Critiquing my performance?

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey people,

I'm new to the forum, but love it. I recently have gotten back into TKD after around 7 or 8 years of not being able to practice. Just wanted to introduce myself to all of you and show you my performance from yesterday. I know I have a whole lot to improve and was hoping some of you guys could give me some constructive criticism. Also, I hope this is 'thread appropriate' if not my apologies, a mod can move it accordingly!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
also, I know I ran out of the ring too much. My style has always been to sort of move around side to side and pop my opponent, but him coming straight at me was kind of messing me up, therefore, any tips on that?
I used to be a black belt when I trained from 6 years old- 12 years old. i've been out of the game though and am now 19. I really am trying to improve and become a top level sparring practitioner once again and feel a lot of you guys have good advice so feel free to be as honest as possible. I know when I go to other tournaments opponents will not be as simple as this one. (no disrespect intended at all to my opponent though)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although I'm out of the "sport" scene now I would make just a couple of observations. Look at the way your opponent controlled the ring. He was able to continually advance which got you back peddling. It is difficult to produce a powerful kick when you are going backwards. Then, when he does advance, try to move to the side without giving a lot of ground. A sideways move can actually load your next kick. And finally, I'm assuming your opponent may have been a fair bit older. He kept advancing and you kept jumping around. That's fine when you're young but as you get older and a bit more experienced you will want to conserve every bit of energy you possess. To me, that is what your opponent was doing.

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you. And yes, he was 34 but I'm in an adult division now so I must face older men anyway, what you say is very true. You don't want to waste unneeded energy. Honestly I feel I was a bit, I don't want to say scared, but cautious of keeping my space and moving around as it was my first competitive match in a very long time and was making sure he wouldn't be able to attack my head. I guess it will just take time. Thanks!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
... it was my first competitive match in a very long time and was making sure he wouldn't be able to attack my head.

First of all, congratulations for having the cajones for putting yourself up for critiques. You have bigger ones than me!

Second, you are far better than the yellow striped belt would indicate. Your prior training shows with the double roundhouse, back kick, and timing. Consequently, I think you could have dominated much more.

I AM NOT GREAT TKD PLAYER....so take this for consideration not gospel. Your statement that you didn't want to get hit shows.

I saw your sparring style as wanting to go in close for 1 hit, then getting out. When you got out, the opponent would come back to try to close the gap again for his kick. I think your confidence is lower than your skill. In brief, rather than thinking about 1 hit than getting out, I would ask you to think of multiple hits...e.g., x kick followed immediately by y kick. I think had you done that, HE would have been the reticent one.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Keep training 5 to 6 days a week...and spar with as high a level as you can...keep going to tournaments you will improve....where do you live?

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations for having the cajones for putting yourself up for critiques. You have bigger ones than me!

Second, you are far better than the yellow striped belt would indicate. Your prior training shows with the double roundhouse, back kick, and timing. Consequently, I think you could have dominated much more.

I AM NOT GREAT TKD PLAYER....so take this for consideration not gospel. Your statement that you didn't want to get hit shows.

I saw your sparring style as wanting to go in close for 1 hit, then getting out. When you got out, the opponent would come back to try to close the gap again for his kick. I think your confidence is lower than your skill. In brief, rather than thinking about 1 hit than getting out, I would ask you to think of multiple hits...e.g., x kick followed immediately by y kick. I think had you done that, HE would have been the reticent one.

Keep training 5 to 6 days a week...and spar with as high a level as you can...keep going to tournaments you will improve....where do you live?

Gwai Lo Dan: I really appreciate it man! TKD is always about improving and I feel sharing here can benefit me! And you're right. I had somewhat of a 'Muhammed Ali float like a butterfly sting like a bee' game plan. I do agree though that I probably could have hit him with more combos, and doing this game plan against a more experienced fighter they will know how to completely counter this. Thanks!

Gorilla: Definitely gonna do that sir, I practice 6 days a week. I live in NC now. I got all of my prior training from where it seems your location seems to be though! (Las Vegas)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should start by saying Im not an expert.

You can start by telling the guy who was holding the camera that every time he turns it sideways I want to kick Him :D

1:
You have to be more aggressive, I think. With this guy, He kind of fell for walking into retreating kicks, but if He was one of those people (like Me :p) who likes to charge in when You get someone moving back, let alone from PUNCHING range, it wont end as well for You. Plus, in being all defense and footwork, Youre letting Him do what Hes good at, instead of imposing Your ability over His, regardless of whos better.
Youve got decent speed and a good snap in Your kicks - retreating after every 1-2 kicks is only preventing You from being able to dig in with short bursts of attacks.

As a neutral comment, He seemed hell bent on Punching You. Which wouldve been fine, if Hed managed His distance better. But He was trying, and succeeding, at jamming up Your attacks, and showing a decent generalship of the Arena. He literally moved You around.

2:
At 4:16, He literally pushes You back, then starts laying into You when Youre too close to the edge of the Arena to move anywere. Again, His Generalship. If Youd gone on offensive, You could have pushed Him back and avoided that situation.
At 4:50, when You go down, that was the first time I saw You launch an attack of Your own the entire match. Consider this: If You were more experienced in launching attacks of Your own, would it have gone better?

3:
This is a nitpick, but almost all His Kicks came from the right leg. You could have noticed that, and set Yourself up to counterattack the next time He did it.

