Crescent kick = useful?

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
I notice that the crescent kick (outside-to-inside) is a much more easy technique to throw than a roundhouse kick and requires a lot less hip flexibility. I also find myself able to generate a lot more power with it a lot more easily than with a roundhouse kick, especially to a higher target. Could this technique be useful in any real situation (not point sparring)? Is there any good reason that it isn't used that much in any style? I have heard of people using it to break through the opponent's guard, but I'm more referring to using it as an offensive strike.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice that the crescent kick (outside-to-inside) is a much more easy technique to throw than a roundhouse kick and requires a lot less hip flexibility. I also find myself able to generate a lot more power with it a lot more easily than with a roundhouse kick, especially to a higher target.
It's easier to throw, easier to throw higher, and develops more power. Don't you think you just answered your own question?
Could this technique be useful in any real situation (not point sparring)?
Of course.
Is there any good reason that it isn't used that much in any style?
Your question is based on an unwarranted and incorrect assumption.
I have heard of people using it to break through the opponent's guard, but I'm more referring to using it as an offensive strike.
Assume the most common fighting stance, both fighters right handed, leading with their left.
Throw a jab with your left. Now a hook with your right. You don't care if either hit. The purpose of the hook is to use your arm to push their left arm down and out of the way, and occupy their attention. Now throw an outside-inside crescent with your right leg. They will tend to be focused on disentangling their arm. Your kick is coming up mostly behind them, and for much of the kick it's not really in their field of vision. Plant that kick on the back of their head or neck.

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Another great use is driving up into their torso. You can do this with a diagonal straight legged kick too. All the power goes up, so it is much harder to absorb the impact than something coming down or across like a roundhouse.

In a way the MT roundhouse is a bit like an inside crescent kick, in terms of starting mechanics, just with the hip turned over so that it goes across. Like you said, it has power. Anything that is easy to use and has power you can use, it's just finding the right opportunity/set up.

Most traditional MA moves exist for a reason, even if it is a rare situation. It's just some of the applications people try to propose go a bit awry...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You do have to train it on heavy bag before you can use it. Just kick into the thin air is not enough. You need to get used to the shocking to your knee joint and also your foot contact point.

During my high school year, 2 guys got into argument. One guy (who trained in long fist informal class) used an inside crescent kick to land his foot on his opponent's face (who trained in Chinese wrestling informal class). A shoe mark was left on that guy's face. Next day, I jointed in the long fist informal class.

In CMA, the inside crescent kick is used to slap on your opponent's face by using your foot.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A crescent kick is fast and hard to defend against if your opponent is untrained. Billy Jack taught us that.

Latest Discussions