moves in many arts like Bagua as well.
the insults just keep going on and on. kind of like the energizer bunny. Actually, some martial artist just don't spend very much time practicing that which lacks efficiency in a Modern Age. simply because many arts practice anything in particular does not translate to efficiency.

Keep the Moderater Insults coming since it makes your day. In fact, why not give me a couple of new Moderator negative points? Someone is being real funny giving me those green points too.

In today's combat, please keep crossing your legs cause someone else did it 400 years ago. I need all the advantages I can get cause I'm slow.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sojobow said:
In today's combat, please keep crossing your legs cause someone else did it 400 years ago. I need all the advantages I can get cause I'm slow.

Sojo, I hope you are not implying you plan to fight one of us.

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
sojobow said:
well at least your honest about that. keep it up!;)

peace

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
sojobow said:
Keep the Moderater Insults coming since it makes your day. In fact, why not give me a couple of new Moderator negative points? ..
i believe you have this theory that moderators are attacking you... we are not! please cease and desist immediatly your implications that moderators are trying to give you negative rep. your implications are uncalled for and have no merit. please excuse yourself and keep your post as civil and respectable as possible.

-mt moderator-

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, some martial artist just don't spend very much time practicing that which lacks efficiency in a Modern Age.

Uhhhh... kettle, pot, black, jig of wackiness??

K

Kalifallen

Cross step technique is ONLY used when stealthing. I would assume every ninja dojo would teach whether you are traditional or not.
When you preform the technique correctly you have perfect balance. If not you'd fall over. You get into a flat stance like a horse stance. Feet should be shoulder width apart. Hands can be at sides or in front of you. You can move them or not, up to you. (I like to keep my hands at my sides around stomach level) Now as you take your first step lean into it. Like as if you were going to balance on one foot, cause in actuality you are. Cross the leg in front or behind the other leg. Step softly, that is the key to the technique. And repeat.
If you did it correctly you did not make a single sound and did not fall over. Congrats if you did it.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kalifallen said:
Cross step technique is ONLY used when stealthing.

First sentence and I already have to stop and correct you.

Let me ask you just how much experience you have with the subject matter? If you had studeid under someone like Dale Seago or a teacher knowledgable of what is in the Koto ryu, you would know many applications for the move in combat.

Welcome to Martialtalk. Maybe you should take some time reading some posts that have gone on before, stop over at the forum devoted to introducing yourself and do so. You seem pretty enthusiastic about ninjutsu, but list that you ahve no rank in it. I find that pretty interesting and would like to see more in the forum devoted to introductions.

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I for one gotta say welcome Kallifallen. Don't let these veterans intimidate you. They bleed red too and get weak when around Kryptonite! Some of these guys live in Japan and nothing is correct unless they say it is. But please, don't leave Martialtalk because of condescending remarks made by them. I enjoy your enthusiasm.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stockholm Taikai 1998. Hatsumi sensei demonstrating the technique "setsuyaku" on Arnaud. Yoko aruki bonanza. Anyone can see that Hatsumi sensei has no intention of being stealthy at the time (well, not more than usual anyway, tee hee).

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
gmunoz said:
Some of these guys live in Japan and nothing is correct unless they say it is. But please, don't leave Martialtalk because of condescending remarks made by them.

I have to say, gmunoz, that you seem to be taking what "these veterans" actually say completely out of context. I didn't detect a hint of condescension in Don's previous post.

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'd probably listen when someone who has 10 to 15 more years experience in the art than me gives some advice. But, maybe that's just me. ;)

Laterz. :asian:

K

Kalifallen

Don Roley,
Fine I'll let you lead. I understand it was too farfeatched of me to say the cross step is only for stealth, but I don't know you should not cross your step in combat. And I don't think I written out the application to good either but it was to give an idea of the movement. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
Yes, I don't have a rank. But I have read and learned a nice amount on the art. May not be a good reason to post detailed stuff since I don't know all the details but I'm trying. And I'm trying to shed some light on what I know.
Um, not too sure what the introduction will help in but okay. I understand.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kalifallen said:
I understand it was too farfeatched of me to say the cross step is only for stealth, but I don't know you should not cross your step in combat.
There are times when it's entirely possible to cross-step in a fight.
And I don't think I written out the application to good either but it was to give an idea of the movement. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
Yes, I don't have a rank. But I have read and learned a nice amount on the art. May not be a good reason to post detailed stuff since I don't know all the details but I'm trying. And I'm trying to shed some light on what I know.
Um, not too sure what the introduction will help in but okay. I understand.
Would you accept medical advice from someone who never went to med school, but had "read and learned a nice amount" on medicine? Reading something does not necessarily equate to knowing it.

