Congresswoman Giffords Shot in Tucson

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bullseye? They look more like the crosshairs in the finderscope accessory on my telescope than any bullseye.

Its a Palin-drome. ;)

Shhh. She can see Russia from her house, you know...

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone posted that they had cancer, would you tell them that this was weakness as well? If someone had diabetes, would you recommend that they just get over it?

It depends. If the person got cancer from smoking the last ten-twenty years then no I dont have pity for them. If its a kid who got cancer because their parents smoked then I am both angry at the parents, and heartbroken for the kid. Its a case by case scenario. Diabetes? If the person is fit and takes care of themselves then it sucks, if they are 350 pounds and sucking down the medication rather then get fit then no i have no pity for them. Alot of people have alot of bad things happen to them because they are stupid, or ignorant in most cases, or just careless and dont care. that I have no feelings for. The truely innocent cases are the ones that make me feel bad.

I'm with you to an extent. Sometimes people who are really nothing more than a malingerers hide behind bogus diagnosis. My experience has been that most of these people haven't actually been diagnosed by a medical professional, but instead kind of identify with the symptoms. "That's my OCD coming out." That sort of thing. I can't tell you how often that one in particular comes up. And I also believe that these people contribute to some of the misconceptions that surround mental illness.

There's also a misconception that people who suffer from clinical depression have more than a superficial relation to people who are "depressed." That most of us have been depressed at one time in our lives can mislead us into thinking that we understand what it means to be depressed in the clinical sense.

Point is, most people think they know more about mental illness than they actually know, and this argument from a position of ignorance can lead people to be crass.

I dont pretend to know anything about mental illnesses. I simply look at certain scenarios and have to call BS.
But I get where you are coming from, I just think that to many people are abusing it because they want an excuse to remain how they are rather then work hard to strive for more.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also think many docs over diagnose people with mental illness. After I shot someone I had to see a doc before I could go back to work. Doc asked me a bunch of questions and then said I had Post tramaitic stress disorder. When I asked how he figured that he said because I answered yes to the question about staying awake at night thinking about the incident. I told him he was a quack it happened 2 weeks ago of course I think about it. I left and never went back.
seems like all you need is a sad story and you can get a diganoses of mental illness. That floods the system and allows the true mentaly Ill to fall through the cracks

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gimme a break. The press and even our president have used metaphors like "they bring a knife we bring a gun". This Palin thing is a blatant and disgusting way of trying to score "points" off of a tragedy.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont pretend to know anything about mental illnesses. I simply look at certain scenarios and have to call BS.

So you admit you know nothing about mental illness, but you are perfectly comfortable deciding what those with mental illnesses are capable of, and what they should be doing? That's a pretty remarkable arrogance to be unfazed by it's admitted ignorance.

Better hope you don't develop something later in life. You might get back what you've been giving.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its a Palin-drome. ;)

How did a Saturday Night Live skit get turned into thinking she actually said that?

Not you Carol...but many people actually think that is a direct quote. The same people who think that a years old map with a "crosshair" makes her liable for this.

It's sickening all the way around.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lucky. On a phone do bestwith typos. I didn't ask whether you'd pity them. I asked if you'd suggest they just will the illness away. If youd tell them they're just being weak.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its a Palin-drome. ;)

And Obama can see all 57 states from the White House :lol:

Seriously, Obama can't get the number of states in the U.S. right and people insist Palin doesn't know anything because of what Tina Fey said? Only in America, baby :lol:

Pax,

Chris

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How did a Saturday Night Live skit get turned into thinking she actually said that?

Not you Carol...but many people actually think that is a direct quote. The same people who think that a years old map with a "crosshair" makes her liable for this.

It's sickening all the way around.

It is indeed sickening. My flu-addled brain was just trying to find some levity. Getting rather boring waiting for my next dose of tylenol and gatorade ;)

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Post by Lucky Boxer:
no there is a big difference and if you cant see its because your blinded by wanting to lash out at anyone who doesnt side with you on the subject. I am actually indifferent, in that I dont know what the answer is, I believe in basic human rights, and have no interest in killing anyone but the worst of the worst, the criminal murders, serial killers, child molestors, rapists, etc. Hitler obviously was not indifferent he did care and sought to exterminate them, if you can not see the difference then your probably in need of mental help yourself.

Just as a point of interest, when your argument dissolves to accusing me of needing mental help, you start losing credibility. :) I'm not blindly lashing out because you don't agree with me. Nor do you anger me. I can dislike your comments without being angry and 'lashing out'.

I am of the distinct state of mind that anyone who threatens me is mentally insane. I dont believe a person in their right mind would threaten me.

Mugging, breaking and entering, etc. Not necessarily mentally ill. Quite definitely though, a criminal act.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So you admit you know nothing about mental illness, but you are perfectly comfortable deciding what those with mental illnesses are capable of, and what they should be doing? That's a pretty remarkable arrogance to be unfazed by it's admitted ignorance.

