Concealed Carry Shorts

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A couple of different issues going on here.

First, you can absolutely find shorts that you can carry a gun in. You'll probably need jean shorts, cargo shorts with a belt, or something similar. I've carried a paddle holster with drawstring shorts... It'll work, but you have to tie them TIGHT. With a knot that won't slip. I never meant to say that you can't -- only that choosing to carry a gun will effect the clothing choices you can make.

Second, on shorts. If you want to be taken seriously, if you're not hanging with your buds, you probably need to wear long pants unless shorts are justified by the activity. For example -- I do wear shorts biking, and in bike uniform, when the weather is appropriate I wear shorts. But as a general rule -- if you're doing adult stuff, you probably need to dress like an adult. Years ago, IBM had a corporate policy that they would wear suits for all business activity. Didn't matter where you were, you would be wearing a suit. (And a white shirt, and conservative tie.) They discovered when they were in the Middle East that their people were taken more seriously than some competitors who, in recognition of the temperatures, went to what amounts to modern business casual (collared shirt, slacks, not jeans).

Finally... "Stopping power." There simply ain't no such thing. Most of the agencies in my area carry a .40, usually 165 grain Hydrashock or similar. I know of two carrying .45. I believe (not certain) that the feds are still in 9 mm camp, though I know that they've at least expressed enough interest that several manufacturers have come out with 10 mm guns. A .22 will do the job -- if you place the round accurately. And a 50 mm won't do more than scare the bejeezus out of you if it's a miss. I've read plenty of accounts of people taking shots that should by all rights have killed them -- and fighting on. (Like a guy who took a point blank shot in the throat and walked several hundred yards to his own car. Or Sgt Marcus Young, Ukiah (CA) PD.) And others of people taking shots that had no business being fatal, and giving up.

You're trying to make one gun do too many jobs. You can't make one car do every job, from hauling freight to fuel efficient stop & go commuting to NASCAR. One gun can't do a good job as a hunting back up, and a concealed self defense gun. But a decent self defense gun can be a marginally adequate backup, if you select the right gun.

Your final comment is what I mean by utility. I would never HUNT with a pistol unless it was a .357 mag or above(probably above). But a pistol in the brush is nice for those unsuspected little suprises and the long gun is not an option. I have been hunting for years and on a few occasions wished that I could have been carrying a pistol and that is all I want for hunting purposes.

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As for the "adult" activities...I got a little peeved because the it sounded VERY condescending and as if I didn't get the shorts at the right times lecture in 6th or so grade. I mean I am a University student and I wear a suit to Church when I go lol. Plus shorts are much more the common clothing in Florida for all ages. I am the average joe...not a operator who has to worry about contact with hot pavement all the time. When I hunt I wear pants for the right reasons. But walking around in the place I am at now...shorts are appropriate lol. I wouldnt wear them if they werent :). I over reacted to that comment. Sorry for that. No harm no foul I guess.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if this has been brought up yet, and I have just ordered one so I have yet to be able to testify to any quality or user friendliness but this should work with any pair of shorts provided they fit well: The clip-draw. It is a clip that attaches to the outside of almost any gun and doesnt wreck the finish (supposedly). It makes it so the gun can clip onto anything you want it to (in theory).

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I dont know if this has been brought up yet, and I have just ordered one so I have yet to be able to testify to any quality or user friendliness but this should work with any pair of shorts provided they fit well: The clip-draw. It is a clip that attaches to the outside of almost any gun and doesnt wreck the finish (supposedly). It makes it so the gun can clip onto anything you want it to (in theory).

I have to leave for work now but will post an explanation when I get home.

Long story short: BAD IDEA.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to leave for work now but will post an explanation when I get home.

Long story short: BAD IDEA.

To elaborate:

Any holster or carry system, in order to be considered an acceptable defensive carry system, must do these things:

*Keep the gun where you put it

*Give you the gun when you want it

*Take the gun when you're done with it(WITHOUT your having to look or involve your other hand).

