Collections? What do you collect?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that lucrative?

Very much so. the small ones can go for £30 upwards, average price is £50-80, armies cost hundreds of pounds purely for the man hours involved.
It never fails to amaze me the work he does on such small figures, the shading, faces etc.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not a collector. However, there are things I can't pass up. My penchant for tartan and single malt scotch has my cupboard filled with barely tasted top shelf scotch, and my closet filled with kilts I'll never wear. LOL!

I try very hard to collect high quality scotch but I'm never able to keep it around long enough to really qualify as having a "collection". I do enjoy the attempt, though.

:)

I collect books of all sorts. I seem to have a bit of an affective disorder to the end state of not being able too get rid of a book the I've purchased. Magazines, I can grugdingly part with but books? No way.

My wife seems to have the same issue so our house resembles a bit of a lending library. When we're elderly I hope that we are thought of as eccentric instead of as packrats that horde books.

Mark

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try very hard to collect high quality scotch but I'm never able to keep it around long enough to really qualify as having a "collection". I do enjoy the attempt, though.

:)

I collect books of all sorts. I seem to have a bit of an affective disorder to the end state of not being able too get rid of a book the I've purchased. Magazines, I can grugdingly part with but books? No way.

My wife seems to have the same issue so our house resembles a bit of a lending library. When we're elderly I hope that we are thought of as eccentric instead of as packrats that horde books.

Mark

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love books, all books and never get rid of them. This was a bit of a nightmare when we were in the RAF and moving everything three years to a new house! I've been collecting books for over forty years now.
The way I look at it, books are more important than anything, if you need to you can sit on them, use them as a table even a bed lol!

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to collect beer signs. Had quite the collection of lit and neon beer signs. Until my EX wife made me get rid of them all. She's the devil. I tried starting a collection of WWII stuff, my great uncle gave me a German helmet with a bullet hole in it that he brought back with him, don't know what ever happened to that tho. The devil probably has it.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love books, all books and never get rid of them. This was a bit of a nightmare when we were in the RAF and moving everything three years to a new house! I've been collecting books for over forty years now.
The way I look at it, books are more important than anything, if you need to you can sit on them, use them as a table even a bed lol!

Ya know, it had never occured to me to use them as furniture.lol!
The wife and I had been talking over replacing the couch this summer but now that you mention it you may have saved me a good bit of cash if I can talk Mindy in to it.....

Mark

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nothing seriously, I have collected quite a few AOL disks/CDs and small elephant statues (figurines doesn't sounds quite right! lol)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In common with some above, I have collected books all my life. I still have every one that I have ever owned apart from a couple which have mysteriously vanished as some things do over the years (like my ever-so-prized hardback copy of the "Children of Cherry Tree Farm" :().

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aluminum cans and platic bottles, lol. Let's see...
  • Comics and Graphic Novels.
  • I don't know if I'd say I collect weapons, but somehow, they're usually given to me as tokens from past instructors.
  • Books
  • I used to collect postcards, but at some point, my friends thought it would be funny to send me "wish you were here cards" with women in bikinis. After awhile, that got boring.
  • My favorite collection is usually the video clips of great fights, or training sessions from good fighters.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our book collection has grown to the point where there are no more walls for bookcases. We've pruned ruthlessly and have to follow a "Somebody Comes to Town, Somebody Leaves Town" policy (incidentally the title of a good novel by Cory Doctorow). Now that we've whittled it down to a few thousand that we really, really like it gets harder to get rid of any of them. What makes it worse is that Powell's Books is right here in Portland. And they give 20% more in trade than cash.

My wife's parents built special rolling bookcases for their private library and have filled a second house with the overflow.

So I have to say...

Hi, my name is Todd and I'm a biblioholic.

My parents are biblioholics, and they got me started on my addiction. There were always books around the house when I was growing up. My parents read in front of me and encouraged my habit. When I was in school most of my friends were readers, and I hung out in libraries and bookstores.

I know that my habit is out of control because

I usually pick up a book or newspaper first thing in the morning, and a book is usually the last thing I see before I go to sleep.

Sometimes I read to escape from problems.

I have spent money on books that I should have spent on food and rent.

Most of my friends biblioholics. We organize social events around reading and talk about our favorite authors.