Jeff

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
I have to say, gmunoz, that you seem to be taking what "these veterans" actually say completely out of context. I didn't detect a hint of condescension in Don's previous post.

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'd probably listen when someone who has 10 to 15 more years experience in the art than me gives some advice. But, maybe that's just me. ;)

Laterz. :asian:
Perhaps I did take Don's post out of context here. If I did I apologize to him for that. I must admit that I've been around here for a few months now and it seems that DR and a few others are suspicious of any newbie's statements and almost go on the offensive with them. Questions asking what their experience is and almost what qualifies them to offer such a statement. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy everyone's participation. After all this is what this forum is for. I would like to see more encouragement from "veterans" and not so much the negative perception received from us lowly, meager practioners just trying to get involved here. Of course this is my opinion. Moderators should encourage all to involve themselves, irregardless of whether someone's opinion is naive or not. Just seems like newbie's are put on the defensive right away. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way. If so, then I probably should leave MT like the others that have in the short few months I've been here...

Again, if that is not what Don meant, then that's cool. It just seems that way many times.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps I did take Don's post out of context here. If I did I apologize to him for that. I must admit that I've been around here for a few months now and it seems that DR and a few others are suspicious of any newbie's statements and almost go on the offensive with them. Questions asking what their experience is and almost what qualifies them to offer such a statement. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy everyone's participation. After all this is what this forum is for. I would like to see more encouragement from "veterans" and not so much the negative perception received from us lowly, meager practioners just trying to get involved here. Of course this is my opinion. Moderators should encourage all to involve themselves, irregardless of whether someone's opinion is naive or not. Just seems like newbie's are put on the defensive right away. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way. If so, then I probably should leave MT like the others that have in the short few months I've been here...

While I'm sure Don and Kreth are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves, I'd like to interject here.

What "the veterans" generally seem to be doing, from my point of view, is correcting inaccuracies that often get tossed around on these forums --- such as the Hollywood ninja-to, combatic applications of yoko aruki, a specification as to what exactly 'ninjutsu' is, and so on. The problem is that, a lot of times, people really are spouting stuff that is just plain not true.

I'm a neophyte myself, so do understand where you're coming from. But, it will really help in the long run (IMO) not to get uppity every time one of your preconceptions gets challenged (its happened to me more than once, I can assure you of that).

Like I said before, I'd be a bit more open of the advice of buyu that have been at it for a decade or so longer than myself. ;)

K

Kalifallen

Kreth,
When can you cross-step in a fight? I sadly don't see any room to.
I understand what you mean on the "don't believe novice's speech," but I won't compare a doctor to a martial artist. Those are two completely different professions. You could of at least compared them to a teacher or a mechanic.
Anyway, isn't this a forum? A place you can go to be corrected and ask questions so you can learn. Whether I'm a novice or not does it matter (if I know the answer)? I mean, I'd just hate it to see people say, "Don't believe the novice's or the lower kyu's. The higher kyu's and the black belts you should listen to because they have been learning that art longer."

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
While I'm sure Don and Kreth are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves, I'd like to interject here.

What "the veterans" generally seem to be doing, from my point of view, is correcting inaccuracies that often get tossed around on these forums --- such as the Hollywood ninja-to, combatic applications of yoko aruki, a specification as to what exactly 'ninjutsu' is, and so on. The problem is that, a lot of times, people really are spouting stuff that is just plain not true.

I'm a neophyte myself, so do understand where you're coming from. But, it will really help in the long run (IMO) not to get uppity every time one of your preconceptions gets challenged (its happened to me more than once, I can assure you of that).

Like I said before, I'd be a bit more open of the advice of buyu that have been at it for a decade or so longer than myself. ;)
I must say that my point isn't about keeping an open ear to those who have been at it longer. That, for most, should be a given. I think, rather I know - that my point is with regard to the received attitude by which those veterans clarify the misconceptions of those who are still learning. We are all still learning. It's as if the particular veterans have a chip on their shoulders and make some feel as if it isn't correct lest they nod their head in approval. It's condescending in a way.

I don't care how experienced a person is or how knowledgeable they think they are if their attitude sucks or they make me feel less than. I'm completely open to advice of more experienced folks, but not from those with nasty elitist attitudes. It's all in their attitude - whether they intend it or not - it's the way they're perceived by others.

Latest Discussions