4:
This is the biggest criticism of all.
You didnt show us who won! Or did I miss it? :)

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cyriacus: Wow, thanks for all the comments. Everyone is saying that I was too defensive and was trying to counter too much and I do agree. It's going to have to be something I really work on. That's exactly what I said, if it was was someone more experienced, my countering and moving might not have worked as well. I need to take command more in the ring rather than depend on scoring points off countering. Tip #3 is the tip I really like. Very good observation, sir. And lol I actually did end up winning this, 18-11 (it's shown but very brief in the video). Thanks a lot for taking the time to watch the entire match and analyze, it is helping me out to prepare for my other matches.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyriacus: Wow, thanks for all the comments. Everyone is saying that I was too defensive and was trying to counter too much and I do agree. It's going to have to be something I really work on. That's exactly what I said, if it was was someone more experienced, my countering and moving might not have worked as well. I need to take command more in the ring rather than depend on scoring points off countering. Tip #3 is the tip I really like. Very good observation, sir. And lol I actually did end up winning this, 18-11 (it's shown but very brief in the video). Thanks a lot for taking the time to watch the entire match and analyze, it is helping me out to prepare for my other matches.
Any time. Aggression is all in the mind. You have the moves - Use em :)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You give away too much ground. You jump on your badas and you only give one and done shots. Keep up the training, as you move to better and better comp, you will understand what I mean about one and done shots. You do that vs. Black or even Red belts you will get caught very easily with multiple shots. Also the backing up will get you hit with multiple shots and to your head which you say you are protecting by moving back so much. Moving back like that will only get your head hit not protect it vs. a better opponent.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to be a black belt when I trained from 6 years old- 12 years old.

This is an old question I suppose: were you ONCE a black belt but no longer? I am surprised to see you as a yellow stripe belt. I figured you'd still wear a black belt, if you have a KKW certificate.

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You give away too much ground. You jump on your badas and you only give one and done shots. Keep up the training, as you move to better and better comp, you will understand what I mean about one and done shots. You do that vs. Black or even Red belts you will get caught very easily with multiple shots. Also the backing up will get you hit with multiple shots and to your head which you say you are protecting by moving back so much. Moving back like that will only get your head hit not protect it vs. a better opponent.

This is an old question I suppose: were you ONCE a black belt but no longer? I am surprised to see you as a yellow stripe belt. I figured you'd still wear a black belt, if you have a KKW certificate.

I passed my first degree test after 6 years of training, only to come back two days later and my dojang was closed down. My grandmaster's daughter was very ill and they didn't have health insurance, later for us to find out they went back to Korea without telling anyone. I never ended up receiving my actual black belt or certificate as a result. Nevertheless, I would not compete as a black belt now anyway because I frankly don't think I have the skill anymore. I have however been bumped to green belt after only 2 months. Thanks ATC, I appreciate the words. I'll work my best to improve on those things.

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What school in Las Vegas?

Unfortunately that happens allot in Las Vegas!

It was Oh's Taekwondo, on west flamingo road. I had absolutely incredible training back in the day, really miss it. Although I'm getting great training now as well. It's so tough finding a good dojang...

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I tbought it would be Master Oh....he ripped off allot of people in Las Vegas...gave Tkd a black eye...

He was a horrible example of a Master...I can't count how many people he screwed!

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey people,

I'm new to the forum, but love it. I recently have gotten back into TKD after around 7 or 8 years of not being able to practice. Just wanted to introduce myself to all of you and show you my performance from yesterday. I know I have a whole lot to improve and was hoping some of you guys could give me some constructive criticism.

I agree pretty much with what everybody said. But anyway here is my thoughts:

You was very defensive. For the first fight, it worked well over all as you drew him for a few kicks here and there. You seem to have an overall good technique. Thing I like most about the first fight is the footwork. Because you would move forward and backward a few inches and this gave the false impression that your advancing causing your opponent to strike. Really in good in my opinion. But, don't over do it, expending all your energy. Sometimes it is just as good to stand still as it is to keep moving. A combination of both is a good thing.

The second fight your overall tactics didn't seem to work as well. Any time someone start charge you or be agreesive, LAY IT ON THEM! Give that person a taste of their medicine so that fear over takes them, and then they respect you as an opponent. After that, YOU SET THE PACE. Don't let your opponent set the pace. You got to be able to set the 'Aggressive Switch' ON when someone tries to corner you, but remember to turn it back off because they may sucker you into a good knock in the head. A good mixture of defense and offensive is needed in any fight.

I'm not sure on the rules, but you had at least one opportunity that I can think of where you could have kicked him in his supporting leg as he kicked you. Also, whenever someone comes in close to push you out of the ring, try using your fist to pummel him, then once you push him back into kicking range, let him have it.

You did good overall. Thanks for sharing with us your video.

- Brian

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That wasn't my style of sparring, but I suppose the principles are the same.

You are pretty agile, but when the other guy moves in you move straight line - or you jump from one side line to the other. I think you need to explore the angles, especially when you notice a weak spot in your opponent's technique, like somebody pointed out he was mostly using his right leg.

As to your own kicks, you have great reach. But it really irritated me to see you put that leg down after every.single.kick! You really ought to work on that, combos, balance, etc.
While we never went full contact, my instructor did compete in the Battle of Atlanta a couple of times. The man can stand on one leg forever, and change from front to side to round to hook kick in mid air and you wonder what hit you in the head.

But, as you practice more, you will get the hang of it.
And get used to the idea that you will get hit in the nogging. Nothing I am fond of either, but it will happen. Sadly. ;)

Latest Discussions