Contact Lenses

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recently switched from wearing glasses to wearing contact lenses. Back when I wore glasses, I would simply not wear them during practice. I'm near-sighted, so I could still see well enough during sparring that it didn't really hinder me. Now that I wear contacts, I keep them in during practice, because it would be a bit of a hassle to have to take them out, then put them back in again.

The other day, I got rocked hard enough with a right hook to the face that it knocked one of my contact lenses out of my eye and clear across the room. I was at a clear disadvantage the rest of that round due to uneven vision.

Those of you who wear contacts, what do you do? Do you take them out before class? Keep them in and try your best not to block with your face?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear daily disposable contacts, one gets knocked out ( or squeezed which can happened when grappling) I just put another in when I can. I find putting them in and taking them out very easy. I'm extremely short sighted and used to take my glasses off so I'm used to managing with practically no sight unless very close. I'm also used to having one in one out lol.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't wear contact lenses because I find them too much of a hassle. Definitely wouldn't wear them on days I'm going to be sparring for the reason you mentioned, plus it would be weird to fight with 20/20 vision.
Why didn't you just put your hand up and tell the guy my contact fell out can I get it quickly before continuing the round? In practice, I can't imagine anyone saying no to that.

OP
Z

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't wear contact lenses because I find them too much of a hassle. Definitely wouldn't wear them on days I'm going to be sparring for the reason you mentioned, plus it would be weird to fight with 20/20 vision.
Why didn't you just put your hand up and tell the guy my contact fell out can I get it quickly before continuing the round? In practice, I can't imagine anyone saying no to that.
It happened close to the end of the round, and, besides being a bit jarring, wasn't some traumatic experience. I would have absolutely been allowed to stop had I opted for it! My club isn't Kobra Kai, hah!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It happened close to the end of the round, and, besides being a bit jarring, wasn't some traumatic experience. I would have absolutely been allowed to stop had I opted for it! My club isn't Kobra Kai, hah!
I probably would have stopped anyway, for fear of someone stepping on it if I didn't know where it went. Not for my round, but for the safety of the lens (if its disposable I guess thats less important)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'd honestly help the guy look for it if that happened.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daily disposables are tiny slivers of plastic, they dry up and shrivel when discarded. I can highly recommend them, very comfortable and no problems with keeping them clean.

OP
Z

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wear the super thin plastic daily disposables. I just re-use the **** out of them!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear the super thin plastic daily disposables. I just re-use the **** out of them!

That is really not a good idea. You are exposing yourself to eye infections, they don't disinfect well as they have 'pores' in them ( which is why they dry up when you throw them away) which trap dirt and debris that the cleaning liquids don't get into as they are made for a different lens. They also have a time limit on them before they break down, when that happens the lens starts to break down, takes on your protein, mucus and bacteria that is normally in the eye leading to infection and possibly scarring. Throw them away, lens are cheaper and easier to get than new eyes.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have pretty bad vision but I just fight "blind". I also grapple which might make a difference but when I'm doing stand up, i.e. Grip fighting and going for a takedown, I really don't think it hampers anything. You're only a few feet from the person and so, IMHO unless you're just really blind without correction, just fight without them.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently switched from wearing glasses to wearing contact lenses. Back when I wore glasses, I would simply not wear them during practice. I'm near-sighted, so I could still see well enough during sparring that it didn't really hinder me. Now that I wear contacts, I keep them in during practice, because it would be a bit of a hassle to have to take them out, then put them back in again.

The other day, I got rocked hard enough with a right hook to the face that it knocked one of my contact lenses out of my eye and clear across the room. I was at a clear disadvantage the rest of that round due to uneven vision.

Those of you who wear contacts, what do you do? Do you take them out before class? Keep them in and try your best not to block with your face?

I can't wear contacts. I wear glasses, bifocals at that. So I had a set of racquetball goggles made with my prescription (near sighted only, didn't bother with the far sighted bifocal part). I've been wearing them for many years, they work great.

OP
Z

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can't wear contacts. I wear glasses, bifocals at that. So I had a set of racquetball goggles made with my prescription (near sighted only, didn't bother with the far sighted bifocal part). I've been wearing them for many years, they work great.
Can't imagine it's fun getting hit in the face wearing those!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have pretty bad vision but I just fight "blind". I also grapple which might make a difference but when I'm doing stand up, i.e. Grip fighting and going for a takedown, I really don't think it hampers anything. You're only a few feet from the person and so, IMHO unless you're just really blind without correction, just fight without them.
Hard for me to see my instructor without my glasses.

OP
Z

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Getting hit in the face isn't much fun regardless. These are padded and designed for impact.
Padded is smart! That makes a good bit of sense.

theres a video on FB showing a guy that went blind from infection by wearing his contacts while sleeping and/or too much.
That's terrifying! I kinda like being able to see... Might have to rethink my contact lens usage...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's terrifying! I kinda like being able to see... Might have to rethink my contact lens usage...

I would, I've worn them for years and my optician says I can carry on for years more if I wear them sensibly. I do alternate them with my glasses and don't wear lenses for too long at a time.

Latest Discussions