Training With Simulated Injury

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few days ago, I was watching a few clips of Dale Seago, that he had posted on his facebook account. He rigged up a mock arm injury, with his arm in a sling, and then proceeded to have his uke attack. Obviously this forces the person to use evasion, one hand to block and strike, as well as your legs.

I thought the clip was pretty cool and it showed the importance of being able to defend yourself while you're partially incapacitated.

So, does anyone else do this sort of training? If so, how do you usually train it? Personally, I dont, but I think I will start devoting some training time to doing this sort of thing.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never even thought about traning like that. Although I'm fully aware of arms and or legs being crippled in a fight, the thought never even crossed my mind to train for it. It does make sense though!

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We do something similar to that, without the props. We have one or both of the fighters not use some part of their body. i.e. don't use your left-side, don't punch, don't kick, etc.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something like they did in the movie Redbelt??

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few days ago, I was watching a few clips of Dale Seago, that he had posted on his facebook account. He rigged up a mock arm injury, with his arm in a sling, and then proceeded to have his uke attack. Obviously this forces the person to use evasion, one hand to block and strike, as well as your legs.

I thought the clip was pretty cool and it showed the importance of being able to defend yourself while you're partially incapacitated.

So, does anyone else do this sort of training? If so, how do you usually train it? Personally, I dont, but I think I will start devoting some training time to doing this sort of thing.
We like the touch game for kids, its a sparring game of tag where each time they get touched they use the use of that appendage. A touch to the face means you go blind; so, they have to close there eyes. However a touch to the body is the kill shot, and the game starts over. It is an intruduction to the concept you are describing and its fun too.
Sean

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have this is my training. It started out because of real injuries. Some fairly serious ones in wrists cut by a window and badly messed up foot. Used to walk around with a cane in highschool. Took me over a year to come back and many thought i wouldn't make it.
Thing is, the disability was sortof like a kata in a way. Did stuff to me. Choices really. Some are made because one is forced to or because it is the easiest, most natural fast and powerful. But there are many ways and actually it's the spirit that guides as well as the spirit that is kindled or abandoned. I guess this has to do with the meridians of the physical body.

Nowadays, sometimes when i train, i take this cane and i walk around like i used to, but actually i am fixing the posture by aiming for certain goals of flexibility, balance...also i sometimes walk with a bit of a limp
actually, i seek to find balance in this way with all actions. Be it striking, sword practice, kicking, writing or cleaning shoes, the ambidexterity does seem to be very practical and there are more mysterirous aspects to this sort of mirroring of moves. Strange how the left and right can learn from each other. I believe that every limb and every extremity is an extension of the tanden that is the reflection of the mind. Don't let the left know what the right is doing..or something like that.
Whatever the case, it should be like two swords that are completely in unison as well as completely independant at the same time.

j

Last edited by a moderator:

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My injuries are not simulated. Trained with a broken hand, trained with torn ligaments, trained with jammed fingers, trained with bad ankle.

And that is why I can lead with either hand and kick well with either leg, and shoot with either hand to!

Deaf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never tried it, but it does make sense. I have trained with firearms from the weak hand, using a pistol held upside down and firing with the pinky on the trigger, etc. Good training, if you practice (I should but don't) diligently.

I'll give it some thought. I'm laid up at the moment, spent the last week pumped full of antibiotics, I've got MRSA again, this time on my left arm, thought I was going to lose it. I've got a marble-sized hole the doctor dug on the inside of my elbow. Left arm will not be much good for awhile.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never tried it, but it does make sense. I have trained with firearms from the weak hand, using a pistol held upside down and firing with the pinky on the trigger, etc. Good training, if you practice (I should but don't) diligently.

Yup...In the police instructor school we learn to do a lot of draws and reload with one arm being made immobile..Yes, it takes practice to learn it and more practice to keep the skill ready..

I'll give it some thought. I'm laid up at the moment, spent the last week pumped full of antibiotics, I've got MRSA again, this time on my left arm, thought I was going to lose it. I've got a marble-sized hole the doctor dug on the inside of my elbow. Left arm will not be much good for awhile.

Soory to hear about that..Heal quickly friend...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done a fair amount of that kind of thing (as well as other "situational" training).

Some examples would be not being allowed to use one hand or the other, dimming the lights or turning them off completely so that only ambient light is available (be careful with this...probably best reserved for students who know what they're doing).

Some of the handgun classes I've attended placed a heavy emphasis on shooting, reloads, and malfunction clearing with only one hand from various positions.
In a scenario in one of the "force on force" classes I attended, we were handicapped by placing one hand in an oven-mitt and having it taped up (so we couldn't use the hand, even if we tried to cheat). We were then handed an empty gun, told that we had been shot and that the bad guy was still there, then given the "go" command (the incentive to get the gun running again was fairly high given that everyone involved had a Simunitions gun :D).

On a "non-voluntary" level, I've also had to train while suffering from various injuries (jammed fingers, messed up ankles, knees, shoulders, etc.).

Any training where you get a little dose of reality instead of just playing tag or working techniques against a cooperative partner is a good thing.