Craziest thing to date - MA training

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I'm working my cardio and strength building exercises in the bag room and a couple of guys there start wrestling. At the end of their wrestling session one guy has blood on his hand (literally). So I'm watching out of curiosity and learned that the blood came from one of the guy's ear. Turns out that wearing earrings during wrestling increases your risk of having it ripped out of your ear. Who would have known? These guys don't wear mouth guards so I guess I'm going to find out why mouth guards are a good thing.

The other crazy thing that happened yesterday involves the guy that was crowding me at the gym. Well it turns out that he has bad communications skills. He approached me while I was training and asked what happened to my student (he's referring to my son). I didn't think to ask, but he may be interested or curious in learning Jow Ga. I'm assuming that's why he was crowding me. He was probably just trying to figure out a why to communicate with me. I guess. Weird.

So many people are lost when they come to hit the bags or spar in that room. The boxers in that gym are going to cause me to really up my game. As far as cardio those guys really go at it. I'm not looking forward to increasing the pace, but I'll do it to the best of my ability.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had to tell new students to take out their earrings/nose studs/whatever before starting class. I think they know better, but they're so used to the piercings being there that they don't even think about them before stepping onto the mat.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ya even in my karate class too we say take out earings watches necklace because if they do karate or sparring it would be ripped out

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had to tell new students to take out their earrings/nose studs/whatever before starting class. I think they know better, but they're so used to the piercings being there that they don't even think about them before stepping onto the mat.
I can see that. The good thing is that the guy and his friend will be more aware of such things. They definitely won't forget it. Hopefully it didn't rip the earlobe. I don't think it did, but the guy was in a headlock.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Students can wear jewelry in our dojo if they like. They are advised not to cry about it when it gets removed from them in a forceful fashion.
I think rings were the most common piece in our school specifically wedding bands.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Currently not wearing a wedding band as we had to cut it off after getting whacked pretty hard in sparring with a stick, I knew better but just forgot that day.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I switched to wearing a silicon wedding band after reading enough accounts of degloving. (And also my hand has swollen enough since I got married that it's just too much of a pain in the butt to put on and take off my original wedding ring.)

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Currently not wearing a wedding band as we had to cut it off after getting whacked pretty hard in sparring with a stick, I knew better but just forgot that day.
I'm currently not wearing a wedding band because my fingers got thick.. ok. fat. lol

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I switched to wearing a silicon wedding band after reading enough accounts of degloving. (And also my hand has swollen enough since I got married that it's just too much of a pain in the butt to put on and take off my original wedding ring.)
Me too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm currently not wearing a wedding band because my fingers got thick.. ok. fat. lol
This thread was a reminder to go in and get the ring that was cut off repaired. While we were doing the sizing of the rings she said "your fingers have really changed size." 25 years and 20 pounds will do that....

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread was a reminder to go in and get the ring that was cut off repaired. While we were doing the sizing of the rings she said "your fingers have really changed size." 25 years and 20 pounds will do that....
I blame my wife for fattening me up. I was skinny all my life until getting married at age 40. Since then, I've gained an average of 2 pounds per year. How dare she feed me delicious food on a regular basis!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I blame my wife for fattening me up. I was skinny all my life until getting married at age 40. Since then, I've gained an average of 2 pounds per year. How dare she feed me delicious food on a regular basis!
Bro, if you live to a hundred we're going to have to get you a wheelbarrow. :)

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats on your 25 years.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got fat when my way was pregnant. She ate for 2 and wanted me to do the same. She had the baby and birth the second person. I kept my second person. To this day she's still asking me "how's the baby"

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bro, if you live to a hundred we're going to have to get you a wheelbarrow. :)
Let’s see. Assuming a continued strictly linear progression, that would bring me to 284 pounds. At 6’4”, I could get away with that as long as it was all muscle. So I’m just going to have to pump a lot of iron as I get up into my 80s and 90s.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let’s see. Assuming a continued strictly linear progression, that would bring me to 284 pounds. At 6’4”, I could get away with that as long as it was all muscle. So I’m just going to have to pump a lot of iron as I get up into my 80s and 90s.
"Sir." The what you call that guy.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to hold you to that. I expect to see Youtube videos😁

Latest Discussions