Commando Krav Maga

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between Commando KM and, I'm not sure the proper term being a layman but, "regular" Krav Maga ?
Also can anyone recomend any to me in the Orange County CA area ? Much appreciated .

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, "Commando Krav Maga" is Israeli Moni Aizik's personal style of KM. While I've not heard his physical skills questioned, his DVD course has had mixed reviews, at best, IIRC. Still, check it out and see if you like it or if it works for you. I believe his system incorporates more jiu-jitsu than most other Krav Maga schools/styles. I'm afraid that, IMO, there's no such thing any longer as "regular" Krav Maga. However; the Los Angeles (Darren Levine) group teaches a more mainstream version and, despite some reservations on some techniques and practices, I've found them to be a responsible and professional group. Personal opinion? Go with the L.A. Group.

BTW, I think you can probably rent the L.A. group's DVD's from Netflix (I did a couple of years ago). However; they are worth buying, IMO, as they have some great moments and solid basics.

OP
Ronnin

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, "Commando Krav Maga" is Israeli Moni Aizik's personal style of KM. While I've not heard his physical skills questioned, his DVD course has had mixed reviews, at best, IIRC. Still, check it out and see if you like it or if it works for you. I believe his system incorporates more jiu-jitsu than most other Krav Maga schools/styles. I'm afraid that, IMO, there's no such thing any longer as "regular" Krav Maga. However; the Los Angeles (Darren Levine) group teaches a more mainstream version and, despite some reservations on some techniques and practices, I've found them to be a responsible and professional group. Personal opinion? Go with the L.A. Group.

BTW, I think you can probably rent the L.A. group's DVD's from Netflix (I did a couple of years ago). However; they are worth buying, IMO, as they have some great moments and solid basics.
Thanks for the imput. I'm new to this art obviously, and I'm just doing my reserch. I am going to pursue this art, just trying to find the right school. So any feed back from the experienced is VERY welcome.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Darrine Levine's DVD's are pretty solid and very, very professionally well done. Just like Johnathan said.

Remi Lessore

White Belt
Reaction score
Why does Moni Aizik call his style Commando Krav Maga?
He claims that in combat situations ordinary KM was not as effective as his competitive judo, he therefore had to create his own style of Commando Krav Maga. It makes sense that under stress he should revert to judo – he was a judo champion. All his reflexes were conditioned by his judo training and the brief Krav Maga training that soldiers receive could not recondition these reflexes. Nor should it – judo is an effective close quarter art as well as being a sport – so too are Western and Thai boxing.
Without detracting from Mr Aizik’s no-doubt deserved reputation as a fighter, what he does is no more Israeli Krav Maga than karate, kung fu, or taekwondo.
OK, in the literal sense krav maga does mean ‘close combat’, so Moni Aizik claims justification naming his style. But, all of the above arts are forms of close combat (krav maga) … Then again, all are ‘empty hand’ (kara te), all require ‘hard work’ (kung fu), all are ‘ways of fist and foot’ (tae kwon do). We follow the convention of respecting names to avoid confusion between quite different arts.

So, why would Mr Aizik promote this confusion?

Krav maga is based on security, simplicity, ease of learning, and speed of execution along the shortest line.
What Moni Aizik does is clearly based on his judo/jujitsu. Out of respect both for these and for krav maga, he should choose some other name for his style - perhaps Commando Judo … or even Israeli Jujitsu if he wants to honour his roots along the lines of Brazilian Jujitsu?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why does Moni Aizik call his style Commando Krav Maga?
He claims that in combat situations ordinary KM was not as effective as his competitive judo, he therefore had to create his own style of Commando Krav Maga. It makes sense that under stress he should revert to judo – he was a judo champion. All his reflexes were conditioned by his judo training and the brief Krav Maga training that soldiers receive could not recondition these reflexes. Nor should it – judo is an effective close quarter art as well as being a sport – so too are Western and Thai boxing.
Without detracting from Mr Aizik’s no-doubt deserved reputation as a fighter, what he does is no more Israeli Krav Maga than karate, kung fu, or taekwondo.
OK, in the literal sense krav maga does mean ‘close combat’, so Moni Aizik claims justification naming his style. But, all of the above arts are forms of close combat (krav maga) … Then again, all are ‘empty hand’ (kara te), all require ‘hard work’ (kung fu), all are ‘ways of fist and foot’ (tae kwon do). We follow the convention of respecting names to avoid confusion between quite different arts.

So, why would Mr Aizik promote this confusion?

Krav maga is based on security, simplicity, ease of learning, and speed of execution along the shortest line.
What Moni Aizik does is clearly based on his judo/jujitsu. Out of respect both for these and for krav maga, he should choose some other name for his style - perhaps Commando Judo … or even Israeli Jujitsu if he wants to honour his roots along the lines of Brazilian Jujitsu?

I would imagine that he is just trying to differentiate himself and his line of Krav Maga.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently we have seen a growth in different Krav Maga organizations, styles, etc. This all leads to instructors trying to create their own personal stamp on the art. This is a good thing in my opinion overall with the only negative thing being the weekend Krav Maga instructor certifications. (those are a joke in my opinion)

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Recently we have seen a growth in different Krav Maga organizations, styles, etc. This all leads to instructors trying to create their own personal stamp on the art. This is a good thing in my opinion overall with the only negative thing being the weekend Krav Maga instructor certifications. (those are a joke in my opinion)

Only Moni isn't teaching Krav Maga. He is teaching Judo and JuJutsu. So why doesn't he call it Commando Judo and JuJutsu?

Because he wants to latch on to what's most popular. He is a fraud. Stay away.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
@TheArtofDave

You realize you are resurrecting threads 7-10 years old....that most posters have moved on from.

The original poster hasn't even been on this site in the last 5 years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TheArtofDave

You realize you are resurrecting threads 7-10 years old....that most posters have moved on from.

The original poster hasn't even been on this site in the last 5 years.

To be fair though, Dave only posts every couple of years.

Latest Discussions