crazy things done at demos

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of the crazy things people have done at demos that made you ask "what was that about" or "why did I just do that"

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol
i just realized I misspelled the name of the thread.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw someone doing a demo using hook swords (I think that is what they are called) and in the process he sliced open the inside of his upper arm. He continued the demonstration as nothing had happened which lasted about another minute or so, but seemed like forever as the dark red strip of blood on his left arm get larger and larger. He finished the form, bowed out and left the dojang for a couple minutes. He came back with a new jacket and I presume his upper arm bandaged and then demonstrated the next weapon.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok a few I have seen:
Nick Cerio broke his hand doing a back hand slap on two 3 inch solid blocks but still finished the demonstration
Someone once cut ice block for a breaking demo out of a swamp, they where filled with all sorts of nasty stuff and where extremely hard for the breaker to break
A student holding a watermelon on his stomach flinched just as the cut was being made. End result 84 stitches and a angry instructor
a spectator ran into the middle of a choreographed fight thinking to help out the young lady in the production: results spectator knocked out
A karma flew into the audience only to be caught and throw back onto the stage
An ice block that broke upward not downward
a young man walked up to a 3 inch block of concret and bowed to all then broke it with his head then turned to the man giveing the demo and asked if he knew where Mr. G was staying bowed and walked of to find the hotel he was directed to

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once saw someone doing a sword form with a downward thrust stab the floor so successfully that he had to leave the sword there until a maintenance person could assist in removing it...

(I'm kinda surprised that one doesn't happen more often...)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One time, we were holding a demonstration in the town's park.

It was a weekend where we had a booth in the park, since it was "merchant's exhibition weekend." We conducted the demonstration just as we would a regular class, with a couple of weapons kata also shown. Nothing fancy, just good, fundamentally strong, Karate.

There was a rival school in the area, that also claimed to teach traditional martial arts. They wanted to one-up us, so their instructor put on a sword kata, where he was actually jumping and spinning while slashing around with that sword. Now I don't know about most of you, but when I see someone doing a 360 degree jump and spin during a weapons kata, I find it rather... humorous.

Then the instructor had his assistant hit him with a shinai (bamboo sword) several times in the gut, so he could show how tough he was, giving loud kiai each time he was struck. He then told the assistant to hit him on the triceps, but she missed, instead cracking him across the forehead.

Those were some interesting words coming from his mouth after that, once he recovered from the hit (he had his hands covering his face for about 10 seconds).

We were invited to come back next year. They weren't. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
20 years ago, I saw a demo at a mall during a police appreciation weekend. The demo was done by a local MA school.

One very tall BB decided to do breaks using multiple techniques....while being handcuffed in the front. I thought this was an odd place to do such a demo while all these cops watched.

He was to end the demo with a break at a very high flying side kick. (About 7 feet high). (He was easily 6'5" tall). Well, his height & flexibilty got him off the ground well. So well in fact, that he put his foot above the boad & his holders. He then, accidently hooked his instep on the back of the board. As he fell, neither he nor his holders were able to break the fall. With his hand cuffed in front of him, he hit the hard ground very hard...on his wrists. He broke at least one of them. Needless to say, he didn't get much sympathy from the watching officers. I was impressed with his ability, but not his judgement.

Latest Discussions