Possible new student

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So after almost 2 months of healing (thumb injury and cold) and no gym. I may have a new student. He actually got a gym membership partly because I told him that I could teach/coach him if he likes. I thought it was already a member. I'm curious to see how long he sticks with it. currently he's all over the place and is a wrestler. We'll see how it goes since I originally didn't think he was serious about it. He has tons of questions that has hints of impatience. He has a lot of "Wrestler Stink" his fighting stance is narrow and he leans forward in one would for wrestling.

The other teen is interested in boxing. He wants to learn boxing but is interesting in training with me. I met a Muay Thai guy who appeared to be impressed with my footwork I'm going on that assumption because he tried to do my footwork. He had that grin of amazement that you get when your eye understand what it sees, but the brain has a difficult time getting to body to do what the eyes saw. It will be interested to see where this goes being that the weather in south is getting warmer.

The 2 months of no training and the 1 week being sick took a lot out of me. I'm at half the endurance that I was prior to the break. In some ways I'm stronger (gave my muscles time to heal and rebuild) but the cardio took a hit. No all I have to do is keep the kid focus so I can at least get my workout in. I thought I was talkative. lol

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So after almost 2 months of healing (thumb injury and cold) and no gym. I may have a new student. He actually got a gym membership partly because I told him that I could teach/coach him if he likes. I thought it was already a member. I'm curious to see how long he sticks with it. currently he's all over the place and is a wrestler. We'll see how it goes since I originally didn't think he was serious about it. He has tons of questions that has hints of impatience. He has a lot of "Wrestler Stink" his fighting stance is narrow and he leans forward in one would for wrestling.

The other teen is interested in boxing. He wants to learn boxing but is interesting in training with me. I met a Muay Thai guy who appeared to be impressed with my footwork I'm going on that assumption because he tried to do my footwork. He had that grin of amazement that you get when your eye understand what it sees, but the brain has a difficult time getting to body to do what the eyes saw. It will be interested to see where this goes being that the weather in south is getting warmer.

The 2 months of no training and the 1 week being sick took a lot out of me. I'm at half the endurance that I was prior to the break. In some ways I'm stronger (gave my muscles time to heal and rebuild) but the cardio took a hit. No all I have to do is keep the kid focus so I can at least get my workout in. I thought I was talkative. lol
Would you be teaching them at the gym? Would you collect a fee? If so, better clear it with the gym, they may not appreciate you conducting your private business on their site.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Would you be teaching them at the gym? Would you collect a fee? If so, better clear it with the gym, they may not appreciate you conducting your private business on their site.
Teaching at the gym and not collecting a fee. It's not a formal class and still haven't decided if it would be worth my time. So far he's shown some interest and said that he'll be in the gym on Monday. Right now he doesn't have the focus to get good training in. He may get there since he asked me about my warm up exercises. Well see.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Teaching at the gym and not collecting a fee. It's not a formal class and still haven't decided if it would be worth my time. So far he's shown some interest and said that he'll be in the gym on Monday. Right now he doesn't have the focus to get good training in. He may get there since he asked me about my warm up exercises. Well see.
I’ve tried to work with people who are overly enthusiastic but lack focus. It’s pretty miserable.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve tried to work with people who are overly enthusiastic but lack focus. It’s pretty miserable.
It really is. I won't go through that for free and at the cost of my own training. He's really big on kicking the bag. So I might start his training there. Give him something he can train on his own with enough movement to keep on track.

His biggest challenge is going to be how to lean to switch from wrestling stance to striking stance. He's not going to be able to develop any of his kicks until he's able to do that.

Latest Discussions