Colour of Dragons in Chinese Myth and Names

AidanO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been working deeper into my sword form, and rather than just knowing the moves, I enjoy knowing the names of the moves to go along with them. For a start it makes it a lot easier to refer to individual moves when talking to someone, rather than saying "Hey the move where you come back from a thrust, step back, circle your jian around to deflect low." It's much easier to say "Black Dragon wags its tail" (Or whatever) Since if you're in the same school, you know what you're each referring to.

This got me to thinking, why does the colour keep changing throughout the form. I don't know where I read it, but that the names of the moves implies on how they are to be used. While each move can be used many a way, it also gives you a little head start on how each should be used in the beginning.

This lead me to what is the difference between a Black and Green Dragon in Chinese myth? I know the Azure dragon is the East Wind and the Gold Dragon was the symbol of the Emperor (at least on his banners and robes) but was there any major differences between different coloured dragons?

Hence why this is in Chinese Culture and not Chinese swordsmanship.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found some info on dragon colors. I always thought green dragons were western dragons and my search didn't turn up any green dragons in Chinese culture.
Eastern Dragon Colors

What makes the dragon colors so important? Each has its own special meaning and symbol. They also have their own attributes to them. Eastern Dragons are born with their colors based upon the age and color of their parents. The colors of dragons are: white, red, black, blue, and yellow. Each is born to a different parent.

Black dragons are children of a thousand-year-old dragon that is black-gold. They are symbols of the North. They caused storms by battling in the air.47

Blue dragons are children of blue-gold dragons that are eight hundred years old. They are purest blue colors, and they are the sign of the coming spring. They are they are the symbol of the East.48

Yellow dragons are born from yellow-gold dragons who are one thousand years or older. They hold no symbol. They are secluded and wander alone. They appear at "the perfect moment" and at all other times remain hidden. Yellows are also the most revered of the dragons.49

Red dragons descend from a red-gold dragon who is about one thousand years of age. They are the symbol for the West, and are much like black dragons. They can cause storms in the skies when they fight.50

White dragons come from white-gold dragons of a thousand years of age. They symbolize the South. White is the Chinese color of mourning, and these dragons are a sign of death (which the Chinese did NOT deem evil).

Eastern Dragon Overview

Chinese Color Meanings

Dragon Colors (Eastern and Western)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool... I would've said look to the Cycle of Creation/Destruction & the colors associated with the elements.

But cool find Pam!!

OP
A

AidanO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I found some info on dragon colors. I always thought green dragons were western dragons and my search didn't turn up any green dragons in Chinese culture.

Thanks for finding that, it's rather interesting.

I find the lack of Green dragon notes strange (not a dig at you) because in the 54 point form, it clearly calls certain moves Green Dragon.

For example: Green Dragon emerges from the Water. Green Dragon Shows it's claws. They're often more 'offensively based' moves, whereas the moves named with a Black Dragon are the more defensive. I personally find that rather interesting. (Although both contain both deflections and strikes)

Thanks for the links, they'll come in handy, I'll continue on with a bit more research.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
i remeber seeing a form that started out very basic to very advanced and the parts of the for were named after animals so in essence as the form progressed so did the complexity maybe the dragons represent some form of level from beg-adv like in the kenpo/kempo [parker] maybe eac color represents a type of attack [like storm means stick in american kempo] just a thought---tom

OP
A

AidanO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Aidan,

As we previously discussed, any of my searches have corroborated Pam's findings. Google seems to come up empty-handed. I just uploaded my very first thread on China History Forum (about your quest for the Green Dragon). Check it out: http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?/topic/34727-green-dragons/

Arrivederci, Jon

Thank you for that Jon, it was a rather interesting read. Amazing detail on a common mistranslation into English. The word used in the native Chinese is so much more than just 'Green'.

With other research on the Qing Long, there is a certain element to the way the move is played out. It's certainly helpful in further research deeper into the form.

Latest Discussions