Combat vs art

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My focus started as SD, has wandered back and forth between that and the intellectual and physical pleasure of learning techniques. For many years (and much of the time even now) much of my personal training was really about how good it felt to do something well. I figure I have most of the skill for SD I'll ever manage, so my personal training isn't much about that, thought it's what my teaching is mostly (but not entirely) about.
At the end of the day I believe most martial arts teach a lot that unpractical for self defence simoy because most street fights are simple, punches, blocks, kicks grabs and knees and elbows and there's no fluidity or timing it's just free for all. So there's a lot in pretty much every martial art that frankly wouldn't be useful at all but who cares

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the end of the day I believe most martial arts teach a lot that unpractical for self defence simoy because most street fights are simple, punches, blocks, kicks grabs and knees and elbows and there's no fluidity or timing it's just free for all. So there's a lot in pretty much every martial art that frankly wouldn't be useful at all but who cares
but that MOST street fight, street fights which contain at least one ma have fluidity and timing , it should be what the training gives you

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
but that MOST street fight, street fights which contain at least one ma have fluidity and timing , it should be what the training gives you
Couldn't care less if it does or doesn't. I enjoy what I do couldn't give a damm if it helps me in a fight or not

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Couldn't care less if it does or doesn't. I enjoy what I do couldn't give a damm if it helps me in a fight or not
if you don't " give a dam" why have you created thread to discus the relative merits ? It's seems you want to give your view but then shut down anyone who disagrees

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you don't " give a dam" why have you created thread to discus the relative merits ? It's seems you want to give your view but then shut down anyone who disagrees
He hasn't tried to shut anyone down.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously.....why do you always try to start arguments in every single thread....I haven't shut anyone down I've said my own opinion that I don't care about fighting and that it doesn't matter to me you can have your opinion doesn't make a difference to me

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously.....why do you always try to start arguments in every single thread....I haven't shut anyone down I've said my own opinion that I don't care about fighting and that it doesn't matter to me you can have your opinion doesn't make a difference to me
well that nice of you, to let me have an opinion, you have invited views, then told me you don't give a dam for the opinion ive expressed, then accused me of starting arguments by giving opinions that are different to yours.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well that nice of you, to let me have an opinion, you have invited views, then told me you don't give a dam for the opinion ive expressed, then accused me of starting arguments by giving opinions that are different to yours.
Bye bye go find yourself another argument

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely. I couldn't care less about fighting anymore. I never really cared much about the self defence side it's good to know it but I'm not obsessed with it. I just enjoy training. I've never been in a street fight in my life and have no plans on starting now
Agreed. In my opinion, if the quality of the training and instruction is high, then the self defense skills are always there. But it does not need to be your first or even second or third or fourth priority in why you train.

Some of the folks who get very focused on the self defense and combative side of training can come across as being downright paranoid.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. In my opinion, if the quality of the training and instruction is high, then the self defense skills are always there. But it does not need to be your first or even second or third or fourth priority in why you train.

Some of the folks who get very focused on the self defense and combative side of training can come across as being downright paranoid.
Yeah I mean there's nothing wrong with being cautious and training for self defence but really unless you're a total ******* you're not likely to need to use it that many times maybe 1-3 times if your unlucky. At the end of the day you've got to enjoy it. Martial arts isn't a job the only people who genuinely /need/ training for their lives is army and police because they know they'll always be in dangerous situations. I mean of course you'll pick up self defence as you train I mean I'm pretty sure I could handle myself if some drunk takes a swing at me but I don't care about it. I couldn't care less about who I can take out or if I can get a knock out blow on someone or if my technique works under pressure. It just doesn't concern me

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I mean there's nothing wrong with being cautious and training for self defence but really unless you're a total ******* you're not likely to need to use it that many times maybe 1-3 times if your unlucky. At the end of the day you've got to enjoy it. Martial arts isn't a job the only people who genuinely /need/ training for their lives is army and police because they know they'll always be in dangerous situations. I mean of course you'll pick up self defence as you train I mean I'm pretty sure I could handle myself if some drunk takes a swing at me but I don't care about it. I couldn't care less about who I can take out or if I can get a knock out blow on someone or if my technique works under pressure. It just doesn't concern me

Martial arts is more fun when you are winning though. BJJ is a good example of that.

Sitting under a guys knee for a whole roll sucks.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts is more fun when you are winning though.
MA is also fun when you are not losing. When your opponent

- throws 20 punches toward your head, none of those punches can land on you,
- tries to take you down for 20 minutes, you are still standing,

you will smile in your dream for 3 nights.

Different people have fun from different part of the MA training. As long as you can have fun, that all it matters.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Honestly, if I end up needing to use what I know, that's a huge issue. I've mentioned before i used to get in fights when I was younger...MA is like my AA. It keeps me from wanting to get into fights, so me going to class is me actively trying not to need the skills I am learning. I personally find it very ironic.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial arts is more fun when you are winning though. BJJ is a good example of that.

Sitting under a guys knee for a whole roll sucks.
That doesn't count as fighting that's training or competing. Fighting is in the streets. Anything in a ring or a gym is simply a match

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't count as fighting that's training or competing. Fighting is in the streets. Anything in a ring or a gym is simply a match
Whats the difference to you? IMO fighting is any act of combat/agression. Doesn't matter if I challenge someone to a 1 on 1 match, defend myself from an aggressor, or stab someone who bothers me. As far as I'm concerned, any situation where I'm intending harm to the other person (including kickboxing or MMA matches) would be considered fighting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Tell that to the girl your( sister? niece?) fought.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it counts as combat!!!! The title of the thread is COMBAT V art, not street fighting v art, which is a completely different discussion and one you are slowly morphing in to

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference to you? IMO fighting is any act of combat/agression. Doesn't matter if I challenge someone to a 1 on 1 match, defend myself from an aggressor, or stab someone who bothers me. As far as I'm concerned, any situation where I'm intending harm to the other person (including kickboxing or MMA matches) would be considered fighting.
That's pretty close to my view. I'll often even include in my use of "fight" those instances that don't include the intent to harm (BJJ/Judo/wrestling matches), depending upon context.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it counts as combat!!!! The title of the thread is COMBAT V art, not street fighting v art, which is a completely different discussion and one you are slowly morphing in to
Which is why I separate into 3, Combat, Sport, and Art, where Combat is for survival.

Latest Discussions