Cops: They Never Break The Rules:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2260933175_0d2ac84129.jpg

Taken at the Hospital I work at... I know, I know, It was snowy and they didnt want to walk from the lot...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
However if their assistance was really needed inside I do not think anyone doctor's or administrator's of the hospital will mind.
icon14.gif

I have seen abuses by LEO's but in my experience they are in the minority. Most LEO's that I know work very, very hard to be professional in every way in a very, very, very difficult job.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
However if their assistance was really needed inside I do not think anyone doctor's or administrator's of the hospital will mind.
icon14.gif

I have seen abuses by LEO's but in my experience they are in the minority. Most LEO's that I know work very, very hard to be professional in every way in a very, very, very difficult job.
icon6.gif

I would have to agree

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We also don't know *why* the cruiser is parked there or whether or not they were resp0onding to a call.

They weren't. Without going into too much detail there really wasnt anything going on when My coworker took that Pic. The cops "hang out" at the hospital... often park in the ER Patient or Doctors parking, because its closer to the building than the lot. The only "excuse" I could see for it is if they had to get back to their cruiser quickly if they did get a call...

Typically if they are responding, they park in the loading dock, because its the closest point to remove people without obstructing the ambulance bay.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
icon14.gif

icon6.gif

We also don't know *why* the cruiser is parked there or whether or not they were resp0onding to a call.

My understanding (and please, LEOs, correct me if I'm wrong) is that an officer on a call can park anywhere, without regard to parking regulations that others have to follow. In the absence of other information, I lean toward granting the officer that parked this cruiser the benefit of the doubt, that the cruiser was parked there for business reasons.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
In most states a "Doctors Only" [or employees only, reserved for customers of..etc] parking sign on private grounds is not the same as a no parking sign or handicap sign as they are specifically mentioned in most states vehicle and traffic laws.

Just like many stop signs and stop lines in mall or plaza lots are on private property and not public roads and therefore unenforceable, at least in my state.

Where they matter is with insurance companies after accidents, but you cant write a ticket.

Not that it makes the officers parking there right or propper, but they are violating a private [hospital] rule not a law or public regulation. What usually happens on private property is the owner [or here hospital] can call for a private tow truck, have their security find the driver and tell them to leave or be charged with trespass. If the hospital doesnt mind the cop parking there than neither should you. If they do mind they could start by asking the officer not to park there or they can call his supervisor to complain. Unless you really need to find something to complain about.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My understanding (and please, LEOs, correct me if I'm wrong) is that an officer on a call can park anywhere, without regard to parking regulations that others have to follow.

This must be true. When something goes down in my city, you see police cars parked all kinds of ways, sideways, up on curbs, everywhere, very haphazard, not just in parking spaces, but wherever.

Also, at the Hall of Justice in my city (the courthouse), there was people raising a stink because the parking spaces (with the parking meters) were being all used up by police cars (sometimes they have to go to the court). It came out that you don't need to pay any meter or anything, you can park the police car anywhere, no problem.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding (and please, LEOs, correct me if I'm wrong) is that an officer on a call can park anywhere, without regard to parking regulations that others have to follow. In the absence of other information, I lean toward granting the officer that parked this cruiser the benefit of the doubt, that the cruiser was parked there for business reasons.

In most states a "Doctors Only" parking sign [or employees only, reserved for customers of..etc] on hospital grounds is not the same as a no parking sign or handicap sign as they are specifically mentioned in most states vehicle and traffic laws.

Just like many stop signs and stop lines in mall or plaza lots are on private property and not public roads and therefore unenforceable, at least in my state. Where they matter is with insurance companies after accidents but you cant write a ticket.

Not that it makes the officers parking there right or propper, but they are violating a private [hospital] rule not a law or public regulation. What usually happens on private property is the owner [or here hospital] can call for a private tow truck, have their security find the driver and tell them to leave or be charged with trespass. If the hospital doesnt mind the cop parking there than neither should you. If they do mind they could start by asking the officer not to park there or they can call his supervisor to complain. Unless you really need to find something to complain about.

Generally, when I was in patrol, where I would park would depend on why I was there. As Archangel M said, that sign would not generally have the force of law. (In fact, in VA, we run into a lot of improperly marked handicapped spaces that we can't enforce!) The exact laws on where an emergency vehicle may park depends on state law; we're often only exempt from parking regs in an emergency -- though we don't always play by the rules.

Why would a cop park there when he's "just hanging out" at the hospital? To be able to get back to his car quickly if he gets a call for service. Because he's not "just hanging out"; he's actually there on business (like getting medical records for court). Or even he's just lazy.

As I said, when I was in patrol, I would generally park in a space and hike in if I'm just checking businesses during the day, getting my lunch, or sneaking a quick stop for an errand in. On a call, I'd decide where to park in part on the nature of the call. For example, I'd park near the door, often in a fire lane on a shoplifter call. Why? Because if I had to march the suspect out in cuffs, I didn't want to negotiate a lot. The prisoner can fall, get run over, or even escape. Other calls? It'd depend. Some pure service (lost property, for example), I might park "legally" or at the door.

Oh... by the way, in at least one jurisdiction I'm aware, the parking enforcement officers are notorious for hunting for and ticketing marked cruisers. There's a bit of a clash between the police officers and parking officers there...

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Haha, in my city, it is very laid back as to where the police can leave their vehicles. This, to me, makes sense. What if all of a sudden, something very bad happens, and the police have to get there fast? Then, we see that its best to have that car at the ready, BAM!

Its so common in my city to see police cars in odd places, that its not even noticeable, just park that freaking thing wherever, hahaha! No one pays any mind, unless the lights are blinking, then, you know, you slow down or go down some other street instead, to avoid the jam-up.

