Cool New Student

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonight, at my wife's TKD class, we got a new student who is on the staff at the gym we are now teaching out of.

She's 63 years young, is the ballroom dance instructor there, and has about 5 years of Tai Chi behind her when she lived near Boston. She specifically started the TKD to learn self defense. I just always get a kick our of people who take up or restart the Martial Arts at an age like that.

Jeff

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great student! Have to love the people who will try something new and not pull out the "old" card as an excuse to sit back and fade away.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Excellent! I am sure she will teach some of those whipper snappers a few things.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like I always said, AGE is just a NUMBER....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

ABSOLUTELY!!! My 82 year old student whips me around all the time during our private lessons.
icon14.gif

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe you can trade TKD lessons for ballroom dance lessons, dancing keeps you young :)

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, teachers, sifu, sensei...all from this forum should put the age of old students they have in classes. This is really a big "push" for certain people who have some certain fear in starting MA.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonight, at my wife's TKD class, we got a new student who is on the staff at the gym we are now teaching out of.

She's 63 years young, is the ballroom dance instructor there, and has about 5 years of Tai Chi behind her when she lived near Boston. She specifically started the TKD to learn self defense. I just always get a kick our of people who take up or restart the Martial Arts at an age like that.

Jeff

That is very cool. :)

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course you would say that Methusula!

Seriously though, it is just a number in many ways.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's great. Down in Cape there is a fella who was Army Air Corps back in WWII. The doctors said "Do something to keep moving Charlie or you will be more crippled up."

So Charlie is now an orange belt in Tae Kwon Do in Mr. Hendrickson's class. He goes on Saturday class to so he can get 3 times of practice a week.

That is cool cool
icon14.gif

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jeff

Cool!

I hope she kicks your ***! :D

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love to hear stories like this! Drac's point about age being just a number is truer now than it ever was. Please keep us posted on her progress, Jeff.

Latest Discussions