Better hope you don't develop something later in life. You might get back what you've been giving.

ya well Im not worried about it, and I am ignorant about mental illnesses on a whole, but while its seems pretty apparant to me that some of the more extreme disorders are valid, when someone makes bad choices and then is unhappy with those bad choices, I would say thats them being pathetic, not them having a mental disorder of depression.
and look at you mr sympathetic, wishing mental illnesses on others... whats with you people? someone has a differnet opinion, or simply doesnt care about soemthing you might and you want to insinuate they are murders, or wish them mental illnesses... once again who is the sick one here? I dont wish anyone any problems other then like I said before the truely disgusting peopel in our society, the mass murders, serial killers, child molestors, rapists, etc... you make me sick, but I still dont wish you harm... lame.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the least I think these posts show that the free reign of the liberal press and media is over. People are realizing that they can't just sit back and shake their heads at the goofy things left wing politicians and media people do. All day long I have heard the hate coming from the left just in the last 60 days, and yet it is the tea party and Sarah palin, and rush and beck. The days of just taking these attacks and letting them stand are over. No more. It is time to say what you mean and stick to it. thanks LuckyBoxer, archangel, and ballen 0351, big don and Bill mattocks for not being cowed by the, "the heated political rhetoric needs to stop" (word not shown) that is being forced on people who disagree, with passion, about the culture, politics and everything else.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep on spinnin', tiny dancer.

images
BP_0405_heartland1.gif
Now there are some bulls eyes, oh, bonus, "ripe targets for Democrats"
About the Democratic Leadership Council
While other organizations continue to focus on political messaging, the central mission of the new DLC will be to develop and fight for ideas that can happen and reforms that will work.
Only "Hateful rhetoric" when used by conservatives?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lucky. On a phone do bestwith typos. I didn't ask whether you'd pity them. I asked if you'd suggest they just will the illness away. If youd tell them they're just being weak.

gotcha my bad, not yours...
no I dont think they can just will cancer, or aids, or something similar away.
I guess to be blunt I dont believe the hype. I think the terminology of mental illness is abused and overused to give people a reason to be lazy and not try to be better people.
I do not believe that depression is a mental illness, I think its someone being to weak minded to break themselves out of a funk. I think that horrible things can happen to people that break their spirit, but once again I do not consider that a mental illness, and thats when family and friends need to step in and support a person... not drugs, not doctors, and not my tax dollars.
I have a cousin who lost his wife unexpectedly to a brain anuerism(spelling i know..) hes upset, its a couple months later and he is getting better, now is that grief, or depression, or both?
I think its natural to be upset, and depressed, and I also think its natural to find what is important and fight back from that and move forward.
But I do not think its a mental illness.
does that clarify my answer for you?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
[/b]

Just as a point of interest, when your argument dissolves to accusing me of needing mental help, you start losing credibility. :) I'm not blindly lashing out because you don't agree with me. Nor do you anger me. I can dislike your comments without being angry and 'lashing out'.

[/b]

Mugging, breaking and entering, etc. Not necessarily mentally ill. Quite definitely though, a criminal act.

my point was that you thought my thoughts were the same as hitlers..
I expressed how we were different, and commented that if it seems the same you got issues :p nothing personal.. while I try to be straight to the point I have a definite sarcastic twist to my posts.... im like that in person too.. maybe i wasnt hugged enough as a child and need some meds and some understanding for my mental state
icon12.gif

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bighollywood has a whole page of hate radiating from the recent, and not so recent, past from our wonderful entertainment community. The list is truly amazing. I wonder how many regular people who just go about their lives know how hateful the left in hollywood really is when they are not reading a script.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/

1. Flashback: Wanda Sykes Hopes Rush Limbaugh's Kidneys Fail
3. Flashback: 'Boondocks' Creator McGruder Calls Condi Rice, Colin Powell Murderers
10. Flashback: Montel Williams Urges Michele Bachmann to kill herself
13. Flashback: Sean Penn Calls Reagan's Alzheimer's 'Justice'
4. Flashback: Ebert's Site Praises Left-wing Bush Assassination Film
6. Flashback: Alec Baldwin threatens to Stone Henry Hyde, kill children
12. Flashback: Jeff Wells Praises metaphor of 'Hobo' film blasting wealthy with shotgun

Oh, the love. Makes me feel all warm inside.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
This whole "blame talk radio and PALIN PALIN PALIN!!!!" thing stinks of so much hypocrisy I want to gag.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This whole "blame talk radio and PALIN PALIN PALIN!!!!" thing stinks of so much hypocrisy I want to gag.

We as a nation have been here before.

Attachments

• $blame radio.jpg
    $blame radio.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 179

Latest Discussions