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I took that picture and can tell you exactly what the situation was. The Hospital requests police to be in the ER entrance for certain hours of the day. The police are off duty and doing this for extra pay. They are not supposed to park there and they know it, it doesn’t matter if it is a law or not ,public or private property, a rule is a rule and when a rule gets broken by the people who are supposed to uphold them I think we should all be ashamed for making excuses. Just like the LEO that speeds by me every night on the way home I am going 40 in a 40 and he zips right by me every night. Yea, I know more excuses; he might be on a call, but every night? Nope he just turns around at the end of the city limits sign and zips back the other way. The police do not have the right to break the laws.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yawn.

If it really bothers you that much complain to the hospital administration [unless they dont have an issue with it...its their rule] or call the dept. and complain or even better complain to the officer himself.

Its much easier to to be all indignant and ***** about it on the internet while accomplishing nothing I guess.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yawn.

If it really bothers you that much complain to the hospital administration [unless they dont have an issue with it...its their rule] or call the dept. and complain or even better complain to the officer himself.

Its much easier to to be all indignant and ***** about it on the internet while accomplishing nothing I guess.

No, but in the Communist State of Illinois all complaining to the cops does is make you their target...

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
maybe he wasnt too sure of the definition lol jk

excuse me but what does LEO mean? im not too good on abbreviations and ive only been on here for a couple of days...........

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this context... LEO stands for Law Enforcement Officer. It's easier than trying to write "police officer, deputy sheriff, special agent, detective, or investigator", and more respectful than simply saying "cops." After all, they're not all cops...

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I took that picture and can tell you exactly what the situation was. The Hospital requests police to be in the ER entrance for certain hours of the day. The police are off duty and doing this for extra pay. They are not supposed to park there and they know it, it doesn’t matter if it is a law or not ,public or private property, a rule is a rule and when a rule gets broken by the people who are supposed to uphold them I think we should all be ashamed for making excuses. Just like the LEO that speeds by me every night on the way home I am going 40 in a 40 and he zips right by me every night. Yea, I know more excuses; he might be on a call, but every night? Nope he just turns around at the end of the city limits sign and zips back the other way. The police do not have the right to break the laws.

Not that this is an excuse for the officer parking where he should not.
Now, morally speaking, should the officer park where there is a sign posted against it? Absolutely not.

BUT....

I do have to say that it is not the police's job to uphold "rules". It is the job of police officers to enforce the law. As an example:

I was at a hospital when I needed to take pictures of a victim for evidentiary purposes. As I come in with the camera, one of the nurses tells me that I can't take pictures of the victim until he signs a release, hospital policy you see.

Well, I tell her, that's all well and good, but your policy doesn't apply to me. I don't work for the hospital. So I went ahead and took the pictures anyway. What does she do? She files a complaint against me. For breaking a rule which doesn't apply to me, and I was exhonorated by my department.

Although this doesn't apply in the context of what this officer did, I just wanted to clarify the issue of an officer upholding "rules".

jetboatdeath said:
Just like the LEO that speeds by me every night on the way home I am going 40 in a 40 and he zips right by me every night. Yea, I know more excuses; he might be on a call, but every night? Nope he just turns around at the end of the city limits sign and zips back the other way. The police do not have the right to break the laws.

Here is the applicable Illinois Speed Law:

(625 ILCS 5/11&#8209;601) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11&#8209;601)
Sec. 11&#8209;601. General speed restrictions.
(a) No vehicle may be driven upon any highway of this State at a speed which is greater than is reasonable and proper with regard to traffic conditions and the use of the highway, or endangers the safety of any person or property.

This means a prima facia speed limit, as in California. The speed must be of such a manner as to be excessive for the present conditions. If there is no or little traffic on the roadway, it is reasonable to say, go 50MPH in a 40MPH zone. the only restriction is if the person is going 40MPH more than the posted limit:

(625 ILCS 5/11&#8209;601.5)
Sec. 11&#8209;601.5. Driving 40 miles per hour or more in excess of applicable limit. A person who drives a vehicle upon any highway of this State at a speed that is 40 miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit established under this Chapter or a local ordinance commits a Class A misdemeanor.

So at this point, the question becomes, was the officer driving 80MPH on this highway. If so, then he is guilty of a misdemeanor. If not, then it is possible that no violation exists.

Now, I'm not silly enough to believe that if you drove 60MPH, he (or the courts, necessarily) would find that perfectly acceptable. But it give you, and him some wiggle room.

Sometimes things are not as straight forward as they would seem on the face of things....

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the applicable Illinois Speed Law:

(625 ILCS 5/11&#8209;601) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11&#8209;601)
Sec. 11&#8209;601. General speed restrictions.
(a) No vehicle may be driven upon any highway of this State at a speed which is greater than is reasonable and proper with regard to traffic conditions and the use of the highway, or endangers the safety of any person or property.

Note to self... In Illinois you can be ticketed for driving 5mph because the law states you only have to be going fast enough to "endanger the safety of any person or property."

But seriously, here's a question for you... who determines if you are traveling at a speed which is greater than is reasonable and proper with regard to traffic conditions and the use of the highway?

If I am on the expressway at 2am and there are no cars, Ive graduated from a driving acadamy, or am a professional race car driver in a high performance car... isn't "reasonable and proper" for me different than for Johnny Sixteen who just got a licence from the DMV that afternoon and is driving Mommy's Rollover Special?

Who decides that? The Cop who pulls me over? He doesn't know my capabilities or vehical condition... That's why I hate Legalease and the way laws are written.

Latest Discussions