Conditioning Your Hands

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good jow doesn't use rubbing alcohol as it will dry out the skin. Rice wine or vodka is much better.

Various kung-fu schools use their own "family recipes" for jow. The jow my system uses was passed down to me from my teacher many years ago. Some systems keep their recipes secret, even to this day.

In generations past, Okinawan karate practitioners used their own types of medicine for the same purpose. It's almost never seen anymore.

In buying commercial jow, be careful that it is the real thing. Masterfinger mentioned two sources and they're quite good.

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some old methods of hand conditioning had practitioners either putting their hands/arms in hot water and/or into a heated dit da jow vase.
I've sometimes nuked- put my glass container into the microwave to heat up the formula prior to rubbing into my hands/arms. Just remember not to put the medication in a plastic container as harmful properties from the plastic will be absorbed into the formula.
From my research I also learned that it's important to rub the linament up past your elbows.

Bill Shovan

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can see a mild form of conditioning if someone was going into hardcore competition fighting like MY, Boxing, MMA.

But on average, it isn't the thing to waste time on.

Proper techniques on how to strike, punch will compensate

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can see a mild form of conditioning if someone was going into hardcore competition fighting like MY, Boxing, MMA.

But on average, it isn't the thing to waste time on.

Proper techniques on how to strike, punch will compensate

You been working on that answer for 6 years? Lol just playing

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Old thread I know but since it's been necro'd anyway... :)

We went through some hand conditioning work in class a little while back. Basically we got cloth bags (mine is just a off the shelf type thing from a local MA supplier) that we filled with rice or beans. We also had the chance to purchase some good quality ointment that was made by one of our instructors which I got along with some off the shelf DDJ from the same MA supplier so I could try conserve the good stuff.

Basically we run through an exercise where we massage and stimulate different pressure points in our arms (and legs) to get the energy flowing, rub in some ointment and then get to hitting the bags with a series of 5 strikes for x number of sets alternating hands each time so we don't cheat/get lazy and just focus on one. The strikes are extremely light to begin with and get harder as your hands become used to the impact. We work on 30 day cycles so once you start the exercise, you ensure you do it every day for the 30 day period. If you miss one, you start the count again. At the end of 30 days you either take a break or try a different program to allow things to settle and take effect.

I've not done anything more severe such as punching brick walls or clawing trees such as the stories about Takamatsu say he did but even with just light strikes to the rice bags and harder strikes to impact mitts, my overall striking power has gone up dramatically with no adverse effects to my hands.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are many different types of hand conditioning. Those who condition their hands by developing huge callouses are IMHO asking for health issues later in life. In the WC that I study we train bare handed on wall bags to train correct kinetic chain. Hitting something heavy / something that doesn't move, provides resistance that travels down the bones to the stance and helps to condition the tendons around the wrist etc

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most of the population do not train themselves to expect to have their hands conditioned.

It aint like those who do, would be forced to punch a person made of brick.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the population do not train themselves to expect to have their hands conditioned.

Ahh but if they did condition their hands then ya kinda have to pity the fool who was made of brick ;)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Accidentally punch someone in the skull and your going to feel like you've just hit a brick.

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Accidentally punch someone in the skull and your going to feel like you've just hit a brick.

What part of the skull?

Some parts of the skull is harder in some places.

The skull requires 15 psi to break

A brick or board, pending the selection (key word here), requires 10-15 psi

Unlike a board or a brick that just "sits there waiting", a opponent is not going to sit there was well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Unlike a board or a brick that just "sits there waiting", a opponent is not going to sit there was well.

Unlike a board or a brick that is fairly secure at both ends the skull is connected to nothing on one side and on the other it is connected to the neck which is flexible. So. I am taking your word on this one, the skull breaks at 15 psi, unlike a board or a brick it will move to take some of the impact depending on the direction it is hit

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good jow doesn't use rubbing alcohol as it will dry out the skin. Rice wine or vodka is much better.

Various kung-fu schools use their own "family recipes" for jow. The jow my system uses was passed down to me from my teacher many years ago. Some systems keep their recipes secret, even to this day.

In generations past, Okinawan karate practitioners used their own types of medicine for the same purpose. It's almost never seen anymore.

In buying commercial jow, be careful that it is the real thing. Masterfinger mentioned two sources and they're quite good.

This is a misconception. All alcohol dries out the skin.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why is it that those who conditioned have to use Dit Jow, oother stuff?

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
The way I see it, I am a strong believer of strike hard with soft and soft with hard. If you are afraid of breaking your hand on the hard skull, then use palm strikes to that area instead of punches. Do it it right, and it will still hurt just as bad if not more so. The simple way to test this is to go find a wall ( any wall ). Now with all of your power punch it as hard and with the best techniques as you possible can. Did you do it? Probably not because you are afraid of breaking your hand. Now try the same strike with a palm strike...suddenly a lot more confident right?

The thing is, I've broken my hand before when I accidentily punched the floor pretty hard playing around ( I was basically shadowboxing accept with ground fighting ). Had to have surgery and keep a cast on for a month. I know how much power and speed it takes to break your hand on a hard surface and it's honestly not that much. You acidentily miss and hit a forehead or or bony part of the skull and you're going to feel it. And even if your knuckles are conditioned, hitting this hard surface with your hard knuckles can't be to great for the wrist.

I say, in a fight why take the chance? If you KNOW you can land a punch ( such as when you burst in like in krav or parry and counter a la wing chun ) take it! but unless you have a clear shot, I'd use a palm.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Rickster to answer your question about 跌打酒

You would have to know what herbs are in it. One herb that is sometimes put in is Xue jie 血竭。The herb's folk name is Dragon's blood and it belongs to the Dracaena plant.
It is considered an herb used to move blood. There are other herbs used to treat inflamation and swelling and promote moisturing for the skin.

Dale Dugas is a member on this site who makes his own Jow he is also I believe a TCM doctor he has more experience than I on the subject so you can ask him or maybe he will chime in.:)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What I have seen with herbs and such for hand conditioning; I have seen it used a lot more in Traditional Chinese Martial Arts (although none of my sifus ever suggested its use) than in things more modern out of China like Sanda/Sanshou

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Rickster to answer your question about 跌打酒

You would have to know what herbs are in it. One herb that is sometimes put in is Xue jie 血竭。The herb's folk name is Dragon's blood and it belongs to the Dracaena plant.
It is considered an herb used to move blood. There are other herbs used to treat inflamation and swelling and promote moisturing for the skin.

Dale Dugas is a member on this site who makes his own Jow he is also I believe a TCM doctor he has more experience than I on the subject so you can ask him or maybe he will chime in.:)

So a good Jow is one without alcohol?

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What I have seen with herbs and such for hand conditioning; I have seen it used a lot more in Traditional Chinese Martial Arts (although none of my sifus ever suggested its use) than in things more modern out of China like Sanda/Sanshou
Why is that?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jow is the Cantonese for Jiu 酒 Jiu or Jow means wine so wine has alcohol in it.
Yaojiu 药酒 is the art of mixing herbs and alcohol together for medicine.
Making this is not my area as I only have a basic level and understanding of Jow ingredients which is why I recommend someone who has knowledge in that area such as Dale.

Latest Discussions