There are books everywhere in my house so that I can get a fix when I want one

I married a serious reader who enables my addiction just like her biblioholic parents enabled hers.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very much so. the small ones can go for £30 upwards, average price is £50-80, armies cost hundreds of pounds purely for the man hours involved.
It never fails to amaze me the work he does on such small figures, the shading, faces etc.
Wow! Makes me wish I had a drop of artistic ability...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I tried to post some pictures we have on the computer but it won't do it. It's his patience as well that I simply haven't got!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of my friends biblioholics. We organize social events around reading and talk about our favorite authors.

I married a serious reader who enables my addiction just like her biblioholic parents enabled hers.

I am green with envy. I don't have anybody I can talk to about books. Mostly I get chastised for "sitting around" when I'm caught reading (in lieu of cleaning the bathroom):D My mom reads, but it's stuff like James Patterson while I'm trying to increase my knowledge of history and economics and zombie killing...I learned long ago not to discuss zombies with my mom. Or anybody, lest I find myself alone with the cheese tray.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am green with envy. I don't have anybody I can talk to about books. Mostly I get chastised for "sitting around" when I'm caught reading (in lieu of cleaning the bathroom):D My mom reads, but it's stuff like James Patterson while I'm trying to increase my knowledge of history and economics and zombie killing...I learned long ago not to discuss zombies with my mom. Or anybody, lest I find myself alone with the cheese tray.

Oh that was me too!
Reading is a solitary thing for me by choice, I really hate talking about the books I read. It's as if the characters are mine, I don't want to know what others think as it may spoil my thoughts. I don't like films of books for that reason either.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We ALL have some type of artistic ability, just not necessarily the same type as another. You just have to try and find your niche, be it painting, drawing, embroidery, sculpture, carving, photography, computer graphics, etc. etc. Even music or writing is something that requires some type of artistic skill.

I used to collect and put together/paint 1/35th scale military models and figures, my figures were not too bad. Learned a lot from shepard paine who is a modeler extraordinaire http://sheperdpaine.com/index.htm
Some of his work below, the first three are his... the last two are mine own.

Attachments

• $Shep Paine 01 Mountbatten_closeup.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 108
  • $Shep Paine 02 Parrott_Rifle_2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 113
  • $Shep Paine 03 Hamlet_and_the_Ghost.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 113
  • $armor 01_edited.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 118
  • $armor 06_edited.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 109

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned long ago not to discuss zombies with my mom. Or anybody, lest I find myself alone with the cheese tray.

Zombies are serious bidness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/sets/72157608399780601/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/sets/72157602202427046/

1460308519_6790dd8547.jpg

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to collect and put together/paint 1/35th scale military models and figures, my figures were not too bad. Learned a lot from shepard paine who is a modeler extraordinaire http://sheperdpaine.com/index.htm
Some of his work below, the first three are his... the last two are mine own.

Wow, yeah I am not quite that good... Here are some of mine:

1693510346_a13728d983.jpg

1604782277_a545edc3cd.jpg

3180170576_eb67085ce4.jpg

3180170616_b4674512fd.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Painting minature collections is a serious artistic endeavour, gentlemen. I salute you.

I became quite good at 25mm-35mm scale figures for RPG's and wargames but was as nothing to some of my friends of those long ago gaming days.

Sadly, I never got the opportunity to pass some work to one of those friends when I was a curator because he passed away too soon {:(} but some of his creations grace military museums around the country.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My mom reads, but it's stuff like James Patterson while I'm trying to increase my knowledge of history and economics and zombie killing...I learned long ago not to discuss zombies with my mom. Or anybody, lest I find myself alone with the cheese tray.

Zombie killing? Hmm. Here's something I wrote about that a while back

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
My mom reads, but it's stuff like James Patterson while I'm trying to increase my knowledge of history and economics and zombie killing..

My wife and I have the same disconnect. I have nothing against fiction, big fan in point of fact, but I don't like to disengage my intellect to the degree that most of it requires to find enjoyable. The wife reads mainly as a form of escapism. Mindless romance novels and the like. Now I have my own guilty pleasures as far as such things go(I love horror and old pulp era writing) but I remain amazed that someone as intelligent as my wife would elect to fill her head with the amount of vacuous inanity that she does by reading crap like Johanna Lindsay and Danielle Steele. The intellectual equivalent of twinkies.

Good fiction, however, the kind that makes one work to parse the themes, now that is worthwhile.

Wow, I didn't realize that I had become a book snob.

Mark

P.S. We need a good nerd smiley. :)

Latest Discussions