25 years since..

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I've been sorting through some old stuff and found an old medal and realised its been almost exactly 25 years since my last boxing match....I still remember it. It was on a New Year's Eve show a local promoter was running....training through Christmas was a ***** ill tell you but anyway I didn't plan it to be my last one but after it boxing shows got less and less and the opponents in my division starting getting thin so I transitioned to kickboxing.

But back to that last fight I was the co main event against some Irish guy I forget his name. But anyway it was a very back and forth fight it was a 6 round fight and honestly I thought it should've been a draw. I feel we both won 3 rounds but the judges gave it to me. But it was a freaking war I had him hurt early and he took a standing 8 but in the second round he knocked me down with a cross and broke my nose. Rest of the match is pretty hard to remember and didn't have many spectacular momens just back and forth exchanges.

As I said I got the win so you know happy about that but I still believe it really should've been a draw but hey I got screwed out of decisions I easily should've won so hey that's the fight world.

Wow looking back on those old times sure makes me feel old lol

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Let me help: your last boxing match took place before I started kindergarten. :oops:

Lets put this in perspective.... first I have leather jackets older than you....also I was in my 30s when his last boxing match took place...now for the proper old codger response to your youthful poke at the elderly

Why you young, smart phone obsessed, baggy clothes wearin', whipper snapper, no respect for yer elders..... GIT OFF A MY LAWN!!!!!!! :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Twenty five years ago....seems like yesterday. That went kind of quick.

Had never heard the term BJJ before, I had just started training with Rickson, he was in his early thirties. My buddy's son, Mark, was a toddler, now he's 20 and 0 as a professional boxer.

I had been a fighter for over twenty years. I had a lot of hair, and it was dark. None of my friends were dead yet. The team that I had followed for over thirty years, the Patriots, had sucked for all of those thirty years.

Used to fly west to train in L.A. Now I have to fly east.

Nobody I knew had a cell phone....if there was such a thing back then.

Twenty five years......seems like a long time through the wind shield, not so much in the rear view mirror.

Damn.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twenty five years ago....seems like yesterday. That went kind of quick.

Had never heard the term BJJ before, I had just started training with Rickson, he was in his early thirties. My buddy's son, Mark, was a toddler, now he's 20 and 0 as a professional boxer.

I had been a fighter for over twenty years. I had a lot of hair, and it was dark. None of my friends were dead yet. The team that I had followed for over thirty years, the Patriots, had sucked for all of those thirty years.

Used to fly west to train in L.A. Now I have to fly east.

Nobody I knew had a cell phone....if there was such a thing back then.

Twenty five years......seems like a long time through the wind shield, not so much in the rear view mirror.

Damn.
Does seem to have passed faster than it looks like it will. And, yes, there were cell phones 25 years ago. I had my first one then. It was about 8 times the size of my iPad, and all the damned thing could do was make a call - and even that was chancy.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
And, yes, there were cell phones 25 years ago. I had my first one then. It was about 8 times the size of my iPad, and all the damned thing could do was make a call - and even that was chancy.
85-86 had one of these was a light 11 lbs, battery had about 2 hours of talk time, and only cost $3995.00

Attachments

• cellpics-0.jpg
    cellpics-0.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 133

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
85-86 had one of these was a light 11 lbs, battery had about 2 hours of talk time, and only cost $3995.00
My first one wasn't much better than that, though the cost had come down a bit by '91/92. I got it used for about $200, and soon bought one something like this for about $500:

panasonic.jpg

Mind you, I had no reason to need either one. I was just burning through money I shouldn't have been. I got 30 minutes of talk time per month, and used it up - and much more, besides - talking to girls.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My uncle called my father one day about 25 years ago, saying he bought a new cell phone. He said it was so small that it could fit in his pocket. It was this one...
FB7192BD-76F7-4BD9-ABD9-B98540015FCC.jpeg

The Zach Morris cell phone.