Coward?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Self-Defense....or Offence...both worlds...is NEEDED.

In Judo they have sacfice throws to win...sometimes...one needs to show the head....(removing it away from a incoming fist...is SMART)

Aloha, Helmets works too...

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are other ways to learn to take a hit than training to standing in front of them deliberately. Muay thai fighters train to stand in front of punishment until they can no longer stand or get knocked out. I dont look at this type of training as ideal...especially when you get up the ladder in years and it starts to catch up to you.

That was the point in my response.

Take care out there guys.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are other ways to learn to take a hit than training to standing in front of them deliberately. Muay thai fighters train to stand in front of punishment until they can no longer stand or get knocked out. I dont look at this type of training as ideal...especially when you get up the ladder in years and it starts to catch up to you.

That was the point in my response.

Take care out there guys.

I think the issue is less intentionally putting your head in the way, than in hard sparring where it's going to show up in the way on it's own.

I honestly don't believe I can teach physical combatives to someone who has never been hit in the face.......it's like training someone to be a fighter pilot in a ground simulator without ever actually flying..........sure you can train the mechanics.......but it's different when you're pulling 5 G's.

Now that is NOT the same as taking multiple blows to the head........we have to weigh our goals with potential damage from training. If someone isn't going to competing in the ring, they don't need to take dozens of blows in sparring........but they do need to know what it feels like to get punched in the face and work through it.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the issue is less intentionally putting your head in the way, than in hard sparring where it's going to show up in the way on it's own.

I honestly don't believe I can teach physical combatives to someone who has never been hit in the face.......it's like training someone to be a fighter pilot in a ground simulator without ever actually flying..........sure you can train the mechanics.......but it's different when you're pulling 5 G's.

Now that is NOT the same as taking multiple blows to the head........we have to weigh our goals with potential damage from training. If someone isn't going to competing in the ring, they don't need to take dozens of blows in sparring........but they do need to know what it feels like to get punched in the face and work through it.

Agreed. I understand where blacklion is coming from. I have been in the schools where the instructor wants to dump you on your *** all the time just to show how hard he can hit. I have also been in the schools where the instructor and students will dump each other from time to time so that your not dealing with the fear/anxiety/pain for the first time in a life or death situation. You should have a good idea as to your pain tolrance and how you deal before you do it for real.

As my instructor always says "I'll hurt you, but I will never harm you." The hurts are necessary lessons.

On sport bikes, I often tell people they need to learn and practice riding with a degree of fear, otherwise the first time you get scared in a corner you wont know how to deal... chop the throttle, hit the brakes and the bike stands up and poof... off the side of the road an dead.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
On a sidenote, I used to have one of my best friends punch me in the head when we used to work together. Was that toughness? Definitely not. Mentally unstable? Most likely... lol.

As for flinching, you won't get an argument from me about it being natural. It's the body's most instictive version of defense- it's coming at you, don't get hit. Conditioning yourself to be able to defend in a desired manner takes time, and I don't think there's any one absolute way to do it. However, it's the fact that you keep trying is what will get you where you want to be.

Now what worked for me, and some of the students I did train was to give them set sparring combinations. Initially, I'd have them go back and forth throwing one technique (I liked using jabs, since they tended to surprise a lot) and told them they could only counter with slipping, parrying or shelling-up. As the weeks progressed, I'd change it up a little and allow for more variation so eventually, they were pretty much opening up.

Last edited:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. I understand where blacklion is coming from. I have been in the schools where the instructor wants to dump you on your *** all the time just to show how hard he can hit. I have also been in the schools where the instructor and students will dump each other from time to time so that your not dealing with the fear/anxiety/pain for the first time in a life or death situation. You should have a good idea as to your pain tolrance and how you deal before you do it for real.

As my instructor always says "I'll hurt you, but I will never harm you." The hurts are necessary lessons.

On sport bikes, I often tell people they need to learn and practice riding with a degree of fear, otherwise the first time you get scared in a corner you wont know how to deal... chop the throttle, hit the brakes and the bike stands up and poof... off the side of the road an dead.

That's exactly right.

I have a background in Judo, and in Judo you can't be a good Judoka until you overcome your fear of the mat......and that involves throwing yourself and being thrown until it becomes an act that is performed without thought, much less anxiety.

Latest Discussions