Modern Marvels: Axes, Swords and Knives

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At the risk of attracting detractors again, I'm going to report that I just recently saw Modern Marvels: Axes, Swords and Knives apparently on the History Channel.

Near the end of the show there was a "Knife Expert" or "Blade Expert" who really filleted his partner in a demo before locking him up and stabbing him to death. He moved quickly and I thought that if I had engaged this guy in an empty hand encounter that I might have been long dead before I knew he had a knife.

I guess the lesson there is to control and dominate your opponent as if he had a knife because you never know.

I think in EPAK we are supposed to sort of do this anyway. We have many illustrations of how to cancel a persons dimensions and check them off so that they can't do anything and if I treated all encounters that way, it may not matter if they had a knife.

I'm going to pay attention next week in class to see how quickly I'd die if my oppoent actually had a knife in their attacking hand.

Just a thought. I'm sure this is not any kind of a revelation to a lot of you on this board. :asian:

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Knives are definatly scary. Here's something to try if you haven't already. Get a water soluable marker and use that instead of a practice knife. Wear some white clothes you don't mind getting marked up and see how many times you get cut.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Name of this knife expert?

Cthulhu

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
Name of this knife expert?

Cthulhu

I don't remember his name. I may have recorded the episode though (That DVR they cable company offers can be very handy). I'll try to go look tonight.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DVR is great. I have a TiVo but my brother's cable company gives him a limited DVR with his service. It also makes it so easy to look up something like this or "Conquest" and see what the upcoming episodes are. I've gotten a bunch of Conquest eps. on weapons work because of it.

OP
cdhall

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I've gotten a bunch of Conquest eps. on weapons work because of it.

I used to record all of STTNG on VHS. I have not taped much of anything since. But I think I should be able to use the DVR to record stuff I might miss and then replay it and record it to VHS if I want to keep it. Or DVD for that matter. But I haven't done any types of experiments about this yet.