Confidentiality & Other Thoughts on Telegraphing

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm curious to learn more about how telegraphing is studied by different Wing Chun lineages. Is confidentiality of movement a priority across the board? If so, in what ways do you incorporate confidentiality into your practice?

~ Alan

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello, I'm curious to learn more about how telegraphing is studied by different Wing Chun lineages. Is confidentiality of movement a priority across the board? If so, in what ways do you incorporate confidentiality into your practice?

~ Alan

What you speak of is in SLT...CK...MYJ,...etc.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

~ Alan

Being ahead of the opponent also crucial. Impose upon them and make them react, don't wait and react

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

~ Alan
In my opinion, the execution of a technique should be crisp and quick, and when that's achieved you have reached a pretty decent level of skill. For example even if I tell you during sparring, "I'm going to do a Tan da followed by a front kick" or something like that, the execution of both techniques should be so quick and powerful that even that you know what I'm doing you shouldn't be able to stop it. That's the general idea anyways.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No telegraphing is one of the key elements of all Wing Chun.
I'd be curious if there are any arts that don't have this as one of their principles. The execution would be different, but I would expect any combat or competition art to need this.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe they do. Am hoping this thread gets further into how we avoid and/or leverage telegraphing in some detail. Opportunity to share across lineages and across arts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you punch from

- WC guard,
- side of your waist.
- side of your chest,
- middle of your chest,

you are telegraphing your punch. If you just punch from wherever your hand is, you are not.

If you train punch from hands drop next to your legs position to your fist meets your opponent's face, you are not telegraphing your punch.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe they do. Am hoping this thread gets further into how we avoid and/or leverage telegraphing in some detail. Opportunity to share across lineages and across arts.

Here's a concept borrowed from my previous style:
When you move in to close the gap to your opponent, if your head moves in a straight vector toward his eyes, he will not register movement as easily as if your head bobs up and down as you close the gap. Thus he will not react as quickly.

So don't bob up and down when you do your shuffle steps.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you punch from

- WC guard,
- side of your waist.
- side of your chest,
- middle of your chest,

you are telegraphing your punch. If you just punch from wherever your hand is, you are not.

If you train punch from hands drop next to your legs position to your fist meets your opponent's face, you are not telegraphing your punch.
I don't agree entirely. There are hand positions that don't look like fighting positions to most people, so the hands being at chest level need not be a telegraph of the intention.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
jack_benny1.jpg
Like this

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't agree entirely. There are hand positions that don't look like fighting positions to most people, so the hands being at chest level need not be a telegraph of the intention.
Are you saying that when you raise your fists next to your chest, or in WC guard, you are not telegraphing yourself?

When I was young, one time I had problem with a guy. I turned my body side way in front of him. He said, "Are you trying to fight?"

The definition of telegraphing is to let your opponent to know that you are ready to fight.

WC_stance1.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that when you raise your fists next to your chest, or in WC guard, you are not telegraphing yourself?

When I was young, one time I had problem with a guy. I turned my body side way in front of him. He said, "Are you trying to fight?"

The definition of telegraphing is to let your opponent to know that you are ready to fight.

WC_stance1.gif
No, I'm talking about hand positions that approximate whatever your favorite guard is, but don't look like that guard. For me, it can be both hands up, palms out, in an "I don't want any trouble, friend" gesture. That approximates a "normal stance" with guard up. If I slide one foot slightly back, I get closer to a fighting stance, without looking like it, especially if I extend the rear-side hand forward more than the forward-side hand (so they remain parallel). This gives me my guard, with my hands at about chest level, without telegraphing that I'm about to strike.

Another option is the "thinking man" position (a.k.a. "the Jack Benny pose"), which puts up a reasonable fence, and looks even more natural with one foot slightly back.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I'm talking about hand positions that approximate whatever your favorite guard is, but don't look like that guard. For me, it can be both hands up, palms out, in an "I don't want any trouble, friend" gesture. That approximates a "normal stance" with guard up. If I slide one foot slightly back, I get closer to a fighting stance, without looking like it, especially if I extend the rear-side hand forward more than the forward-side hand (so they remain parallel). This gives me my guard, with my hands at about chest level, without telegraphing that I'm about to strike.

Another option is the "thinking man" position (a.k.a. "the Jack Benny pose"), which puts up a reasonable fence, and looks even more natural with one foot slightly back.

Oh right, I know what you mean. I misunderstood.

Latest Discussions