Concealed Weapons choices

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a teacher and I teach adult students in the evening. We have had a few times when "unauthorized" people have tried to gain entry into the building (not a big deal now as they were not violent, but I DO NOT allow people in the building at night).

I am looking for a weapons choice that I can carry in deep concealment and still be armed in a worst case situation.

In Kansas, USA I can carry a concealed firearm without a permit, so a firearm is an option (I have 4 handguns). I am not allowed to carry a baton (illegal). The stick would be a good option since I trained in Kali a few years back...but the law in Kansas says "NO...I can have a .45 on my belt but not a stick).

Any ideas as to a less than lethal option for self defense weapons?
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry but I kind of think you're overreacting some guys came into the building and nothing happened and assuming they left without trouble and you want to pull a weapon on those guys? Say a bunch of teenagers walk in not causing any trouble and some guy pulls a gun on them and threatens them. Sounds wrong to me from your description you have no need to carry a weapon

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you study a martial art? If so, what belt do you hold? If you are belted, why would a stick be better that what you have learned in your martial art? I'm not trying to be snarky. I just wonder why you feel you need a weapon if you are a well trained martial artist?

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the grounded. I am a trained martial artist with over 30 years in various arts....(TKD, Shotokan, Kali. JKD, Systema, and Western Martial Arts ). I am not 'reacting' to someone trying to come into the school at 930pm. That is really not the main point. I had the skills and present of mind to turn this person away with minimal contact and some stern words.

I am responsible for the safety of 50 students and 4 teachers. The area this school is in has seen 3 shooting and a stabbing in the last 8 months or so. I DO NOT want to resort to a firearm, thus my question. It just seems in Kansas I can have a canon on my hip, but not be allowed to hold a stick in self-defense.
Thanks again
Jeremy Bays

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you be more specific about your restrictions on the stick? Is it illegal to "carry" or illegal to use in self defense? I feel you might want to dig into that law a little deeper.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The following is from out state codes. I was told by a LEO friend that a baton (expandable baton) would fall under the "billy" or "bludgeon" in this code. I guess having a wooden Escrima stick nearby the door might be ok. I could use it for some 'other use' like opening a door or something.

K.S.A. § 21-6301 (2012)

(a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing or possessing any bludgeon, sand club, metal knuckles or throwing star;

(2) possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a billy, blackjack, slungshot, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument;

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seconding the maglight. You can use it however you would a stick, but it is not technically a weapon.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a teacher and I teach adult students in the evening. We have had a few times when "unauthorized" people have tried to gain entry into the building (not a big deal now as they were not violent, but I DO NOT allow people in the building at night).

I am looking for a weapons choice that I can carry in deep concealment and still be armed in a worst case situation.

In Kansas, USA I can carry a concealed firearm without a permit, so a firearm is an option (I have 4 handguns). I am not allowed to carry a baton (illegal). The stick would be a good option since I trained in Kali a few years back...but the law in Kansas says "NO...I can have a .45 on my belt but not a stick).

Thanks
Jeremy Bays
A gun is legal but a baton isn't? It's like I've been telling people. Martial Arts are deadly baton/stick beats gun in our world. I'm glad I don't live where you do.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following is from out state codes. I was told by a LEO friend that a baton (expandable baton) would fall under the "billy" or "bludgeon" in this code. I guess having a wooden Escrima stick nearby the door might be ok. I could use it for some 'other use' like opening a door or something.

K.S.A. § 21-6301 (2012)

(a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing or possessing any bludgeon, sand club, metal knuckles or throwing star;

(2) possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a billy, blackjack, slungshot, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument;
Throwing stars are cool, I think law makers watched too many ninja movies in the 70's. They didn't say anything about a staff.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A gun is legal but a baton isn't? It's like I've been telling people. Martial Arts are deadly baton/stick beats gun in our world. I'm glad I don't live where you do.
Well yeah. With a baton, you can use it to control people and be very malicious. With a gun, the most you can do is kill the person.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The law says you can carry, you're a teacher and by your writings seem mature, the area has had multiple shootings recently, you have four handguns, my guess is you've had training with them, yes?

I know what I'd be carrying if I were you, and it wouldn't be a fist full of fingers.
Sounds like a no-brainer.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you study a martial art?

Why yes, I do.

If so, what belt do you hold?

I hold a few low-medium Dan ranks.

If you are belted, why would a stick be better that what you have learned in your martial art? I'm not trying to be snarky. I just wonder why you feel you need a weapon if you are a well trained martial artist?

Because bad guys like weapons. And Chic-Chic-POW beats unarmed combat pretty close to every time.

Skip the stick. If you're allowed to carry a gun, do.

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I went into a local store here that sells retractable batons and I asked them "are these legal to carry here?" they showed me a little flashlight attachment on the tip and said "this is a retractable flashlight, it is 100% legal"

Maybe a loophole like this would work out for you if you would rather carry a batan.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why yes, I do.

I hold a few low-medium Dan ranks.

Because bad guys like weapons. And Chic-Chic-POW beats unarmed combat pretty close to every time.

Skip the stick. If you're allowed to carry a gun, do.

I liked the OP's straight forward answer better. :) But I can't argue with yours either.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Really people.... I am not here to 'prove' my skills, maturity, or anythings else like that. If you look at my icon, you will see that I am member number 7...yep, been here a long time, and left because this forum was reduced to a 'chest thumping' group.

I thought I would ask an honest question and seek honest advise. I am not looking for lines like "glad I don't live where you live". Well, I CAN move if I wish, but I happen to like living here.

I am grateful to the few people that really tried to help with this question. Thank you!

Now back to lurking. See you in another 5 years or so
--Jeremy

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because doing this to someone is on my bucket list.

SgtMagic

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Hi Jeremy,

I am a certified conceal carry instructor.
Regarding the firearm my recommendation would be the Glock 43 or the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield both are 9mm and both can hold 9 shots. The Glock 43 originally holds 6 +1= 7 shots. But my 43 has a base plate +2 it also holds 9. These two types of firearms are slim and easy to conceal. I am a big guy and I carry a full-size M&P 9mm.

Regarding your issue of people coming into the property. You have to understand the tactics of keeping yourself safe and keeping yourself from going to jail.

For us legally armed civilians we must use verbal judo. Meaning give commands to get out and threaten that
Police are on the way. if they don't back off then your decision on two or more person which many states consider as a gang, you can be ready to defend yourself with your firearm, it must be a last resort. Now regarding firearms and martial art, it's not something you want to do when you are carrying a firearm. fighting with your hands when the gun can be taken away is always a possibility so my recommendation is don't put yourself in that situation for hand to hand combat when they now know you have a firearm.

You mentioned school, many states you're not allowed to have a firearm in any school even if you have a CWP.

But regarding your home, I live in Florida and Florida has the Castle doctrine. Which means you're allowed to defend yourself with the firearm in your home if you feel that the person that broke into your home is going to do harm to you or your family.

I hope this helps,

Sgt. Magic

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you study a martial art? If so, what belt do you hold? If you are belted, why would a stick be better that what you have learned in your martial art? I'm not trying to be snarky. I just wonder why you feel you need a weapon if you are a well trained martial artist?

Really? As a tool using primate you should realize just how dangerous other tool using primates may be and that having a tool available to you is a better option than not.

Latest Discussions