Critiquing my performance?

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I tbought it would be Master Oh....he ripped off allot of people in Las Vegas...gave Tkd a black eye...

He was a horrible example of a Master...I can't count how many people he screwed!

It's funny that even you know of what happened! Tell me about it, 6 years of training 6 days a week. I finally pass my first degree test, come bac thenext day and the whole place is closed. I'm just thankful that I wasn't one of the people who had just started and paid a huge up front fee for the 'black belt plan' like we did.

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That wasn't my style of sparring, but I suppose the principles are the same.

You are pretty agile, but when the other guy moves in you move straight line - or you jump from one side line to the other. I think you need to explore the angles, especially when you notice a weak spot in your opponent's technique, like somebody pointed out he was mostly using his right leg.

As to your own kicks, you have great reach. But it really irritated me to see you put that leg down after every.single.kick! You really ought to work on that, combos, balance, etc.
While we never went full contact, my instructor did compete in the Battle of Atlanta a couple of times. The man can stand on one leg forever, and change from front to side to round to hook kick in mid air and you wonder what hit you in the head.

But, as you practice more, you will get the hang of it.
And get used to the idea that you will get hit in the nogging. Nothing I am fond of either, but it will happen. Sadly. ;)

I appreciate it granfire. I'm guessing you practice the point style sparring? I'm growing really irritated the more I watch myself. It's a good irritated, makes me want to spar more and perfect all of my flaws! I'm definitely going to be working on my movement, how to dominate my ring more and how to jump in and kind of stay inside and maybe kick with a crescent kick if the opposing person is so determined to punch me. And COMBOS. My instructor is already on most of these tips as is which is great because I really want to be a competitor for nationals in the upcoming years. So believe that I will improve all of these things! I won't stand a chance being so defensive minded lol

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yep, point sparring.

one other thing we used to do: when doing drills on the paddles or the bag the instructor always insisted that we put the kicking foot down in front. That gives you a forward momentum, vs backward. As the others have noted, you can't develop a powerful kick running backward. Quiet to the contrary, you run into the probability of loosing your footing and going down.(I liked your reflexes of getting out of reach, but thought you needed work on your getting up technique...but remembered that it was a tournament round, and you can't punch the guy on the ground :))

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that's not a bad idea. I think that I do that a lot when doing kicking drills just by habit but i'm going to try to emphasize it and give it a try.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's not a bad idea. I think that I do that a lot when doing kicking drills just by habit but i'm going to try to emphasize it and give it a try.

It will take some getting used to, since you tend to eliminate the extra step between setting your foot down and moving it back to the starting position, but it really helps.

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I tbought it would be Master Oh....he ripped off allot of people in Las Vegas...gave Tkd a black eye...

He was a horrible example of a Master...I can't count how many people he screwed!

Also, you wouldn't by any chance know of any way to contact him would you? I've been trying to find a contact for him for YEARS

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also, you wouldn't by any chance know of any way to contact him would you? I've been trying to find a contact for him for YEARS

Nope.... I am sure he would not show his face in Las Vegas again....this has happens allot in our city...martial arts masters leaving town with the money...not just TKD people

I should say so called masters more like leaves

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You should pick your hands up to protect your face. And when you get close to your opponent you're not defending against being thrown.

Seriously, I think you should make sure you're getting advice from people who understand what it is you're doing.

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In response to being aggressive, is their no longer any place in the sport for defensive or counter-offensive fighters? I ask because that's my style and I too have just come back into training after a 30 year lay off.

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack fanatic's thread, but with my layoff all the forms changed. I studied Moo Duk Kwan and we did mostly Pinyan (sp?) forms-they have all been changed to taeguek and I have to learn them all over. Also, because of the contact rules fighting has changed tremendously. I find it really hard while sparring to be standing beside an opponent (well inside punching distance) his hands down not protecting his face, and me not punch to his head. Once upon a time we had a kicking distance and a punching distance. Punches apparently no longer score. The real issue though is that at 66 years old, my flexibility is not near what it was and having to be laced up in the hogu really effects your breathing and stamina. We never wore that stuff-mouth piece, punches and kicks only (after they were invented). Mouth piece and adhesive tape before that.

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had my second competition two saturdays ago, I won and really worked on dominating the ring. It really was so much easier than moving around so much. I felt so much more in control! With that said, in reply to 40th, I still fought very counterattacking minded. It's how I score most of my points. Switch round kicks and spin back kicks. So I do think counter attacking is still a very alive style! Look at Bagheri vs Tazegul. Bagheri is very counter minded, but very poised as well!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack fanatic's thread, but with my layoff all the forms changed. I studied Moo Duk Kwan and we did mostly Pinyan (sp?) forms-they have all been changed to taeguek and I have to learn them all over. Also, because of the contact rules fighting has changed tremendously. I find it really hard while sparring to be standing beside an opponent (well inside punching distance) his hands down not protecting his face, and me not punch to his head. Once upon a time we had a kicking distance and a punching distance. Punches apparently no longer score. The real issue though is that at 66 years old, my flexibility is not near what it was and having to be laced up in the hogu really effects your breathing and stamina. We never wore that stuff-mouth piece, punches and kicks only (after they were invented). Mouth piece and adhesive tape before that.

If you trained with the pinan forms, you likely trained in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, rather than Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan. It sounds like you're now associated with a kukkiwon school, from your description of the sparring. Different schools use different rulesets. Our MDK school uses the Palgwe forms, and a ruleset that encourages the use of the hands. Shop around, if your current school doesn't feel right for you.

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Worn out, tired old fat man. Please be gentle.

That pretty much describes it-way to old to go shopping. You are correct, it is a kukkiwon school. I looked for MDK schools, but they are a long way off. My current school is right down the street and the price is right-senior citizen discount at no cost. I'll stick it out and see if i can learn. I have sparred twice with this group and both times got carried away and worked on their noggins (with control).

OP
wtftkdfanatic

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
not really related but i didn't want to start a new thread for this. I'm attending the University of South Carolina next semester and was wondering if anyone has any information on tae kwon do over there? I haven't been able to find any good news regarding a team or club or anything :/