*Possess at least a minimal means to resist a snatch attempt( SERPA, Thumb break, tension screw, etc)

All the clipdraw meets is number 2.

It can't be considered to keep the gun where you put it because that clip can't be guaranteed to stay on the belt in the same place should you fall/need to run/whatever.

It can't be considered to take the gun when you're done with it under necessary conditions (what if you need your eyes to remain on the threat/scan for others while you reholster? What if your other hand must remain free to access a phone/deal with a sudden new attacker? What if you muzzle your own fingers while under Body Alarm Reaction, not knowing your finger's still on the trigger? Oops)

And it possesses not even the most basic retention.

I cannot in good conscience recommend it.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just providing a few counterpoints...

All the clipdraw meets is number 2.

It can't be considered to keep the gun where you put it because that clip can't be guaranteed to stay on the belt in the same place should you fall/need to run/whatever.
I think this really depends on the type of gun. I spent quite a bit of time carrying a snubnose equipped with Barami Hip-Grips and never had a problem with it staying where I wanted it. I even grappled with it (unloaded) to test the "staying put factor." No worries...

It can't be considered to take the gun when you're done with it under necessary conditions (what if you need your eyes to remain on the threat/scan for others while you reholster? What if your other hand must remain free to access a phone/deal with a sudden new attacker? What if you muzzle your own fingers while under Body Alarm Reaction, not knowing your finger's still on the trigger? Oops)
If you're dealing with a new attacker, anticipating another threat, etc. Why are you reholstering at all? I personally think too many people emphasize a "speed re-holster." If you need to draw the gun, keep it out 'till you're sure you don't need it anymore. At that point (when you're sure you don't need it anymore right then) why is there a problem with a quick glance to make sure you're holstering it correctly. Also, a finger on the trigger while re-holstering can *probably will* cause you to get shot regardless of what kind of holster/carrying-device you're using.

Now, I can see this being a little different for a LEO on duty since they may have to perform other tasks. For example, holstering so they can apply handcuffs, or use another level of force. For most people though, I don't see it being as much of an issue.

And it possesses not even the most basic retention.

I cannot in good conscience recommend it.
When it comes to concealed carry, I tend to believe retention is a result of concealment, and physical technique--not a device on the holster. As long as the carry method provides enough "retention" to keep the gun from falling out of your pants, I don't really see the need for much more. That being said, a gun carried IWB has some level of retention just from the tension of the belt. As I said before, I never lost my .38 when carrying with this method.

Now, I don't necessarily think the clip draw is the best method. I much prefer a regular IWB holster (and have no trouble concealing such a setup). To be honest, I wouldn't carry a Glock with this method due to the fact that the trigger-guard isn't covered. However, on a gun with a long, heavy trigger-pull like a j-frame or Kel-tec, I don't see a problem.
My point is merely that I don't think they're as bad as you're making them out to be.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you're dealing with a new attacker, anticipating another threat, etc. Why are you reholstering at all? I personally think too many people emphasize a "speed re-holster."

So do I. which is why I never said anything about one.

Also, a finger on the trigger while re-holstering can *probably will* cause you to get shot regardless of what kind of holster/carrying-device you're using.

Yes it will.

When it comes to concealed carry, I tend to believe retention is a result of concealment, and physical technique--not a device on the holster. As long as the carry method provides enough "retention" to keep the gun from falling out of your pants, I don't really see the need for much more. That being said, a gun carried IWB has some level of retention just from the tension of the belt. As I said before, I never lost my .38 when carrying with this method.

Well--you're gonna have to stop someone unarmed a lot more often then the circumstances are right for you to draw and shoot. So out you go with your concealment rig and you think "Ok, well a gun that can't be seen can't be snatched".

Then it happens. You're using your unarmed method, whatever it be, and your "customer" knocks one of your arms out of the way, or drops and otherwise gets his arms around your waist to tackle or throw you--and bump frisks your holster. Oops.

I can't speak for anyone else but I want a thumb break on my holster then. it'll give me enough time to discourage him with a "thumb break" of my own.