Competition format for WC

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should start with in school or intraschool unpublicized bouts so that your fighters have a clue before you start doing something that takes a monetary investment.

Exactly. Practice the format inside a 6' x6' taped square with something like the proposed rules. See if it works. Make adjustments in the rules and ring as needed. Then build the platform. Try it out. Make sure it's safe and make any necessary improvements. Maybe pad the top and sides? Get the wrinkles ironed out then invite other groups. Share some videos.... and if it's fun, get some bigger groups together.

Somebody with a real school and a good number of students could actually get something like this going. I'm a part-time instructor and only have a handful of students split between WC and FMA. So I'm definitely not the guy to promote this.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to see a WC sparring/competition rule-set that was totally distinctive and just ...well, kinda fun. Like something based on the "table-top" fighting seen occasionally in chi-sau demos and in the move Ip Man II, but toned down for safety. How about fighting on a raised 6ft. X 6ft. platform set about 1ft. off the ground, with pads on the edges and mats on the ground below.

Opponents would have to do all their fighting in a very limited space. Scoring would be continuous like boxing, clinches would have a time limit then the ref would separate the fighters. Throws would be allowed and could be followed to the ground for a maximum of five seconds, limiting, but not totally eliminating groundwork. Lastly, falling off the platform would result in a deduction of points, but not defeat. You wouldn't want to have falling off end in a loss since that could lead to a "sumo" strategy of big guys pushing and shoving rather than encouraging a close range striking bout.

This kind of fighting platform might really make it fun to watch infighting striking systems like WC and related styles compete. Also, it needn't be restricted to CMA. Boxers and others could do quite well under such circumstances.

That sounds like fun, actually. I'd participate even if (especially if?) you weren't keeping score :D

Really though, why do we need to keep score? Can't sparring just be a fun thing and a learning experience?

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless The platform is 20 feet above the ground with alligators and poisonous snakes underneath? This just doesn't interest me. Sorry fellas.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That sounds like fun, actually. I'd participate even if (especially if?) you weren't keeping score :D

Really though, why do we need to keep score? Can't sparring just be a fun thing and a learning experience?

Not always. Sometimes it is a knock down drag out war. Played for wins.

It depends what you are trying to achieve.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it is a competition that involves face punching. I will play to win because if I don't and the other guy does I am more likely to get hurt.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless The platform is 20 feet above the ground with alligators and poisonous snakes underneath? This just doesn't interest me. Sorry fellas.
Man tough crowd? I was hoping someone would agree, like or find this post informative? Come on, snakes and alligators? That's just rad!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sharks. With fricken laser beams. Is that too much to ask?

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

ask and ye shall receive

614115-laser-sharks-.jpg

Latest Discussions